Don't read this if brutal honesty (or profanity) offends you..

Options

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Well I agree on the guy's take on what a treat is and that it's not to be consumed often. I wish more people on here did actually understand that rather than advocating regular consumption of junk and fast food "because you can fit it in your calories" (which many of us can NOT, if we plan to eat more than once a day.... not that I want to in the first place. I cook better than the McD's.)

I completely agree with you. I tried to fit it in. Doesn't work for me. Back to a "zero tolerance" attitude.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Well I agree on the guy's take on what a treat is and that it's not to be consumed often. I wish more people on here did actually understand that rather than advocating regular consumption of junk and fast food "because you can fit it in your calories" (which many of us can NOT, if we plan to eat more than once a day.... not that I want to in the first place. I cook better than the McD's.)

I completely agree with you. I tried to fit it in. Doesn't work for me. Back to a "zero tolerance" attitude.

So because it doesn't work for YOU, nobody should do it?

I'm sorry but I fail to see how a 50 calorie piece of chocolate is a big deal in a 1200 calorie diet (or heck 200 calories of ice cream if someone has a 2000 calories diet). That guy is an idiot. Some people ONLY succeed BECAUSE of those treats. I wouldn't have lasted longer than his 8 weeks otherwise.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No dude the point is that we do not like to be pressured and talked down to if we choose NOT to indulge. The point is not being bashed for individual health choices that can be necessary for those who have very little slack, if any, in their calorie allotment.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No dude the point is that we do not like to be pressured and talked down to if we choose NOT to indulge. The point is not being bashed for individual health choices that can be necessary for those who have very little slack, if any, in their calorie allotment.

This is going against what you just said above:
    rather than advocating regular consumption of junk and fast food "because you can fit it in your calories" (which many of us can NOT, if we plan to eat more than once a day.... not that I want to in the first place. I cook better than the McD's.)
    Since this quote above has nothing to do with being presssured to do something, nor does it even indicate a desire to NOT eat those things - it instead is indicating that the person CANNOT. Which IMO is bs, but whatever floats your boat.

a) saying "hey, if you want to eat a treat every day or regularly, you can. It's just about fitting food you desire into your calorie allotment, not about eating x type of food, to meet your weight loss goals!" is not pressure. It's a factual statement given to people who complain about binging or being unable to maintain strict/restrictive diets and who clearly WANT to eat "junk" food.

b) If your goal is set so low that you are eating way less than any human should, then you simply need to tailor your treats to fit within your goals. My treats range from 70 to 300 calories, my daily goal (for slow weight loss) is 2200 calories gross. I would never eat suhc a low goal because I value my sanity and my lifting progress, but if I had to eat 1200 for some inane reason and I craved chocolate, then uh.. I would eat a 70 calorie piece of chocolate. See how that leaves over 1100 calories left for the rest of the day? And see how that didn't take up most of my calories? If you want a treat and refuse to set your target to a more reasonable calorie amount, then simply choose more calorie-friendly treats. Eat half of something instead of the whole thing. I bought jumbo reeses PB cups, which I bought at the start of January. I've only eaten one cup over the course of two days so that it would fit with my calories while letting me eat other food I wanted to eat.

Just because you don't think it works, doesn't mean it doesn't. If you don't want to eat "junk" food, then don't. I eat junk food almost daily and I've lost 27lbs, only ~15lbs left to go.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

And why didn't it fit? Were you eating 500 calorie treats? Is your daily goal unnecessarily low?

A treat doesn't mean half of your calories. I can eat a Lindt ball and that will be my treat for the day at ~70 calories only. IF I were eating only 1200 calories, that's still fairly reasonable.

I wish you luck on your zero tolerance attitude for the rest of your life.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

As we wish you luck on your zero tolerance attitude towards gluten for the rest of your life.

Cheers!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's. At the checkout lane. Nice little round tins of chocolate. 40 calories a piece. I have a ridiculously low calorie allotment because I'm old and short, and can fit those in my day if I wish.
  • palwithme
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

So because it doesn't work for YOU, nobody should do it?

I'm sorry but I fail to see how a 50 calorie piece of chocolate is a big deal in a 1200 calorie diet (or heck 200 calories of ice cream if someone has a 2000 calories diet). That guy is an idiot. Some people ONLY succeed BECAUSE of those treats. I wouldn't have lasted longer than his 8 weeks otherwise.

It doesn't work for me, personally. If it works for someone else I think that is great. My problem is I just can't have one....
  • palwithme
    Options

And why didn't it fit? Were you eating 500 calorie treats? Is your daily goal unnecessarily low?

A treat doesn't mean half of your calories. I can eat a Lindt ball and that will be my treat for the day at ~70 calories only. IF I were eating only 1200 calories, that's still fairly reasonable.

I am taking a zero tolerance during the weight loss phase. Once I hit my goal, I will see how it goes. A lot of people have to take a "zero tolerance" attitude towards things - alcohol, cigarettes, and some people certain foods. Some people can have just one drink, some people can't stop once they start. Same with food.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've read it before and it's not something that would have helped me at all. Like many people, I was eating good, healthy home-cooked food. All through the article he keeps mentioning foods that he assumes fat people are overeating on - pizza, icecream, donuts, chocolate, wine, nachos, wings, milkshakes, etc. If this isn't the way you eat, then it's not going to strike a chord with you. What I needed was for somebody to explain that because I was shorter and older than the average woman I needed less food than the average woman (yes, I know it's obvious, and I should have picked up on it myself ages ago). Once I realised what was wrong, I could fix it. But that article would just have made me think "I don't eat like that, so it can't be about me".
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    "I am sure it’s your co-workers fault for bringing in that cake."

All I could think of was redemption for the anonymous chocolate dougnut guy in the Confessions thread!

English person here and got it (!!) and kind of enjoyed the read. I hate whiners and whingers and excuse makers full stop. I used to be a PT and had to try and motivate clients - it was truly exhausting and at times I wanted to yell some of the stuff he mentions but they wouldn't come back. Sometimes I'd come down hard and sometimes I'd cajole...not easy striking the right balance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I am taking a zero tolerance during the weight loss phase. Once I hit my goal, I will see how it goes. A lot of people have to take a "zero tolerance" attitude towards things - alcohol, cigarettes, and some people certain foods. Some people can have just one drink, some people can't stop once they start. Same with food.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, I just disliked the way the guy is basically saying that we're doing it wrong even if we can make it work...

For what it's worth though... things don't magically change once you hit your goal. Unless you have an unreasonable deficit, you will *maybe* be able to eat 100-200 more calories once you are at your goal weight. Yes, it's enough for a treat (or an extra treat), but it's not going to make moderation suddenly easier.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    What hit home with me was the treating yourself everyday. I need to get back to moderation & not eating a ton of sweets just because it's there,
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    That was a great read.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    y'know, Ana, I am not an English tutor to have to parse every word for you, nor do I answer to you for my diet. Done. With. You.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    This guy isn't being brutally honest. He's just blaming other people for his failure as a successful motivator.

Pretty much.

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    #3 is meh for me. If I have any leftover calories/macros at the end of the day, you better believe I'm finding the best-tasting, junkiest thing that will fit into my calories. I'll do this everyday-- given that I feel energetic and full with the rest of what I'm eating.
  • lkilton
    lkilton Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A great kick in the *kitten*!!