Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.

Sloppy accounting works both ways. I see a lot of people talking about rounding up "I put a tablespoon of half and half in my coffee, and I call that 100 calories" "I add 200 calories a day to make up for all the tastes and condiments I eat" "I log everything I put on my plate, even if I don't eat it."

I suspect, as with most cases of privilege - the diet privileged don't ever think about the things that make weight loss work for them. The habits, expectations and advantages are so ingrained in their lives that it doesn't stand out.

For example, I don't exercise. But, I average 9K steps on weekdays. On weekends I might bump that up to 13-20K steps, or I might add in 1-3 hours of bicycling for errands or fun. I take a swim class. I go to physical therapy and spend an hour doing whatever I'm told. It burns calories, but it also fades into the background of my life.

Not really. Everyone here has demonstrated that they clearly understand what is benefiting their weight loss: eating fewer calories than they burn. And they understand what contributes to the burn: their job, their daily lifestyle, their weight and lean body mass, and finally their exercise. If we were not at all aware of this.. we would not be losing weihgt.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm currently eating about 1800 calories, minus 300-400 calories 5 days a week for exercise. My goal is to get to 2400 for maintaining. I'm adding 100 calories a month. I've been working up from 1200 calories. I still have weight to lose but I'm in no rush, I'd like to lose about 1 kilo per month.
  • mikegriffith79
    mikegriffith79 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For my size 6 foot 200 pounds my maintenance calories are 2600 a day. I want to get down to 190 so I'm eating 2100 and I'm lifting, doing spin and doing interval training. I find that if I don't eat my metabolism stalls and I become sluggish and I can't lose weight.

I have a suggestion for some of you that are having trouble getting down or feeling like you're stalling. Eat some carbs in the morning when you wake up to get going. Then limit your carbs until around your workout, eat a little bit of carbs before and then eat carbs after the workout. Then limit your carbs again.

Up your protein to 1gm per lbs of body weight. Set your calories at 11~12 calories per lbs of initial goal wt. This is not I weigh 250 and want to be 200. It is calculated by 5~10 lbs difference in current weight, set cals, set carbs at 100~ 150 gems per day, and the rest is good fat. I hope this helps. If I can do anything for you, please let me know.

We can reach our goals, keep working on it
    Mike
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's been 13 months since I've been on a dedicated plan. Heavy lifting w a trainer 4+ days per week. I've dropped 40 lbs but still feel confused about diet. I've ranged from a strict 1100 to over 2000. Concentrating on fiber and protein. Seems like as long as I lift my body fat goes down but the scale is slow. I've been researching iifym and also Paul nobles videos Eat to Perform. It's scary to increase calories but I'm hopeful that I can. I've been shooting for 1600-1800 for about 6 months with a couple 2000-2200 days. I'm moving up calories slowly and watching to see if my weight stays stable but body fat still drops. It's an experiment I think. I'd love to not track so much and increase my set point. Working on building muscle to support more calories!
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    Options
    I eat between 1400-2500/day, usually falling in the 1700-2200 range most of the time. I'm 5'5" female, trying to get back to 145 lbs. I'm sitting at about 153 right now. Pretty sure my diary is open and I log pretty meticulously...or I try
  • ana3067
    Options
    For my size 6 foot 200 pounds my maintenance calories are 2600 a day. I want to get down to 190 so I'm eating 2100 and I'm lifting, doing spin and doing interval training. I find that if I don't eat my metabolism stalls and I become sluggish and I can't lose weight.

I have a suggestion for some of you that are having trouble getting down or feeling like you're stalling. Eat some carbs in the morning when you wake up to get going. Then limit your carbs until around your workout, eat a little bit of carbs before and then eat carbs after the workout. Then limit your carbs again.

Up your protein to 1gm per lbs of body weight. Set your calories at 11~12 calories per lbs of initial goal wt. This is not I weigh 250 and want to be 200. It is calculated by 5~10 lbs difference in current weight, set cals, set carbs at 100~ 150 gems per day, and the rest is good fat. I hope this helps. If I can do anything for you, please let me know.

Mike

If I eat carbs in this way I am super hungry all day. Carb timing will not affect fat loss. I tend to eat lower carb breakfast and lunch out of preference. I can wind up eating 500-800 calories of carbs in the evening easy. There is no need to set carbs to an arbitrary 100-150g limit. I can eat 250g+ and it doesn't stall fat loss. I'm also only 160lbs.

Eating your bodyweight in protein is also excessive for most, even while lifting. 1g per lb lbm, that's doable and more often recommended on MFP and seems to be rec'd online a whole lot.

