Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Replies

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

From Colorado and I always say "pop." It's funny because we have a lot of people who are not from this state and I had a guy tell me that I must not be from Colorado since I say pop. The weird thing is everyone I know that was born in Colorado or lived here forever says pop too. :|

I took the quiz and it figured out where I was located haha. Had two cities from Colorado and one in Kansas.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

In northern England we say 'pop' In southern England (where I'm originally from) we say 'fizzy drink' because we lack imagination, but at least it covers everything that isn't coke.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

Who hates the smell of popcorn??!!!

That's what I was wondering!
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

She would hate my office, we have one of those theatre-style poppers that our social committee uses once every couple months for charity fundraisers and stuff. We pop with coconut oil and that movie-theatre seasoning and It. Smells. Incredible.

Oooh, I would love that.

It's the easiest way to get people to donate to anything, by giving them popcorn in exchange for it. The lure of popcorn is strong in this office (well, food generally, but in what office isn't it?)

Confession: I think popcorn smells way better than it tastes. Like, I'll have a handful now and then but I can't remember the last time I had a bag of it for myself or actually purchased any.

I love to eat popcorn too, but you're right, sometimes the smell is better. I wonder if they make a popcorn scented candle...

I LOVE popcorn. But I rarely eat it anymore. Every time I do my weight is up the next day, even though I don't put butter or salt on it.

I live off popcorn at work. Specifically, CVS house brand called Gold Emblem, I think. It's soooo good and low cal, for popcorn. No weighing issues here.

Popcorn for the win. I eat a big bowl every night!!

I love LOVE L-O-V-E popcorn! I can't handle that microwave stuff though, I make hot air popped with real salted butter. Or popcorn from the movie theatre, I said this early in the thread, but I have been known to go there, buy a bag of popcorn and then come home and eat it.....

I make the air popped too. I use either margarine or baking spray depending on how many calories I have left and then use one of the many many popcorn seasonings I own. Have also tried taco seasoning on it which is also yummy.

Now for a confession. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group but I could take or leave ice cream or cookies for that matter and.....I have never eaten one of those protein bars you guys are always raving about.

Runs away and hides

I've never had one of those protein bars or Quest bars either. I have had a Clif bar before..does that count?
    I do love my ice cream and cookies though. :smiley:

Six was the Doomsday killer.

I eat Cliff bars.....and I used to love this one kind of pure protein bar, but they stopped making it a while back.....

Which pure protein bar do you miss?

It was a soft baked chocolate peanut butter.....SO GOOD!

Hmm, I must have never been able to try that one. :( It doesn't sound familiar. I love those bars too. My favorite right now is salted caramel.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    spamarie wrote: »

In northern England we say 'pop' In southern England (where I'm originally from) we say 'fizzy drink' because we lack imagination, but at least it covers everything that isn't coke.
    Yep, that's what I always said growing up. My grandma called it 'fizzy pop' so when we moved to Canada I thought pop sounded sweet and old-fashioned. Now I'm used to it.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdo's...I prefer cold weather to warm. It's easier to get warm when you're cold and also winter clothes are my FAVE!! I love sweaters, leggings, skinny jeans, sweater dresses, boots, and my all time favorite- COATS!! <3

I hear you, but the cute winter clothes are only wearable for a few weeks here before you're stuck in your down parka and long underwear and your Sorels (mine look like this...) NOT cute. The mittens, toque, scarf, ski jacket, ski pants, and winter boots I have to stuff behind my office door every day in the winter are not my idea of a nice outfit, lol.

I do like getting to run around in my riding boots and fancy wool pea coat and no fleece tights under my trousers for a few weeks in spring and fall, but it's so short-lived. Sigh.

I disagree. I think those boots are adorable. Are they comfortable and warm? I need a good long lasting pair of snow boots for when we do get snow and I have to trek through it. Mind you, I'm talking Kansas winters, not Canadian winters.

They're coldrated to -32C, I think, so with a pair of wool socks they keep me warm every day. I don't know how cold it gets there but I think they'd be more than adequate for you. However, they are very, very sturdy so they're a bit heavy and might be a bit of overkill as you can probably find something a bit more flexible and lighter that would still do the job. Sorels are some of the best boots out there for cold and snow, though, so I'd definitely recommend checking them out for a good boot for you.

Chiming in here to say that Sorels are the best! I live in Ottawa and with windchill it can easily get -40 below.... *continues to catch up...* page 1324!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Update from yesterday: I let the dog sleep inside. I locked up the entire house (we live in the boonies, and usually don't). I couldn't sleep. I'm exhausted this morning.

Confession - kinda: I tried out for Wheel of Fortune (the TV show) once. I got called back for a second 'interview.' I wasn't chosen and I haven't watched the show since. It's like I'm trying to punish them for not choosing me. Which is dumb, because they don't know if I am watching or not. (The guy that was chosen was a school 'lunch lady' and won over $40,000. He definitely needed the money more than me.)

That's hilarious that you won't watch it. I do really good playing it at home, like my husband will say, you should be on the show but I know I would completely choke. I hate talking in front of people or being the center of attention.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.

Must have been a day for this I came in today with my shirt on backwards lol

Hahaha! How long did it take you to notice?

