Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

I can't blame you at all--it's the principle of the thing. I absolutely can't stand that kind of "wasta" myself. (Wasta is the Arabic word for it... the English one is slipping my mind at the moment. Basically means getting what you didn't earn/deserve because you know people in high places...)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to move you all out to the pool deck at this rate, but it's also a great place for a dinner party ;)

I'm excited to go wine shopping, it's the best part of all dinner parties.

There's a pool too???!!! :lol:

Oh, yeah, we are ballin', haha. We live in an incredibly 1970s building with almost entirely senior citizens, but there's an indoor and outdoor pool with grilling areas, fitness centre, party room, guest suite, tennis courts, heated underground parking...I mean, it's got popcorn ceilings and weird textured concrete on some walls (and a giant floor-to-ceiling wall mirror in the living room) and some serious 70s styling in the common areas of the building, but it's fully concrete (so we can't hear ANYTHING from other apartments) no one ever uses the amenities apart from the occasional grandkid of a condo owner (so we're always the only people in the hot tub or whatever) and it's pretty impeccably maintained (and our unit had a bunch of very modern renos not long ago). We lucked out big-time with finding it and I would absolutely buy a unit in the building if the condo fees weren't like $800/month on a two-bedroom.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

I can't blame you at all--it's the principle of the thing. I absolutely can't stand that kind of "wasta" myself. (Wasta is the Arabic word for it... the English one is slipping my mind at the moment. Basically means getting what you didn't earn/deserve because you know people in high places...)

Nepotism - and yeah, it blows.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."

I would cry!!! :(
    Go sleep somewhere else!!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Still behind, but a few observations and questions from page 1295:
    @lilaclovebird - Love the new profile pic!
    @kellyjellybellyjelly - So glad you finally have a profile pic! Love it!
    @Italian_Buju - You've mentioned your daughter's sister before. Just wondering what going on with her pregnancy?
    @orangesmartie - Not sure if you're back yet, but I miss you!
    @Susieq_1994 - I didn't see you mention it. Did the in-laws like the peanut butter pie?
    I'm sure there will be more soon!

I don't know and probably never will. :) They're the kind of people who will assure me that it was fantastic even if they thought it was so nasty that they tossed it straight into the dump--too polite for their own good. I'm not really a fan of that, to be honest, because I like to know honestly where I stand with people. :/
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

Average mean temperatures for January (in both C and F):

Thunder Bay: -15 / 5
    Edmonton: -11.7 / 11
    Montreal: - 8.9/16
    Dayton, OH: -2.5/27.5
    New Jersey: -1/30.5 (and the area of Kansas I checked was about the same)
    Portland, OR: 5.2/41
    Dayton, OH: 8/46
    Saudi Arabia: 14/57
    Corpus Christie, TX: 14/57

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

ETA: Obviously I didn't do everyone. I just picked a few people at random.

Wow Saudi Arabia and TX are the same temp?
    Thankfully, I don't have to deal with Saudi Arabia's summer weather :laugh:

Even at its worse, the average is 35c / 95f

• Susieq_1994
    Options
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

Not sure why you even bothered with Saudi Arabia! I bag the hottest place of all of us, though... :p
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well, we talked to the guy from Oakwood today. We did get approved by the bank, but for the house we wanted we'll have to come up with nearly 7K down and the payments will be close to 700/month before the lot rent we'll have to pay too. They did say we could go to something a bit smaller and cheaper but no matter what we choose we're going to have to have a large down payment. We're not exactly sure what we're doing from here, we'd love to buy something and stop renting, and we'd LOVE to get out of this bad area we're in, but I'm not sure we'll be able to come up with that much money by November 19th, which is when the "conditional" offer runs out.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdo's...I prefer cold weather to warm. It's easier to get warm when you're cold and also winter clothes are my FAVE!! I love sweaters, leggings, skinny jeans, sweater dresses, boots, and my all time favorite- COATS!! <3

I'm a weirdo too then. There is a limit to how many clothes you can take off and be decent in public when it's too hot.

You can add as many layers as you need when it's cold. And I love sweaters!!