I am also not going to eat 12x my goal weight. That's like 1700 calories. I can barely even handle 2000 calories now.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not allowed to "exercise", having just had a kidney taken out about a month ago and won't be allowed to go back to running until next month so my activity level is a little less than usual in that I'm only allowed to walk rather than run, but I'm still covering a fair distance most days with walking. I am aiming for between 12 and 18km a day depending on my route and am eating between 2500 and 3000 most days. When I'm running I generally do a minimum of 15 - 18 on work days and between 24 and 35 depending on routes on my weekends and when I'm doing that I'm looking at between 3300 - 4000. I'm 5'6" and currently 140. I generally sit around 136 ish when I'm running regularly
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.

Perhaps 5-6 days lifting isn't allowing for good enough recovery.
    Meaning your lifting isn't really as strong as it could be.
    Meaning you aren't causing as much damage that needs repair.
    Meaning you aren't raising your metabolism for the 12-36 hrs during that time.

So if 5-6 days a week, hopefully that's a 3x split routine only, unless you are lifting over a couple years and very advanced to allow single muscle focus on only 1x weekly.
    If really a beginner under 1 yr lifting, 3 x full-body would better serve you and likely cause what these ladies are seeing for calorie needs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @bfdeal - When did you start lifting during the weight loss journey, after you had lost how much weight by just diet or more walking or such?

Because you could have effected your daily burn before you started doing the workouts that would have benefited you the most.

Now, you could either compensate for what the body did, by indeed eating lower as some mentioned. But then again, you won't get as good a body transformation from your workouts. Why would the body make improvements that require more energy when it's slowed you down to conserve energy.

Or you could slowly allow body to speed back up, your prior diet break wasn't long enough.

And after body is up to full burning pace, take that reasonable deficit again, and with doing the right resistance training, likely won't have a problem.

Notice in this study it tooks months eating at maintenance to recover for the group that had a big initial deficit for 3 months. The not so extreme group started to recover even while in a deficit, but only 25% from lab measured stats.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    chouflour wrote: »

Sloppy accounting works both ways. I see a lot of people talking about rounding up "I put a tablespoon of half and half in my coffee, and I call that 100 calories" "I add 200 calories a day to make up for all the tastes and condiments I eat" "I log everything I put on my plate, even if I don't eat it."

I suspect, as with most cases of privilege - the diet privileged don't ever think about the things that make weight loss work for them. The habits, expectations and advantages are so ingrained in their lives that it doesn't stand out.

For example, I don't exercise. But, I average 9K steps on weekdays. On weekends I might bump that up to 13-20K steps, or I might add in 1-3 hours of bicycling for errands or fun. I take a swim class. I go to physical therapy and spend an hour doing whatever I'm told. It burns calories, but it also fades into the background of my life.

Not really. Everyone here has demonstrated that they clearly understand what is benefiting their weight loss: eating fewer calories than they burn. And they understand what contributes to the burn: their job, their daily lifestyle, their weight and lean body mass, and finally their exercise. If we were not at all aware of this.. we would not be losing weihgt.

I'm sure that you read and post on the forums often enough to know that not everyone understands what benefits their weight loss. ;)

I lost weight at a pretty respectable clip (average of 5.5lb/month) without any attention to those factors. I did it intentionally, by paying attention only to intake (and that pretty minimally), and later unintentionally - eating anything I wanted, in as much volume as I wanted. In my mind, a good marker of diet privilege is that ongoing weight loss doesn't require ongoing thought or effort.

At some point, the medical advice switched from "enjoy it while you can" to "you can stop now". I came to MFP to switch to maintenance. I paid attention to all the factors that tweak my burn, tried adjusting them and gave up - for me, it's like feeling my breath on my septum. Instead, I just keep increasing how many calories I consume. One day I'll manage to eat enough.

• mikegriffith79
    mikegriffith79 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Mike

If I eat carbs in this way I am super hungry all day. Carb timing will not affect fat loss. I tend to eat lower carb breakfast and lunch out of preference. I can wind up eating 500-800 calories of carbs in the evening easy. There is no need to set carbs to an arbitrary 100-150g limit. I can eat 250g+ and it doesn't stall fat loss. I'm also only 160lbs.

Eating your bodyweight in protein is also excessive for most, even while lifting. 1g per lb lbm, that's doable and more often recommended on MFP and seems to be rec'd online a whole lot.

I am also not going to eat 12x my goal weight. That's like 1700 calories. I can barely even handle 2000 calories now.

This is a proven way to loose fat and keep your muscle. Carb timing in itself doesn't help lose weight but reducing carbs does. Eating increased carbs increases insulin, elevated insulin increases fat storage that's biology. There is proven evidence that 100 to 150 gms of carbs is a good starting point for your eating plan depending on activity level. It keeps you out of ketosis and helps stave off low carb fog.

