Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    @Peleroja I'm sorry to hear about your bad day--that must have really stunk. :-/ I know I'd be really upset if I had to drive/ride 5+ hours, just to turn around and go home again. I hope you get another chance to go and do your hike. :)

@OrangeSmartie I hope you have a great vacation. :) I think it's just what you need after having such a difficult few weeks.

Confession: I blew my calorie goal on those three-ingredient peanut butter cookies for like the fifth or sixth time since I discovered them. @kelly_c_77, @tubbs216, and @Italian_Buju, I may have to hate you guys for talking about them to begin with... :p

Second confession: My weigh-in today puts me back into the "overweight" category for the first time in almost three years. :(
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    @MelissaPhippsFeagins @nonoelmo @MoHousdon
    Turns out he was just joking. He had NO idea it would hurt my feelings and when we talked, he was about to apologize and I asked him not to. It wasn't his fault I took it the wrong way. He said he knows I'm smart and thinks I'm "young, beautiful, and have a lot of potential." Yeah he used those words. :blush:
    He's encouraging me to go back to school, which is good.

I keep getting this feeling that he wants me to be happy, not just rich. :wink:

I wondered if he might have been joking and wondered if he thought it were completely obvious (to him) that he was joking.

You are smart and beautiful (young too) and you have TONS of potential. Totally get your tucus back in school. The sooner the better. I speak from loads of experience (and others here have taken similar paths) that the sooner you get back into school the better. It does not become easier to return the longer you wait. You can PM me any time if you need extra or specific encouragement but you can do this.

Step 1: Do you have all the prerequisites out of the way? Do those even one at at time while you are working. Take a FUN class first to get yourself back in the school mode. It can even be a non-credit course just for fun. Do it.)
    Step 2: (this may be step one) fill out a FAFSA and make a note to fill it out again Jan 1 or 2 of next year.
    Step 3: (notice this is NOT at all the first step,) figure out what you want to do, what you want to major in and get in to talk to an academic adviser about what steps are needed. (Repeat this step, often you need to talk to multiple people to get all the answers you need.)
    Step 4: Look at resources and scholarships and other funding sources. When I started back I was in talking to the financial aid advisers, academic advisers, and the women support center. I asked classmates questions, and just kept asking until I figured things out. Look for scholarships. Keep looking. If you go to a community college get great grades and join the honor society (I swear to you this helped me get a $10,000 deans scholarship when I transferred to a four-year college.)
    Step 5: Understand and internalize that you CAN do this. We believe in you. Look to others for inspiration too, I know this amazing talented group of people can offer great insight into their experience and what they did.

Thumbnail of my experience:
    At age 32 with a medically fragile infant and a 2 year old as a stay at home mom to care for those kids, working graveyard shift, I thought I'd take "one" class a semester and maybe someday earn an associates degree.
    On my 42nd birthday I was conferred a PhD in chemistry.

I believe in you!!!

OMG! There IS hope for me!

I keep thinking at 26 it might be too late. :disappointed:

I have some prerequisites out of the way but I never made it far because I was always over loaded. Now, I have nothing but time and maybe I could get my friend Alycia back into school and she could get a degree too!

I work overnights and have lots of time for studying and my Sergeants and Lieutenant all think I should study while working. It would be nice to get a Bachelor's Degree in something. :smiley:

I finished my Bachelor's in 2007, which made me...32. I was married, had a toddler and was working as a full-time police officer. Then I went back again and finished my MBA in 2012. You can totally do it!!!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Had to confess this...

4z4j9371z5xz.jpg
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I'm having a good day today. Feeling very chirpy this morning. Had an epic session in the gym last night. (PT session, weights and a spin class). Just waiting for the DOMs to set in!

And after much too-ing and fro-ing we finally booked our holiday! Who knew coordinating 5 people's diaries and wants would be so difficult, especially when we all say 'oh, i'm easy, i don't mind'. Turns out we do. Anyway, we're having 3 weeks in Cyprus in September. The smarties and I fly out on the 5th and have a few days on our own, then my parents and Charlie come out on the 9th. Mr Smartie flies back on the 15th for work, and the rest of us fly back on the 25th. I can't wait! Its been such a horrible year, we all just need a relaxing sunshine break.

I am feeling a little narked about having to go into central london for a meeting today and i'll miss my spin class this evening :( but really, its a minor inconvenience, because i love walking round London, looking at the blue plaques and the architecture.

Hope i can keep things under control for the next few weeks, and get some lbs off before i go!

This sounds fabulous! You will have a great time on the beach with Charlie!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I am holding a conversation with myself. :neutral: It is time for me to get some sleep. Goodnight all!

I'm totally here! But I am at work and had to make my rounds. :smiley: I do a little bit more than just sit around all night watching videos on Youtube. :smiley:

I want to take something difficult but not too hard. Maybe a beginner chemistry course? I've always hoped to understand chemistry. I made the attempt when I was married but my now ex-husband had me signed up for History, Biology, English Literature, and an Algebra refresher course along with Chemistry. I was also working 60+ hours a week bartending....how I was supposed to do ALL of that and keep the house together while he was unemployed was a little beyond me.

