If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    I'm a 52 yr old female 5' 1", 114 lbs. If I go over 1200 calories I gain weight.

How sad! :(

I'm 42, female 5'2, 129 pounds. If I go over 2400 I gain weight

Wow, rude post

^ how is this rude? some people are active and their TDEE's reflect that, I also am 5ft 2, 45 yrs old, 134lbs and I gain if I go over 2300. Everyone is different. If your sedentary your TDEE is low, if your active its not,..so not a rude reply at all, just a different opinion.

It's MFP, the land of playing the victim...
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Also, haven't seen this mentioned, but there's evidence that what your grandparents and other ancestors went through helps predetermine how your body uses calories. Me? My ancestors survived genocide, pograms, famine and Indian removals, and if I go just one generation back, they were all rooting around for about 10 years in the Dust Bowl doing things like eating pencil erasers so the hunger wasn't so bad. So, this research suggests that I'm sort of pre-set for not using very many calories. (There was even a Nova special on this a few years ago - really fascinating stuff!)

Long term survival of the species, this is a very good thing. . .on a personal basis for me, it's not so hot! So I have friends who are my height, my weight, similar frames, who don't exercise and can eat far more than I can and not gain weight the way I do. It is what it is, and there's no point in dwelling on it, except that, heck yeah, my ancestors were the survivors that nobody could kill! :D
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm a 52 yr old female 5' 1", 114 lbs. If I go over 1200 calories I gain weight.

Wow, rude post

^ how is this rude? some people are active and their TDEE's reflect that, I also am 5ft 2, 45 yrs old, 134lbs and I gain if I go over 2300. Everyone is different. If your sedentary your TDEE is low, if your active its not,..so not a rude reply at all, just a different opinion.

Well said!

For instance today was my heavy weights training day. It was my cardio rest day but that didn't mean I wasn't active. I parked at the train station walked to work which took 30 mins. At lunch time I went for another walk, then when I left work to go home it was another 30 min walk back to my car. On top of that 90 mins of walking I did my weights.

When I resume my usual job getting the front counter and emptying suitcases full of heavy mail and boxes I will be expending even more calories so I will be easily able to maintain on around 2700.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Aviva, sorry I didn't answer sooner, I didn't see your comment. The way they test your metabolism is you go to the nutritionist's office before eating anything or doing any exercise, first thing in the AM, and they have you breathe into a tube for several minutes while sitting still. It collects things from your exhalations that allow it to compute your metabolism. Then it prints up a readout. So this will be your BMR. Then the nutritionist takes that and adds up your lifestyle factors to get your maintenance calories. In this method, exercise that is purposefully done isn't counted in; you add it in yourself separately and you can either eat more on the days you work out, or you can do a calculation to even it out to the same calories each day (provided you stick to your program and don't throw the numbers off.)
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans

I must ask are you a troll or do you believe this?

Could you please quote correctly. Now it seems like you posted the nonsense.

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*

Just love it how people get all in a bunch that the answer really is more fruits/veggies and plant proteins. Every. Time.

Plants. Rule.

:-D
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Because Gaussian Distribution, that's why.

Are there really adults out there who do not know what "average" means?

normal.jpg

Dead lololol

I think people just want to be able to eat 2000 calories without putting on weight. Myself included.

When I discovered I could not have those 2000 cals at 5'7 and 141 lbs and 20% body fat some where abouts, I about died. I wanna freaking be avereage!!!! I want those calories! I too questioned it...then thought well its an avereage and I obviously fall below :(
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

what's wrong with bacon and eggs? i eat an egg fried in bacon grease with bacon almost every day on the weekends or days off from work and i'm thin.

I have lost 20lbs already and I eat 2 eggs fried in the grease of 2-3 slices of bacon almost everyday for breakfast (averages 400-500cals, it's usually also my biggest meal of the day). Fat is great, I don't understand why people demonize it. It's all about CICO!

Also, to get back to the subject of the thread... You have to keep in mind that after all that time maintaining a calorie deficit to lose the weight, your metabolism has probably dropped from what it could have been (let's say you were never overweight). So, somebody that is in a healthy weight, but has lost a bunch of weight will have a slower metabolism in comparison to someone who has never dieted. This is why it's harder to stay lean for someone that lost weight in comparison to someone who was lean their whole life. And there's a bunch more reasons too, but we'll keep it simple!

The best tips to help you: build muscles, and maintain as much muscle as you can that you already have by eating enough protein.