Eating carbs early helps get you going when your activity level is high, eating large amount of carbs late in the day is unwise for the majority of people. Our activity level is diminished and it goes straight to fat storage. Eating carbs around workouts get metabolized for energy to do workouts and post exercise gets sucked up into muscles to replenish glycogen storage then stored as fat if there is excess.

Eating high protein is a good idea during weight loss. We are exercising more (usually) and the more muscle you can build and hold onto the better. .75 to 1.5 gms of protein per lb of body wt is not excessive for people who are doing cardio and wt training. If you want to use the formula with lbs of lean body wt that's ok, gains will be slower. Increased protein consumption also satiates hunger and you feel fuller longer, holding off cravings. It's funny, usually women and slim endurance athletes balk at higher protein consumption when they could benefit from the increase as much as anybody.

.9 to 15 calories per lb of body weight is a proven starting point for fat loss. We overestimate of caloric needs and our ability to burn calories. If you want to loose fat use this range as a starting point. The lower the better just watch your degree of muscle loss, adjust from there. You not being able to handle 2200 calories at 160lbs is a mental thing not physiology. That's my daily calorie goal on days I don't workout and I'm 40lbs heavier than you are. It's not bad at all, I eat my carbs early, protein throughout the day, more carbs around my workouts and I feel full and content.

There are a lot of ways of getting fit and each of us needs to tweak programs to fit our bodies and lifestyles. What I have outlined is a safe time tested way to drop body fat, build muscle (yes ladies you need to build muscle too, you won't look mannish) and get fit. If anyone wants clinical references please ask I will take the time to post, but to say the general guidelines I outlined above are incorrect is uninformed and pure opinion.

If I can help any of you get fitter, please let me know. I don't get anything out of it other than helping you achieve your goals and make the world a better place by increasing your happiness. Which makes me happy, gotta spread the love.

Always,
    Mike

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eating 2000c right now 170p 200c and 75-50f.... Aiming for 3000 slow and steady
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Mike

This is a proven way to loose fat and keep your muscle. Carb timing in itself doesn't help lose weight but reducing carbs does. Eating increased carbs increases insulin, elevated insulin increases fat storage that's biology. There is proven evidence that 100 to 150 gms of carbs is a good starting point for your eating plan depending on activity level. It keeps you out of ketosis and helps stave off low carb fog.

Eating carbs early helps get you going when your activity level is high, eating large amount of carbs late in the day is unwise for the majority of people. Our activity level is diminished and it goes straight to fat storage. Eating carbs around workouts get metabolized for energy to do workouts and post exercise gets sucked up into muscles to replenish glycogen storage then stored as fat if there is excess.

Eating high protein is a good idea during weight loss. We are exercising more (usually) and the more muscle you can build and hold onto the better. .75 to 1.5 gms of protein per lb of body wt is not excessive for people who are doing cardio and wt training. If you want to use the formula with lbs of lean body wt that's ok, gains will be slower. Increased protein consumption also satiates hunger and you feel fuller longer, holding off cravings. It's funny, usually women and slim endurance athletes balk at higher protein consumption when they could benefit from the increase as much as anybody.

.9 to 15 calories per lb of body weight is a proven starting point for fat loss. We overestimate of caloric needs and our ability to burn calories. If you want to loose fat use this range as a starting point. The lower the better just watch your degree of muscle loss, adjust from there. You not being able to handle 2200 calories at 160lbs is a mental thing not physiology. That's my daily calorie goal on days I don't workout and I'm 40lbs heavier than you are. It's not bad at all, I eat my carbs early, protein throughout the day, more carbs around my workouts and I feel full and content.

There are a lot of ways of getting fit and each of us needs to tweak programs to fit our bodies and lifestyles. What I have outlined is a safe time tested way to drop body fat, build muscle (yes ladies you need to build muscle too, you won't look mannish) and get fit. If anyone wants clinical references please ask I will take the time to post, but to say the general guidelines I outlined above are incorrect is uninformed and pure opinion.

If I can help any of you get fitter, please let me know. I don't get anything out of it other than helping you achieve your goals and make the world a better place by increasing your happiness. Which makes me happy, gotta spread the love.

Always,
    Mike

Well you know, plus you're male, have testosterone, and a ton more lean body mass than ana...

And I think I'll avoid your carb advice too. I get shaky when I eat carbs early in the day, and I find eating my carbs at night is very helpful. It's worked so far for the first 100lbs...
  • ana3067
    Options

Always,
    Mike

1) No, lowering carbs isn't a proven way to lose weight. Lowering carbs to reduce overall caloric intake, yes, that results in more fat loss. You can eat 20g of carbs or 300g of carbs while maintaining your protein macro at a consistent intake level and eating the same calories and you will lose fat at the same rate.

