Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

Took the quiz and I got Buffalo, Rochester, and Rockford. Pretty accurate as I'm from upstate New York!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

POP ALL THE WAY!!!!

I always am told I sound like I'm from Chicago or Cleveland..no idea why or how as I was born in Dallas and have lived in Ohio majority of my life!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I tend to call each by its actual name, whatever it is I'm drinking. Cream soda, Fanta, Miranda, Coke, Pepsi, etc. :)
  • WestCoastJo82
    edited July 2015
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Edit: typo
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!

So I took it and I got Indianapolis, Des Moines, and Witchita.. Hmm I guess I can understand Indianapolis as I grew up two hours away from there!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

POP ALL THE WAY!!!!

I always am told I sound like I'm from Chicago or Cleveland..no idea why or how as I was born in Dallas and have lived in Ohio majority of my life!
    Pop up here too!
    And because I'm a transplant, I think my accent is all over the place. We know a couple of South Africans and it's a joke between us that us Australians have to stick together, as we ALL get asked if we're Aussies! Our Aussie friends get asked if they're British. Can't win!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Me too!! I lived in VA for three years and picked it up down there. I've been back in Ohio for almost three years now and I still use y'all!
  • LBuehrle8
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

POP ALL THE WAY!!!!

Pop up here too!
    And because I'm a transplant, I think my accent is all over the place. We know a couple of South Africans and it's a joke between us that us Australians have to stick together, as we ALL get asked if we're Aussies! Our Aussie friends get asked if they're British. Can't win!

So my SO and I were discussing this one day- I told him us Americans get mixed up between British and Australian accents and he said they over there think Americans and Australians sound alike- I couldn't believe it!!
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!

I always felt weird about saying it. Same with saying "ma'am" and "sir." I would go over to friends' houses and they'd get in SO much trouble for not saying these to their parents. Calling my mom ma'am would be SO weird.

One time I was in school and a teacher asked me a question. I replied "yes." She stared at me and said "yes what???" I was just confused until I finally realized she wanted me to say ma'am. I didn't mean any disrespect... just feels weird on my tongue. Maybe my dad's northern blood got into me (and for someone born in Texas my mom sounds pretty northern herself :lol:)
  • WestCoastJo82
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!

Me too!! I lived in VA for three years and picked it up down there. I've been back in Ohio for almost three years now and I still use y'all!

That's because southern Ohio thinks it's the south - people from Cincy come up to Cbus and keep you surrounded with y'alls ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I call it soda.

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p
  • FluffySandwich
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

POP ALL THE WAY!!!!

Pop up here too!

So my SO and I were discussing this one day- I told him us Americans get mixed up between a British and Australian accents and he said they think Americans and Australians sound alike- I couldn't believe it!!
    WHAT!? That baffles me!! I admit I sometimes get mixed up about whether someone is Australian or British. I usually guess right, but I think it's just luck on my side. In Canada a woman once asked me if I was from Australia and I was very very very confused.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

I call it soda.

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p
    Interesting! Mine is NY or Providence. :)
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

I call it soda.

Try it!

That's because southern Ohio thinks it's the south - people from Cincy come up to Cbus and keep you surrounded with y'alls ;)

Hahaha that's so true!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

A few months. Maybe he is over-deodorizing? lol

Which is better than under-deodorizing!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Aww, I missed the fun with the temperature charts. Here are some Australian ones.

Sydney:

0-10C: OH MY GOD IT'S SO FREEZING WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE
    10-20C: It's cold! wear a jacket!
    20-30C: Warm
    30-40C: OH MY GOD IT'S SO HOT WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE

Only three hours south of them, in the capital:

-10-0C: Cold this morning. Grass is crunchy. Wear a coat, scarf, gloves and earmuffs walking to work.
    0-10C: Fresh. Gloves, scarf and earmuffs. Coat not required.
    10-20C: So lovely and warm! Yay!
    20-30C: Perrrrrrrrrrrrfect.
    30-40C: Quite hot!

Sydney are quite the self-centred drama queens when it comes to weather.
    Haha! I was in Brisbane for a while. I recall it was either hot and dry or hot and wet. That was it as far as weather went!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I have to convert, but can do so in my head....I prefer lbs, feet/inches, km and fahrenheit, lol, I know, so messed up!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Welcome back @Lois_1989 :)

+1