As soon as I walked in one of my co-workers told me lol. Good thing she is my person and if anyone gets that reference we can be best friends, Sorry for stealing your line @MoHousdon ;)

Grey's Anatomy

Yay for all you that knew it was Grey's. I love that show even though I was some annoyed when they killed off Derek!! :'(

Ohhh, I'm still mad about that!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    I confess that most of the threads in the Chit - Chat section drive me absolutely bonkers. "Would you kiss the person above" "Compliment the person above" Blah blah blah. I guess because it's blatant compliment fishing maybe...or perhaps because there are a ton of married/partnered people out there flirting and being inappropriate with other people. I don't know...but it grosses me out. So I try not to look at even the titles...and I never click in. Did it once...won't make that mistake again, lol. :dizzy:

I totally agree. I can only hope their partners know what they're doing online, because yikes.

I don't really get the attraction either. I'm single but I guess I'm not interested in virtual ego stroking? Not into long distance relationships? Not interested in anyone outside of, like, a 200-foot radius?

Why can't I meet a man between the computer and the fridge, that would be the ideal situation

It would be my luck to find one who gets into those threads though.

LOL. Why can't the man bring the food from the fridge to the computer?!
  • FroggyBug
    Ugh having a rough day today… Took yesterday off work to do a mental health day… I did my C25k run, walked around 2 different malls (did buy a few things, but not much), drank some Starbucks, actually got a mani/pedi…and then last night was rough, my nails are already smudged, came in this morning to a scolding from my boss (who is notoriously difficult to please, but still…) and I’ve just had it. I WAS less stressed yesterday until dealing with my defiant 3.5 yr old, and now this…
    Weight’s down a bit, and I hit goal weight#2. Not happy (still) with how I look, so I lowered it again to 120. I’m 5’4.5; that should still be ok. 128.5 looks lumpy on me. Hoping the jogging will help thin my legs/hips more.

Big Hugs!! Sorry that you've been having a hard time lately.
  • ShibaEars

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

I would be so confused too. I call it pop, I think all of Canada does. I sometimes say soda as a kind of joke when I'm at home, but with a weird pronunciation. Like I'll ask my brother if he wants a "sewwww-da"
  • ShibaEars
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Just got home from leg day. Pretty sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow. But I squatted 75 and deadlifted 85!! Both of those are over half my body weight! Yay!

Way to go! I did leg day yesterday too, minus the deadlifts. My legs are pretty achy today too!
  • ShibaEars

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"

We do the same thing in my family. Do you want a coke? OK what kind?

I don't understand this, coke is a BRAND!

If they asked me what kind of Coke, I would assume they mean diet, cherry, vanilla, etc.
  • ShibaEars
    I am never, ever gonna get caught up in the batcave! UGH!

Nope, I'm waaayyyy behind in the confessions one over there
  • ShibaEars
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

I tried the quiz and got an error at the end so I don't know.

But it's pop - I am Canadian after all. ;)

Lol, it wasn't set up for Canadians!
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member

Nope, that would be me, Susie. Spokane would be @nonoelmo And you're welcome any time!

Or you could come visit me in Portland! :-) The quiz also nails me as being from the inland Pacific NW - Spokane, Boise and Las Vegas are what came up for me, I think. I grew up in rural eastern Oregon, so Spokane/Boise are close enough.

I grew up with parents who used "pop". I said "pop" growing up, then met enough "soda" people that I use them interchangeably now. @WestCoastJo82 - the quiz nailed us!
  • ShibaEars
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    You guys have a drive thru Liquor store?! really?! that's crazy!

*continues with the quiz fluffy put up*

Awww it didn't tell me where I was from. :disappointed: I must say you have some crazy things, but I was really surprised to see phrases from England. Like 'Car boot sale" and "lorry" and "rubbernecking"

I got the error twice - I'll try later from my computer, maybe that will help.

I use rubbernecking - as the action that causes the traffic jam.

Me too!
  • ShibaEars
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!

When I would stay at my grandma's I would always look in her fridge to see if she had any icing & then I would take a spoon & eat some.

In high school my friends & I would go to the grocery store on our spares just to buy icing to eat.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member

I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

I would be so confused too. I call it pop, I think all of Canada does. I sometimes say soda as a kind of joke when I'm at home, but with a weird pronunciation. Like I'll ask my brother if he wants a "sewwww-da"

That's how I imagine Canadians pronouncing 'soda' in my head, eh!
  • ShibaEars
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.

Must have been a day for this I came in today with my shirt on backwards lol

That made me laugh out loud. Another confession. I've put my undies on inside out on more than one occasion without noticing it all day.

As far as an American expression for the zipper being down, I think there are lots. Your barn door's open, your fly's open, and my mind has gone blank for others. :|

Yesterday I must've still been half asleep while I was getting dressed & noticed I had put my underwear on backwards. LOL! Luckily I noticed it right away & fixed it.

That would be uncomfortable :lol:

I was having balance issues earlier this week and kept tripping over my underwear as I tried to get them on... then I came very close to going face first into wall.
  • pattysolis333
    pattysolis333 Posts: 55 Member
    I haven't been on MFP for a while because I gained about 7 lbs. :/ I'm back on because I lost 3 of those 7 lbs. :)