2) I do not perform well at the gym if I a) undereat (for me that means grossing fewer than 2000 calories) and b) do not eat enough carbs. 150g of carbs is not enough for me.

3) A few weeks ago I ate a very high carb meal before my work out. I also ate 2500 cals that day. My workout was shite. I was hungry throughout the entire workout despite having eaten more calories than I normally do for my pre-workout meal. Macro settings and when you eat your macros is dependent on the person. So for me, eating low-moderate carbs during the day works best for me; if I eat too many carbs I tend to be cranky and more hungry. I ate slightly too high carb this morning and I'm cranky despite eating the same amount of cals and sleeping the same amount of hours. I have not failed to lose 27lbs due to eating carbs in the evening.

4) For you to say that "GAINS will be slower" in reference to protien intake while losing weight demonstrates to me that you really do not have any idea what you are talking about. Outside of newbie gains, there area no gains during weight loss. Eating one's lean body mass is more than enough for anyone unless they personally find that they need more to benefit dietary adherence and satiety. I used to eat more protein than I needed to. I've since decreased it and increased my carbs, evebn before increasing my total cals, and this has benefited me more in the gym.

5) You know what's a better proven starting point for weight loss? Using actual formulas to estimate your maintenance needs and then subtract 10-20% depending on how much weight you have to lose. The lower the better? Maybe for straight scale loss. For performance at the gym? Satiety? Adherence to one's diet? No. The lower the worse. The person who gets to eat the most while losing weight wins. My inability to eat below 2000, not 2200, is not psychological. It is entirely physiological. If I eat below 2000 I perform poorly at the gym. I get hungrier. I get crankier. My intensity lowers. Eating 2200 so far has been far more beneficial for all of my goals, and I will likely only lower it down to 2100 in the next few months if I decide to speed up my weight loss. Which I have no idea if I will because NSV < scale weight. There are a looot of women eating more food than you are. And with only 11lbs to go, if your maintenance is truly only 2600 calories, then you should probably be eating closer to 2350 calories per day gross.

6) Again, no. Build muscle while in a calorie deficit....
    NMTB-DavidTennant-Laughing.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Mike

Always,
    Mike

Well you know, plus you're male, have testosterone, and a ton more lean body mass than ana...

And I think I'll avoid your carb advice too. I get shaky when I eat carbs early in the day, and I find eating my carbs at night is very helpful. It's worked so far for the first 100lbs...

All I know is that if I eat a high carb breakfast and eat lots of carbs before a workout, I get suuuuper hungry. I actually do well even just having protein powder before or during a workout. That's like 3g of carbs vs 20+g of protein.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Mike

Always,
    Mike

All I know is that if I eat a high carb breakfast and eat lots of carbs before a workout, I get suuuuper hungry. I actually do well even just having protein powder before or during a workout. That's like 3g of carbs vs 20+g of protein.

Yeah I'm the same way. I actually lift "fasted" (I wake up and go to the gym without eating anything but no real timing for whatever real fasting levels are), and I cardio in the afternoon. My pre-cardio snack is always either greek yogurt or a protein bar. Both have some carbs, but if I do a carb specific snack I want to die about half way in.

Macro timing is mostly just going to be personal preference and how it helps your own performance. Not a specific equation spouted by someone as a cureall for everyone.
  • dlajambe
    dlajambe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned individual metabolism. Someone may be able to still lose weight at 2000+ cals a day if they have a higher metabolism. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm eating around 2077 to lose a few more pounds, but was maintaining eating around 2,100-2,400 depending on the day.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im currently losing weight and consuming between 2000 and 2600 calories a day (depending on my carb cycle).

I'll be happy to answer any questions people have regarding my personal macro levels, overall fitness routine, challenges with my diet, etc.

With regards to protein intake I believe that most recent studies have shown protein benefits cap out at around ~.8 g/lb. That's not to say you can't have more but you will be sufficiently covered if you consume atleast that.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    No idea where this topic went but I'm guessing off topic...so OP's original question:

I'm 5'8 around 188. My 1lb loss per week has a deficit at 1590. However I do endurance training and burn between 600 and 1800 calories during exercise 5 days a week.

I was eating back 50% of those, so 2k+ most days. However I am finding that hard to maintain and end up binging and not losing. So I am going to start consuming 75% of the burn (I use a HRM) and see if that helps balance things out and keeps my weight loss going down (I have been bouncing 187-189 for a month or so).

Feel free to add me to check out my diary and such!