I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I will say congrats to you for doing something about your situation and making a commitment to losing weight, and keeping it off. I will just say that be wary of people that give you rules about when to eat or what kind of foods to eat. Weight loss comes down to a simple formula or consume less then you are burning (calories in vs calories out) and you will lose. It does not have to be complex.

Perhaps, in HER conversation with her nutritionist, they discussed issues in addition to a number on a scale? Perhaps that's why the nutritionist made nutrition suggestions, perhaps that's why they suggested not eating after 8 or whatever it was.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    OP - I will say congrats to you for doing something about your situation and making a commitment to losing weight, and keeping it off. I will just say that be wary of people that give you rules about when to eat or what kind of foods to eat. Weight loss comes down to a simple formula or consume less then you are burning (calories in vs calories out) and you will lose. It does not have to be complex.

Perhaps, in HER conversation with her nutritionist, they discussed issues in addition to a number on a scale? Perhaps that's why the nutritionist made nutrition suggestions, perhaps that's why they suggested not eating after 8 or whatever it was.

^^ Yes.

I don't understand why people should have to take notes and relay whatever conversation s/he had with their doctor/dietician/nutritionist.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any advice, from anyone, no matter how professional, is meaningless without the proper context. Not at all surprised at the debate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

sure, anything is possible.

I am just telling OP to be wary of too many "rules"....when you boil it down weight loss is really simple and should not involve a bunch of complex algorithms to get one to where one wants to be...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I am just telling OP to be wary of too many "rules"....when you boil it down weight loss is really simple and should not involve a bunch of complex algorithms to get one to where one wants to be...
    Sure. And again, not knowing how the conversation went, nor what their agreed upon goals for her are...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    And it's not just on this forum where there's at least one response telling the OP to sack of whatever advice they have been given (whether it be from a palm reader on the pier to 3 separate consultant grade doctors) as a load of eld bollocks. Happens on other forums and even in real life.

But on a forum where people get into heated debates over whether the mere existence of almond milk is acceptable to their sensibilities, it's only to be expected.

LOL. Agreed. And OHMYGOD I love your avatar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Sure. And again, not knowing how the conversation went, nor what their agreed upon goals for her are...

again, I already agreed with that..

I just told OP to be wary of anyone pushing complex rules for weight loss...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Some people need rules and do well with them, some don't. You can't really say that the rules given to the OP were all that complex though.

I'm sure there was context behind the guidelines given to the OP. If you want a cookie cutter weight loss plan you can get that online. The OP's gone and sought out personalised advice based on here circumstances and everyone's so quick to jump all over it. In the opposite situation, there'd be 100 people ridiculing her for asking for advice online and telling her to see a professional. Can't win really.

Also I'm sure the nutritionaist wasn't saying that you can never lose weight if you eat after 8pm, but maybe in YOUR circumstances it's a good weight loss strategy if you don't for whatever reason.

• JustInTime13
    Options
    Not eating at night is helping. I do cardio and the treadmill 2 days and aerobics I day.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Not eating at night is helping. I do cardio and the treadmill 2 days and aerobics I day.

OP, as long as you are progressing then I think the advise was worthy! I too try not to eat after 9pm. Most of my binging happened from 7pm - 11pm. Now I try not to eat anything form 9pm to 9am and get some IMF on top of that. Which has been helping me lose some weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    One person's "complex rule" is to others a simple tip.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

And you don't know if they're simply "pushing complex rules for weight loss". As someone else pointed out some people need rules to help them stay on track/stop bad habits.

Also it appears that these "complex rules" are working out for the OP so far.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

OP, as long as you are progressing then I think the advise was worthy! I too try not to eat after 9pm. Most of my binging happened from 7pm - 11pm. Now I try not to eat anything form 9pm to 9am and get some IMF on top of that. Which has been helping me lose some weight.

Reading this hit hard as rock right now. I had completely forgotten where way back in, I think, 2011 I had followed this lifestyle/pattern where I won't eat after 7 pm because that's when I wind up for the day until 9:00 pm and BOY!!! .....

7:00 pm to 9:00 pm is the most testing time for me.

I'm so glad I'm following this post. This new bookmark feature of MFP truly ROCKS!!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

^^ Yes.

I don't understand why people should have to take notes and relay whatever conversation s/he had with their doctor/dietician/nutritionist.

They don't have to. I would even go so far as agreeing with you...except......The OP didn't come to the forums and ask a question, she came to the forums and made a declaration, "here is what I did". I think it is fair to assume when someone posts on an internet message board with a declarative statement, they are inviting commentary on said declaration. I think it is fair game to ask questions of the OP about the visit and the advice given. To believe otherwise is to believe that a declarative post should only be followed by "hooray for you".