I think I will start with Math for my first class. I'm good at math and it makes sense to me.

I admire people who understand math. I always struggled with it. But do it! I love school (obviously). I love to learn.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm not caught up but just came to complain that traffic and construction made our 3 hr drive into over 5 hours, so by the time we got to the trailhead we wouldn't have finished hiking until 10PM. So...we had to turn around and drive back, which we're still doing. So ten hours of driving for absolutely nothing. Not impressed.

I would be SOOOO mad.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone in my family is right-handed. My left-handed professor in college stated that when he was younger, everyone at his school believed left-handedness meant the devil had a hold on you or something dumb like that. He was forced to have his hand bound and learn to write with his right hand. Now he can do both pretty perfectly, but he writes with his right hand and does pretty much everything else with his left. I can't believe they would force something on a child like that.... hearing about his past made me pretty upset.

I have a strong craving for some vinegary chips. Or banana peppers. Or pickle juice. DILL PICKLE CHIPS <3 When I get vinegar cravings I can really go bonkers.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Woke up on the floor with my head in the fridge a little while back. :# (I sleep eat - among other things)
    I'd eaten a 65g chocolate mousse and a Kitkat, apparently.

I don't even like chocolate.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    @Peleroja I'm sorry to hear about your bad day--that must have really stunk. :-/ I know I'd be really upset if I had to drive/ride 5+ hours, just to turn around and go home again. I hope you get another chance to go and do your hike. :)

@OrangeSmartie I hope you have a great vacation. :) I think it's just what you need after having such a difficult few weeks.

Confession: I blew my calorie goal on those three-ingredient peanut butter cookies for like the fifth or sixth time since I discovered them. @kelly_c_77, @tubbs216, and @Italian_Buju, I may have to hate you guys for talking about them to begin with... :p

Second confession: My weigh-in today puts me back into the "overweight" category for the first time in almost three years. :(

I'm there with you... :(
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    LloydGK wrote: »
    Woke up on the floor with my head in the fridge a little while back. :# (I sleep eat - among other things)

I can't even imagine the crick in your neck! ;)
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Turns out he was just joking. He had NO idea it would hurt my feelings and when we talked, he was about to apologize and I asked him not to. It wasn't his fault I took it the wrong way. He said he knows I'm smart and thinks I'm "young, beautiful, and have a lot of potential." Yeah he used those words. :blush:

I wondered if he might have been joking and wondered if he thought it were completely obvious (to him) that he was joking.

You are smart and beautiful (young too) and you have TONS of potential. Totally get your tucus back in school. The sooner the better. I speak from loads of experience (and others here have taken similar paths) that the sooner you get back into school the better. It does not become easier to return the longer you wait. You can PM me any time if you need extra or specific encouragement but you can do this.

Step 1: Do you have all the prerequisites out of the way? Do those even one at at time while you are working. Take a FUN class first to get yourself back in the school mode. It can even be a non-credit course just for fun. Do it.)
    Step 2: (this may be step one) fill out a FAFSA and make a note to fill it out again Jan 1 or 2 of next year.
    Step 3: (notice this is NOT at all the first step,) figure out what you want to do, what you want to major in and get in to talk to an academic adviser about what steps are needed. (Repeat this step, often you need to talk to multiple people to get all the answers you need.)
    Step 4: Look at resources and scholarships and other funding sources. When I started back I was in talking to the financial aid advisers, academic advisers, and the women support center. I asked classmates questions, and just kept asking until I figured things out. Look for scholarships. Keep looking. If you go to a community college get great grades and join the honor society (I swear to you this helped me get a $10,000 deans scholarship when I transferred to a four-year college.)
    Step 5: Understand and internalize that you CAN do this. We believe in you. Look to others for inspiration too, I know this amazing talented group of people can offer great insight into their experience and what they did.

Thumbnail of my experience:
    At age 32 with a medically fragile infant and a 2 year old as a stay at home mom to care for those kids, working graveyard shift, I thought I'd take "one" class a semester and maybe someday earn an associates degree.
    On my 42nd birthday I was conferred a PhD in chemistry.

I believe in you!!!

OMG! There IS hope for me!

I keep thinking at 26 it might be too late. :disappointed:

I have some prerequisites out of the way but I never made it far because I was always over loaded. Now, I have nothing but time and maybe I could get my friend Alycia back into school and she could get a degree too!

I work overnights and have lots of time for studying and my Sergeants and Lieutenant all think I should study while working. It would be nice to get a Bachelor's Degree in something. :smiley:

Assuming your average life expectancy is about 82... do you really believe anything is too late at age 26?

My grandfather, born a (SusieQ is the B word for illegitimate on your list of words not to use?) born an illegitimate child in 1902 went back to school in the late 1950's for his third degree. That was almost completely unheard of at the time. No judgement whatsoever to you - Just STOP limiting yourself with false deadlines and made up limitations. It is not at all too late. Now is a wonderful time. You have some life experience, you have time, you have more of an idea of why it is important, you recognize how much it will change your life. Start taking some steps to get moving. Don't just jump in too fast, though, ease back in with one or maybe two classes. The adult brain does change and if you have been out of school you have to relearn how to learn. It is all a good thing but it is different too.

