Don't read this if brutal honesty (or profanity) offends you..

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I think this should be a "sticky" for newbies. It's all very true. I think getting past the "excuses" is the biggest thing most of us face. And seriously, when you have no excuses it really becomes pretty easy.

Except for the part where he says that people who don't want to be locked into gym contracts are looking for excuses. I'm on month to month and will be 4 life because a) who knows what'll happen and b) every time I pay, I am making a conscious commitment to work out. It's not an invisible cost that I just forget to cancel.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I think this should be a "sticky" for newbies. It's all very true. I think getting past the "excuses" is the biggest thing most of us face. And seriously, when you have no excuses it really becomes pretty easy.

Except for the part where he says that people who don't want to be locked into gym contracts are looking for excuses. I'm on month to month and will be 4 life because a) who knows what'll happen and b) every time I pay, I am making a conscious commitment to work out. It's not an invisible cost that I just forget to cancel.

I would never sign a contract because I did once and the gym closed, yet continued to take money.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Yeah, that part jumped out at me too. It's not like the fitness industry doesn't have a well deserved reputation for screwing people at the end of contacts.

Hell, I used to represent a few gyms suing people for their dues. Those contacts are brutal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Got to totally disagree with #3. Sorry dude.

Pass on the chocolate.

But I agree with the rest.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I’m not big on expletives. I use them occasionally, but not often. My circle of friends / family includes those that could fill-in for this blogger and those that would want to “save” him. LOL

I have expressed many of these thoughts to people without swearing and my wife sometimes tells me I am still too blunt. LOL. It seems the older I get, the less time I waste on BS. I was Orca the whale for years. I tried numerous diets and have multiple health issues blah blah blah…not worth getting into. The fact is I NEVER blamed anyone but me. There were many times people tried to make excuses for me....”you’re big boned”, “you take a lot of medications”, “you’re tall” you…whatever. I would reply that I was NOT big boned or that medications may play a part BUT they are not “the” reason I am fat….they would then tell me I was being too hard on myself. I think not…I am just honest.

The 2-minute rule is right on. Once the “excuse machine / cry-me-a-river” starts…I know that person is not going to do anything. There is a reason the gyms are flooded with new members from Jan-Mar and then thin out – they gave up.

You Can’t Make a Sacrifice – most can’t. They want all the weight gone. But “have” to have dessert every night or alcohol every night/weekend. Getting up 1 hour early…just “can’t” be done etc.

Treats – It never ceases to amaze me how people justify bad decisions so they get what they want. They “have” to pig out on the holidays – why – it’s the holidays! They deserve it. The “have” to have several mixed drinks so the other person doesn’t feel uncomfortable. They “have” to eat the cake – it was made for them. The list is endless. They are never “in charge” – it is the fault of others.

Planning for an end date – before starting. – Right on the money! Most the people that ask me for pointers in my social circle – always start with wanting to lose X by such and such a date….and it is never a date far into the future…it’s always 30 days away.

Results & laziness – It’s Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory all over again ala Veruca Salt whining “Hey, Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa!...I want an Oompa Loompa now!”

Attitude – It is everything.

A true story – An outdoor party was ruined because of rain. I was in the car with someone on an errand to get supplies. They were crying over the rain. I headed onto the highway…the person I was with asked “where are you going? We passed the store.” I said, “I thought we might stop up to the Burn Unit at the hospital and see some people with real problems.” My companion burst into laughter and thanked me.

To be honest, I now tend to weed out people that say they want encouragement, ideas, feedback, general help etc. but don’t really want anything to change in their life. I’m not mean, I just don’t try to “sell them” on something they haven’t really “sold themselves on.” There seems to be a lot of people that like to wallow in drama...no matter what the issue may be. I no longer go along for the ride.

I will be at my final goal sometime in the next 30-60 days. It is a target that was constantly revised. I have already set targets / goals in my head for the next 1-2 years toward maintenance / strength exercises etc.

Some people say “It must be nice to be almost finished” and I say, it is certainly nice to reach my target/goal weight after more than a year, but I am only half-way to a lifetime of change.

