Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tanyabecka wrote: »
    I use 8oz of almond milk with my protein shakes every day... If milk is a major source of protein for your diet you've got bigger issues. Also, I'm pretty sure that every that is "fat free" has lots of added chemicals in order for it to be so (or so my 2 nutritionists say). There are good fats and not-so-good fats, just research them.

says the person using protein powder to hit her protein targets.

alrighty then.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use 8oz of almond milk with my protein shakes every day... If milk is a major source of protein for your diet you've got bigger issues. Also, I'm pretty sure that every that is "fat free" has lots of added chemicals in order for it to be so (or so my 2 nutritionists say). There are good fats and not-so-good fats, just research them.

alrighty then.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was confused on that.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

alrighty then.

efg53ro6035r.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Errr....what bigger issues?

Also, I would ask exactly what chemicals are added to make it fat free...of your 2 nutritionists.

What are good fats and not so good fats (other than artificial trans fats)?.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

alrighty then.

I hope its not whey protein....
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For me, Almond milk's taste and texture is not appealing. I use cow's milk - it varies as to whether its skim or 2% or whole, depending on what I am having it with and/or my macros.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Y so many nutritionists?
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of almond milk but I want to try it in my protein shakes for something different other than water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of almond milk but I want to try it in my protein shakes for something different other than water.

mike I'm not a huge fan of almond milk, but it's definitely nicer than water with protein shakes

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Y so many nutritionists?

One for the good fats, and one for the bad.

I often have a couple servings of dairy a day and it sometimes helps me meet my protein goal, so I'm curious what my bigger issues are.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Have you considered coffee? I like a good protein coffee after a morning workout, personally (with about half a cup of moocow milk)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how milk doesn't gross human beings out. The stuff is packed with bacteria, puss, fecal matter, pesticides and IGF-1 which causes cancer. Plus, cow's milk is naturally intended to turn a small calf into a 1,000 lb cow!

I can't even.

Do you eat yogurt?
    Chalk full of bacteria?

Touch railings anywhere out side your home? Chalk full of all sorts of bodily fluids-

You're phone- that you put up close and personal to your face? dirtier than a toilet seat!

Milk is fine- it's almost a complete food coupled with cereal. Delicious.
    I honestly don't understand how milk doesn't gross human beings out. The stuff is packed with bacteria, puss, fecal matter, pesticides and IGF-1 which causes cancer. Plus, cow's milk is naturally intended to turn a small calf into a 1,000 lb cow!

I can't even.

Do you eat yogurt?
    Chalk full of bacteria?

Touch railings anywhere out side your home? Chalk full of all sorts of bodily fluids-

You're phone- that you put up close and personal to your face? dirtier than a toilet seat!

Milk is fine- it's almost a complete food coupled with cereal. Delicious.

Um, no. I don't eat yogurt, or cheese or anything else from milk. Yeah I put my dirty phone on my face, but I don't ingest my phone. I dare you to just lick you phone. You won't do, and neither would I. Milk is not fine.
    Yes- yes I would.
    I lick my phone all the time- mostly because I cook with it near by- and stuff splashes all the time on it-... LICKS.

still not dead- unfortunately I can't take a picture to prove it- because- well it's my phone.

wait- I have a plan- I think. hold on. harder than I thought- but I got it.
    and yes- milk is totally fine.
    20150202_234901_zpsroc3s5vz.jpg
    Would you suck the milk out of a cows "Teat"?
    can and have- and would do so again.
    goat too.

well maybe not like lips on titty- only because I don't like the texture- but I've taking a milk shot straight out of an udder yes. delicious. you are way to uptight.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »

And then once they are done drinking milk, they go strictly vegan/vegetarian to finish out that 1,000 lbs. That's why I avoid vegetarian diets. I would hate to turn into a 1,000 lb heifer.

Quite. That's why I even cook my veg in bacon fat. Straight veggies are for cows.

also- love you so much for this. because me too.

also my popcorn.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    skim milk tastes like barely flavored water.
    If I'm drinking cow milk- I'm drinking 2% or higher.
    -
    Being said- I use/drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk... it has fewer calories and actually tastes like something. Also. Being said- I don't drink it straight- I drink it w/ protein or add it to shakes- or make hot chocolate.

mmmhmmm hot chocolate. That sounds good right now.

^this^ plus I like the kind that has added calcium.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, my boyfriend drinks 2% milk. I drink his sometimes when I run out of mine, but it lacks the body I like. I buy the generic UNSWEETENED plain almond milk usually. Sometimes I "splurge" on the full calorie (60 per serving) Silk brand almond milk. Silk adds gums into theirs, which makes it feel super rich in your mouth. I've read you can make almond milk at home with a good blender, just almonds and filtered water, blend the bejesus out of it. Have not tried it, not really worth the effort/money. Almonds are pricey, almond milk isn't. I *have* tried putting plain water on my cereal, but it has that mineral/metallic taste of water then. The almond milk really works like milk in cereal. I use non-dairy powdered coffee creamer in my coffee. It's not that high in anything harmful.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Almond milk:

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor. VITAMINS & MINERALS: Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You should try just making it yourself, I do all the time, its easy.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »

making almond milk?

it can't be easier than walking into the store and picking it up off the shelf.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

making almond milk?

:laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

making almond milk?

Milking a cow takes less time.