Hope this help! Good luck :)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Also, haven't seen this mentioned, but there's evidence that what your grandparents and other ancestors went through helps predetermine how your body uses calories. Me? My ancestors survived genocide, pograms, famine and Indian removals, and if I go just one generation back, they were all rooting around for about 10 years in the Dust Bowl doing things like eating pencil erasers so the hunger wasn't so bad. So, this research suggests that I'm sort of pre-set for not using very many calories. (There was even a Nova special on this a few years ago - really fascinating stuff!)

Long term survival of the species, this is a very good thing. . .on a personal basis for me, it's not so hot! So I have friends who are my height, my weight, similar frames, who don't exercise and can eat far more than I can and not gain weight the way I do. It is what it is, and there's no point in dwelling on it, except that, heck yeah, my ancestors were the survivors that nobody could kill! :D
    Hmm, I don't think I've heard that before, but it is interesting.
    xmarye wrote:
    Also, to get back to the subject of the thread... You have to keep in mind that after all that time maintaining a calorie deficit to lose the weight, your metabolism has probably dropped from what it could have been (let's say you were never overweight). So, somebody that is in a healthy weight, but has lost a bunch of weight will have a slower metabolism in comparison to someone who has never dieted. This is why it's harder to stay lean for someone that lost weight in comparison to someone who was lean their whole life. And there's a bunch more reasons too, but we'll keep it simple!
    That's a great point.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP, sounds like you really are doing a similar maintenance thing (staying active, gross intake close to 2,000). And as far as the "average" person's needs--meh, I don't wanna be average, nor compare myself and neither should you :D .

Well said ;)
  • snarlingcoyote
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Aviva, sorry I didn't answer sooner, I didn't see your comment. The way they test your metabolism is you go to the nutritionist's office before eating anything or doing any exercise, first thing in the AM, and they have you breathe into a tube for several minutes while sitting still. It collects things from your exhalations that allow it to compute your metabolism. Then it prints up a readout. So this will be your BMR. Then the nutritionist takes that and adds up your lifestyle factors to get your maintenance calories. In this method, exercise that is purposefully done isn't counted in; you add it in yourself separately and you can either eat more on the days you work out, or you can do a calculation to even it out to the same calories each day (provided you stick to your program and don't throw the numbers off.)

Our local Women's hospital does this. It's always sounded fascinating to me, but I've never been willing to pony up the $$ for it. Ours includes getting a DEXA done as well, did yours include that? Did it really help you?
  • snarlingcoyote
    edited February 2015
    Options
    whoops

• farmergirl1974
    Options
    I too am at 1650 to maintain. So far, I've found this to be pretty accurate as my weight only fluctuates a pound or two and I don't religiously log my intake like I did when I was losing.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Wow, rude post

Saying those two statements together was braggy and seemingly rubbing it in her face imo.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wow, rude post

Saying those two statements together was braggy and seemingly rubbing it in her face imo.

My maintenance calories are ~3400.

Or said another way, if I go over 3400, I gain weight.

(You're welcome, RunRutheeRun...because your post now seems comparatively less rude. :flowerforyou:)
  • Aviva92
    Options

Wow, rude post

Also, I'm losing on 2100 Gross average weekly calories.

What are you losing on? What do you gain on? Everyone is different. It all depends on activity levels and the amount of muscle mass you have. There was nothing rude in what I said.

:smile:

Maybe I misinterpreted it then. I'm in maintenance mostly. When I was losing I did 1200 net. I am not sure now and am trying to figure it out for maintenance. Mfp gives me 1440 net, but its going to be more because I walk a lot during the week and run on weekends. Been on maintenance for close to two years now mostly not tracking, but I'm curious to track and see what my actual number is now. My weight is low at 105ish though, so it isn't going to be that high, but I could probably stand to gain a few pounds.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Interesting. I'm going to a health spa next month. I wonder if I can get that done there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    sinistras wrote: »
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans

Just love it how people get all in a bunch that the answer really is more fruits/veggies and plant proteins. Every. Time.

Plants. Rule.

The answer to what?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Plants. Rule.

The answer to what?

Life, the universe, and everything?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Plants. Rule.

The answer to what?

Life, the universe, and everything?

I thought that was 42.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Wow, rude post

My maintenance calories are ~3400.

Or said another way, if I go over 3400, I gain weight.

(You're welcome, RunRutheeRun...because your post now seems comparatively less rude. :flowerforyou:)

I didn't read ahead when I said that and afterwards took back my opinion