Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Do people at your work bring treats on days like today? My work has never done anything for Halloween, but I guess that's a thing, especially in the US and Canada. I'm having another hungry day, so I am sad and happy that there are no treats for me to stuff my face with eat today.

I plan on making up for it at the Halloween party we're going to tonight. >:)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Do people at your work bring treats on days like today? My work has never done anything for Halloween, but I guess that's a thing, especially in the US and Canada. I'm having another hungry day, so I am sad and happy that there are no treats for me to stuff my face with eat today.

We have a potluck and costume contest, and the social committee does a desk drop of candy too. But my office is definitely big on social stuff like that.

I'm a voluntold member of said committee and am in charge of organizing our holiday season charity stuff (we do a Food Bank volunteer day, a Santas Anonymous gift-wrapping volunteer day, and collect donations for food-and-gift hampers for underprivileged families.) It's all optional but I usually get at least a 1/3 of the office able to volunteer for one or both events and can sponsor 4 families with food and gifts, so it's pretty popular and I like it a lot better than the candy/meal-centered stuff we do.

I also organize a smoothie day in the spring where we get Jugo Juice for everyone but that's just because my boss (the CEO) loves smoothies and if I'm the one to organize it then it happens on a day when she's in the office...

We usually have stuff more or less monthly here - the charity stuff in Nov/Dec, then candy drops on Halloween, Easter, etc., plus some free popcorn days (we have a theatre-style machine), Office Olympics, a couple potlucks, and a BBQ on our roof terrace. Lots of food events, and it's no wonder almost everyone is heavy (~60 people.)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

Usually there are a few people who have candy at their desk... but they tend to be the ones who ALWAYS have candy anyway, regardless of the occasion.

Nobody in costume here today. It's been years since anyone has dressed up at work.
  • peleroja
    Options
    No one in my hallway is dressed up today, but I just walked into our member education department and discovered Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Hahaha.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    We had our work party yesterday (a lot of people travel and aren't in the office on Friday.) We had pot luck with a costume and decorating contest. I won a $15 Walmart gift card for my costume and a $10 Starbucks gift card for decorating my boss's cubicle with the spider web.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    We have a small social committee that brings in some candy/chocolates for the staff & customers. This is the first year that they've really allowed/encouraged people to dress up. I didn't dress up, but quite a few people did, to my surprise.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    No one in my hallway is dressed up today, but I just walked into our member education department and discovered Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Hahaha.

I love this! So funny!

Also, how do I get a job at your company?! I will have to talk to Mr. Mo about relocating to Canada.

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    We had our work party yesterday (a lot of people travel and aren't in the office on Friday.) We had pot luck with a costume and decorating contest. I won a $15 Walmart gift card for my costume and a $10 Starbucks gift card for decorating my boss's cubicle with the spider web.

That is so cool! I loved your costume, and I was going to steal it, but I don't have time to pull it all together. Maybe some other time.
  • peleroja
    Options

I love this! So funny!

Also, how do I get a job at your company?! I will have to talk to Mr. Mo about relocating to Canada.

We get all these weird social things because we're technically a non-profit, so salaries aren't really competitive with private sector stuff and so they have to make the work-life balance stuff really appealing. I get paid less than I would elsewhere but I get lots of free food and office parties (and 35-hr weeks with flex time, generous vacation and overtime and unlimited sick time, and great health & wellness benefits.)

Sometimes it occurs to me that I have given up actual money for free coconut-oil popcorn, but honestly, it's really great to not have my work take over my life (as in I still get to have a life outside the office.)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Our Halloween party was yesterday. There was beer and wine. :)

This place has a lot of events, and a lot of them involve food. Blessing and a curse.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Heyyy, that's pretty cool. You're cake was definitely beautiful.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

That is so cool! I loved your costume, and I was going to steal it, but I don't have time to pull it all together. Maybe some other time.

I printed out the logos on regular paper (at work- shhhhh!) and used a glue stick to attach them to the black t-shirt. I've had the wings since my daughter was in Middle School.
    Heyyy, that's pretty cool. You're cake was definitely beautiful.
    Thanks! We have a best food contest at the Christmas party. I have won the last 3 years with a cake of some sort!

Thanks to all the compliments on my cake and costume! <3
  • arithmachick
    arithmachick Posts: 207 Member
    Options

People at my work randomly bring in food, there is just more of it if there is an actual reason.

Sometimes things are organized, but usually not.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

People at my work randomly bring in food, there is just more of it if there is an actual reason.

Sometimes things are organized, but usually not.

Today was our United Way picnic. BBQ, as usual. And flag football.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Confession: I ate candied pecans and candy corn for lunch yesterday..today is snack day at work. I've stuck to the decently healthy stuff, but I am still eating too much.

Sounds good to me (well accept for the candy corn)

Tonight for dinner I had a Lenny & Larry's Pumpkin Cookie & the rest of my Giant (store brand) Peppermint gelato. I at least drank some unsweetened Cashew milk.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

I love this! So funny!

We get all these weird social things because we're technically a non-profit, so salaries aren't really competitive with private sector stuff and so they have to make the work-life balance stuff really appealing. I get paid less than I would elsewhere but I get lots of free food and office parties (and 35-hr weeks with flex time, generous vacation and overtime and unlimited sick time, and great health & wellness benefits.)

Sometimes it occurs to me that I have given up actual money for free coconut-oil popcorn, but honestly, it's really great to not have my work take over my life (as in I still get to have a life outside the office.)
    Sounds great to me, actually.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

We have snack days for any occasion. It is a morale booster at least.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Usually there are a few people who have candy at their desk... but they tend to be the ones who ALWAYS have candy anyway, regardless of the occasion.

Nobody in costume here today. It's been years since anyone has dressed up at work.

We had several witches and wizards and a team of convicts.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

Our Halloween party was yesterday. There was beer and wine. :)

This place has a lot of events, and a lot of them involve food. Blessing and a curse.

My company does nothing. Ever. They did have a Halloween Jam on Thursdays. They do this every Thursday in the summer where people from work who sing or are in bands can perform. It's a big building so lots of people!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

We have a potluck and costume contest, and the social committee does a desk drop of candy too. But my office is definitely big on social stuff like that.

I'm a voluntold member of said committee and am in charge of organizing our holiday season charity stuff (we do a Food Bank volunteer day, a Santas Anonymous gift-wrapping volunteer day, and collect donations for food-and-gift hampers for underprivileged families.) It's all optional but I usually get at least a 1/3 of the office able to volunteer for one or both events and can sponsor 4 families with food and gifts, so it's pretty popular and I like it a lot better than the candy/meal-centered stuff we do.

I also organize a smoothie day in the spring where we get Jugo Juice for everyone but that's just because my boss (the CEO) loves smoothies and if I'm the one to organize it then it happens on a day when she's in the office...

We usually have stuff more or less monthly here - the charity stuff in Nov/Dec, then candy drops on Halloween, Easter, etc., plus some free popcorn days (we have a theatre-style machine), Office Olympics, a couple potlucks, and a BBQ on our roof terrace. Lots of food events, and it's no wonder almost everyone is heavy (~60 people.)

Wow. That is some party company. We don't even have a social committee at my company. Not that I want one... I am not social but still. ...