Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    You should try just making it yourself, I do all the time, its easy.

making almond milk?

it can't be easier than walking into the store and picking it up off the shelf.

Milking a cow takes less time.

Because you can suckle right from the teat? I mean, since that's the pretty much the only way to get cow milk as inferred by some people on here.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

making almond milk?

Because you can suckle right from the teat? I mean, since that's the pretty much the only way to get cow milk as inferred by some people on here.

Well, yeah. Almond milk takes overnight, right?
    Milk is just right there.
    Plus, if it gets cold. A cow is your friend!

17uq697v9sle2jpg.jpg

• PikaKnight
    Options

making almond milk?

Well, yeah. Almond milk takes overnight, right?
    Milk is just right there.
    Plus, if it gets cold. A cow is your friend!

17uq697v9sle2jpg.jpg

:laugh:

z205099164.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    almond milk tastes like watered down almonds...oh wait...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tanyabecka wrote: »
    I use 8oz of almond milk with my protein shakes every day... If milk is a major source of protein for your diet you've got bigger issues. Also, I'm pretty sure that every that is "fat free" has lots of added chemicals in order for it to be so (or so my 2 nutritionists say). There are good fats and not-so-good fats, just research them.

Almond milk:

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor. VITAMINS & MINERALS: Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

And most protein powders/shakes are made entirely of virgin's tears, nothing else. Some may also contain rage, but that's naturally fat free.

I really can't understand why some people take umbrage about what a complete stranger halfway around the globe puts in their coffee. If that is their biggest problem in this life, they are blessed and privileged.

I couldn't find a gif of John Cusak trying to tell Jack Black that it's not bullsh*t to state a preference, sadly. You would have thought most adults would have this concept down by now, but the wonderful MFP boards prove several times a day this is not the case.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

making almond milk?

I'd have to go find one- and I'm pretty sure there isn't a cow between me and the deli... which I walk less than 50 feet to get too.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I bought almond milk to use in some recipes that specifically called for it. I can't say I particularly like it. I was putting it in my milk for a little while but stopped because it was giving it a semi funky taste.

My husband thought it was great. Of course he also put a ton of chocolate sauce in it too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

making almond milk?

I'd have to go find one- and I'm pretty sure there isn't a cow between me and the deli... which I walk less than 50 feet to get too.
    PM me your address, I'll pop one in the mail.
  • PikaKnight
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought almond milk to use in some recipes that specifically called for it. I can't say I particularly like it. I was putting it in my milk for a little while but stopped because it was giving it a semi funky taste.

My husband thought it was great. Of course he also put a ton of chocolate sauce in it too.

The key to making things taste good :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Phaewryn wrote: »
    I've read you can make almond milk at home with a good blender, just almonds and filtered water, blend the bejesus out of it. Have not tried it, not really worth the effort/money.

I'm a little bit interested in homemade nut milks, whereas so far I dislike the store-bought kind (I don't drink that much milk, occasionally buy some whole milk, more commonly 2%, I really like milk, but just don't see a reason to drink calories and don't eat much that I would add it to now that I've started adding whey protein to oatmeal). I adore dairy, but mainly in other forms. (And for those who have issues, I am not troubled by it being for baby cows, sorry.) ;-)

The reason I haven't done the homemade almond milk is that almonds are kind of expensive and quite tasty so it seems like a waste of good almonds. I'd rather just eat them.
    I *have* tried putting plain water on my cereal, but it has that mineral/metallic taste of water then. The almond milk really works like milk in cereal. I use non-dairy powdered coffee creamer in my coffee. It's not that high in anything harmful.

Wow, I thought I already disliked cold cereal as much as possible, but imagining it with just water reaches a new level of disgusting.

Sorry, ignore my judgy opinions about completely subjective matters.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I switch between unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk and my new favorite is cashew milk. Skim milk is full of sugar and cows milk is made to fatten up baby cows.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I switch between unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk and my new favorite is cashew milk. Skim milk is full of sugar and cows milk is made to fatten up baby cows.

So? It's calories work the same as any other calorie. And fruit is also full of sugar....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

making almond milk?

Also, according to some people, I should be 1,000lbs. I have a minimum of 4 cups a day, sometimes as much as 10 if maintaining and not cutting (lattes...). And yes, I still get my other nutrients (micro and macro) from other food in case anyone jumps on that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

making almond milk?

PM me your address, I'll pop one in the mail.

As long as you ship as fast as Amazon Prime- I can no longer tolerate that 7-10 buisness days any more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Silk Unsweetened
    NLEAs_272_PAlmd_UnSwtOrig_HG.jpeg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Skim milk is full of sugar

Specifically, lactose, 5 grams per 100 grams of milk. Big whoop. Do you also avoid peaches?
    and cows milk is made to fatten up baby cows.

Do you imagine that the fact that baby cows drink cow milk means that the calories in it are super-calories and have an effect beyond what you might otherwise expect from their contents? How does this work precisely? I'm interested.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Skim Milk
    skim_milk_r.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Whole Milk
    Screen-shot-2010-06-28-at-11.59.02-AM-June-28.png
  • jgnatca
    Options
    A high fat Greek Yogurt
    labelL378421.gif
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The almond milk doesn't have much of anything. Note how fat adds to the calories (not that there's anything wrong with that).

This is how I pick products in the store. I line up the nutrition labels and check the score I am worried about (it might be protein, fat, fiber, or sodium).