(Ps - I had a gym membership years ago and lost money when it suddenly closed its doors without warning. I will pay for a year membership. I just won't get involved with multi-year contracts) The place I belong to now is great!

73641431.png
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments below the article about it's not CICO and you don't need carbs look so familiar.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    @laurend224

Every fitness group I belong to has that detox/cleanse/sugar is evil nonsense and I should post this link to all of them.

And then the anti-GMO folks are in every political group I'm in :neutral_face:

Your anti-sugar people will like it too, though. Because it's sensible, and it is what everyone on a sane program, no matter which nutritional approach they identify with, is doing. I think it's pretty funny that everyone in the thread so far likes this article. Goes to show that all this IIFYM/clean eating conflict on MFP is only superficial. All these cross-talkers are really doing the same thing.

This has been pointed out before that the diets are pretty close, probably 80% to 90% similar depending on who defines what as clean. Most people would tend to define clean as whole foods with little processing but others are more extreme so they would be much different.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Some of the comments below the article about it's not CICO and you don't need carbs look so familiar.

OMG I just went back to the article and am reading the comments. So many special snowflakes! They're everywhere!
    I also just noticed the OP has a flag...someone got butthurt!

Well, in a certain light, it is kind of victim-blamey imo. It's not like everyone just decided completely independently of each other that they were going to have Chinese food and cake all the time, the causes are more sociological and biological. But the solution (for now) is individual, people have to eat less.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    @laurend224

Every fitness group I belong to has that detox/cleanse/sugar is evil nonsense and I should post this link to all of them.

And then the anti-GMO folks are in every political group I'm in :neutral_face:

Your anti-sugar people will like it too, though. Because it's sensible, and it is what everyone on a sane program, no matter which nutritional approach they identify with, is doing. I think it's pretty funny that everyone in the thread so far likes this article. Goes to show that all this IIFYM/clean eating conflict on MFP is only superficial. All these cross-talkers are really doing the same thing.

This has been pointed out before that the diets are pretty close, probably 80% to 90% similar depending on who defines what as clean. Most people would tend to define clean as whole foods with little processing but others are more extreme so they would be much different.

True, there are people with unique diets at the extremes.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    facebook_like_button_big1.jpg

Yes!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

OMG I just went back to the article and am reading the comments. So many special snowflakes! They're everywhere!
    I also just noticed the OP has a flag...someone got butthurt!

Ridiculous isn't it!! Some people take their weight loss or lack thereof incredibly personally :s
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Kind of a useless article. The only people who will get anything out of it are those who've already figured it out.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    BS!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    'You have to make sacrifice to stay healthy. Deal with it. You will have to turn down the donuts. Pass over the ice cream. Skip the odd party.
    Forever? No. You can add these into a healthy life for sure. Not daily. Maybe not even weekly. 95% of your diet has to be perfectly healthy. That is the reality.'

This is the only part I kinda disagree with. You can fit a couple scoops of icecream into your calorie allowance per day pretty easily. As for donuts, not daily, probably, but certainly weekly if you're careful. I certainly don't think I could ever hit 95% 'healthy' food but my weight loss has been going pretty dang well.

I agree. I think the rest of it is good, but the idea that you have to skip parties to avoid eating unhealthy food is nonsense. You could (a) not eat at the party, or (b) figure out how to make it fit. And that's assuming everything there is unhealthy...
    Yeah, this is the only part that annoyed me. So I'm not going to be successful at weight loss because I eat desserts twice a day. Life ain't worth living if I can't have dessert.
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My main issue with this article:

In point #2 he complains that people can't stick to a 8 week program. In point #4 he complains that people do x# week programs in the first place. Erm, if these programs are bad, then why do you facilitate them?

Also if you're skipping a party because of your diet, you are letting food control your life. Not healthy.

And it's hella ironic that in the last point, he's bitching about negativity, because this is one of the most negative articles I've ever read. But then I guess one person's raging a hole is another person's tough love. Me personally, I prefer to get inspiration from more positive sources.
  • The article was really good. Loved the message and so right on target.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    BS!

Why?