Do it!! :smiley:<3

Well, I don't like the word, but not because of the original meaning it implies--I don't like it because it's used as an insulting/vulgar expression nowadays, not a legitimate word meaning "someone who was born outside of the sanctity of marriage". While I dislike it, it isn't an anxiety trigger when it's used as originally intended--however, I prefer the phrase "illegitimate" over it, due to my above explanation.

I get it. I don't think of any child as illegitimate. However, back in 1902 it was a huge stigma and I added that detail to try to convey how much my grandfather overcame. He was born to a young single mother in a small town. He didn't know who his father was and for a long time he didn't know who his mother was as he was adopted. He overcame a lot and part of that was going back to school three times as an adult to pursue the careers he wanted. :smiley:
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    LloydGK wrote: »

Oh shoot, that stinks! Tell your sleep eating self to ship that chocolate over to Ohio!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Those cookies are so delicious! Sorry about your weigh in though!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the commiseration, everyone - we didn't get home until eleven last night so it ended up being about thirteen hours of pointless driving all together (and four fast-food meals for my husband, lol.) Brutal. I'm not sure he's ever going to forgive me...he was trying hard to not be mad about it but the man treasures his time off work so spending it in highway gridlock with an annoyed wife in a hot car was really not his idea of fun (nor mine), but it was at least my own darn fault for deciding to use a holiday Monday to drive a two-lane highway.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I am just a little excited to take my daugher to her check up at the cancer center tomorrow. They have recently had end of treatment bells donated to them and she will get to ring it! After over two years of worry and watching, we ended treatment in June and she has been cancer free since then. She may never really realize how big a thing she has been through, but I know there are parts she will never forget.

Stories like THIS are why I work at MD Anderson. We get new blogs from cancer patients every day who get to ring the bell that signals "I DID IT! I WON!"

ETA: I think I'mma cry.... :cry: :bawling:

I work for Texas Children's! Hey neighbor! Yes I have been fortunate than I work for the best place to treat her. My niece is a nurse at MDA and loves it sooo much.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    OK, I shouldn't be here but had to do a quick check. Yay for so much good news in here! @bkhamill congrats on the new grandbaby, @crosbylee awesome cancer-free news, @orangesmartie so glad to hear you all WANT to work it out, and have fun in the UK @LBuehrle8!

I'm out for the next week (leave for conference tomorrow) and have no chance of keeping up here, but I'll try to pop into the bat cave. @MoHousdon and @jthurman3 I want to hear about your SL 5x5 workouts this week!

Dang it! I forgot I told you I was starting that this week. :o Guess I need to start that this week. We (Mr. Mo and I) were supposed to start this morning, but I had to take Rachael to her school to change her classes. Long irritating story.

I'm going to watch the second video at lunch today so I can learn workout B. Maybe Mr. Mo will want to go tonight after dinner. Doubtful, but maybe.

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Okay to all my British pals- asked the SO what marmite is ( I didn't want to tell him y'all had already told me as he likes explaining those kinds of things to me :)) his reponse- "Eugh marmite is some disgusting vegetable spread. It's slogan is you either love it or hit it which tells you a lot!" I cracked up as this was the same response from a lot of you!

There is a lot of Marmite hate going on in this thread. I may have to disown you all!

I might have some Marmite on cheese on toast for tea. The tea of kings.

Please explain to me what is appealing about that?? Like I can't believe that would be tasty at all!

Marmite is truly a love/hate thing. I can't explain its appeal other than I quite like salty things and it reminds me of being a kid.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm not caught up but just came to complain that traffic and construction made our 3 hr drive into over 5 hours, so by the time we got to the trailhead we wouldn't have finished hiking until 10PM. So...we had to turn around and drive back, which we're still doing. So ten hours of driving for absolutely nothing. Not impressed.
    That is sad. What a bummer. I was thinking of you and how excited you were to go hiking. I'm sorry it didn't work out today.

This. I would have been so peeved if I drove 10 hours for nothing. I'm sorry you didn't get to go on your hike. Hopefully you can soon, and we all expect pictures when you do. :smiley:

• MoHousdon
    Options

I had a feeling he was teasing you. I'm glad that was the case. He sounds like a decent (super great) dude. Glad he's yours.

• TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone in my family is right-handed. My left-handed professor in college stated that when he was younger, everyone at his school believed left-handedness meant the devil had a hold on you or something dumb like that. He was forced to have his hand bound and learn to write with his right hand. Now he can do both pretty perfectly, but he writes with his right hand and does pretty much everything else with his left. I can't believe they would force something on a child like that.... hearing about his past made me pretty upset.

I have a strong craving for some vinegary chips. Or banana peppers. Or pickle juice. DILL PICKLE CHIPS <3 When I get vinegar cravings I can really go bonkers.

LOVE salty vinegary things....now I'm craving them too! Ooh! Have you ever had salt and vinegar almonds?? I eat them like every day. So good...