I am joining the weirdo club. This is exactly what I say all the time. :) You can only take off so much, and naked skin is gross when its all sweaty and touching skin. I can never run in a sports bra for this reason (plus I am too modest aka a prude).
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.

Must have been a day for this I came in today with my shirt on backwards lol

That made me laugh out loud. Another confession. I've put my undies on inside out on more than one occasion without noticing it all day.

As far as an American expression for the zipper being down, I think there are lots. Your barn door's open, your fly's open, and my mind has gone blank for others. :|

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Dayton, OH is on the list twice. Should that be something else?

Also, 30°F sounds about right for January because February is usually our coldest month for some weird reason. It was unusually warm in January this year. On our warmest day it was 74°F or 23.33°C. People were wearing shorts and it was weird.

I have family in Dayton! (Yes, I'm completely random and that had nothing to do with the conversation lol!)

Well come visit me!! I live in Cbus but my family is all in Dayton! I go back quite frequently as its only a bit over an hour away!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."
    Inside... for her protection. :)

She's 160 pounds...She'd probably be bigger than the prowler. LOL

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

I love everything about this so much. I especially love the look on Tig's face. Bet you didn't think I remembered your dog's name was Antigone, did you?! :smiley:

• Susieq_1994
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.
    Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

The one I know of is "XYZ!", which stands for Xamine Your Zipper--or you can say "XYZ, PDQ!" which means, "Xamine Your Zipper... Pretty Darn Quick!"
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Well, we talked to the guy from Oakwood today. We did get approved by the bank, but for the house we wanted we'll have to come up with nearly 7K down and the payments will be close to 700/month before the lot rent we'll have to pay too. They did say we could go to something a bit smaller and cheaper but no matter what we choose we're going to have to have a large down payment. We're not exactly sure what we're doing from here, we'd love to buy something and stop renting, and we'd LOVE to get out of this bad area we're in, but I'm not sure we'll be able to come up with that much money by November 19th, which is when the "conditional" offer runs out.

Eee good luck!! Fingers crossed for your family and good thoughts your way!! <3
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

The one I know of is "XYZ!", which stands for Xamine Your Zipper--or you can say "XYZ, PDQ!" which means, "Xamine Your Zipper... Pretty Darn Quick!"

You just blew my mind! I confess I never knew what the XYZ stood for :blush:
  • Oberon21
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    and this is the middle/part 2 of the tracking (weight/steps/red or green alcohol/red or green steps)

The message function doesn't seem to allow attachments. So...if you want this spreadsheet, feel free to message me your email and I can send it... I do this every day. My sister and my friend's husband text me their stats, and I add them to the spreadsheet and send it back out to them.

THANK YOU! This is really helpful! I can create something similar, but substitute my goals in there. (I'm terrible at step counts because I don't have a Fitbit or other device - I just use an app on my phone called Pacer, but it can be fairly inaccurate.) I would track minutes exercised, flights of stairs climbed, or miles on bike maybe. Where I fall off the wagon is with sugar consumption, so I could track that, too.

Very cool!!

If you message me your email, I'll email you the spreadsheet so you don't have to create it!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    We have a BIG thunderstorm going through right now. There was a tornado around the city about an hour ago but it didn't touch down, fortunately. I moved my car into the garage and covered my plants just in time - there was hail the size of golf balls for about 5 minutes! EEek!

There was a storm that went through central or southern Alberta yesterday, some of the pictures were nuts! Entire crops were ruined, peoples windows were smashed & trees were stripped of leaves & bark.

Hope your place continues to be okay!

This storm talk reminds me. Most of Oman is built on the inside of a very deep river, so I'm pretty sure I have you beat on storm pictures. Behold:

6zkobffrzyr6.jpg

cfhoesucuw8l.jpg

2ludm4o6fqqr.jpg

The guys in brown are the royal armed forces.
  • Oberon21
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [/quote]

Congratulations on becoming my new best friends. That is to this day one of my most favorite episodes.

[/quote]

I have never seen Friends. I guess I am off the friend list. :(

ETA: Shoot tried to cut that down and got messed up quotes.