If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!

In short, yes, the "average person" in question does exercise.

If it makes you feel any better, MFP suggests something like 1650 for me to maintain also. Turns out MFP is wrong. I've made a lot of adjustments and found that I maintain on around 1800 calories. Add a little exercise and I'm at 2000+.

Everyone is different. There are too many factors to get bent out of shape over.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    sinistras wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans

I must ask are you a troll or do you believe this?

Could you please quote correctly. Now it seems like you posted the nonsense.

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*

Just love it how people get all in a bunch that the answer really is more fruits/veggies and plant proteins. Every. Time.

Plants. Rule.

:-D

The answer to what?

Life, the universe, and everything?

I thought that was 42.

My mistake

giphy.gif

• jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Average people leave their homes to work, walk across parking lots, move about through the halls of schools, offices, etc.

I work from home - my commute is less than 50 steps. Even walking around the halls of my house and going up and down the stairs to my basement doesn't get me the same amount of activity as my husband who leaves the house and goes to an office.

I was gaining weight at 1620 calories per day.

So I tuned into my fitness tracker a little better. Took one day off from exercise and discovered that my average day with no exercise is really around 1400 calories. That discovery empowered me to get maintenance under control.

I set my calorie limit to that manually in MFP and now I know just how much I can have, how much exercise really does for me on those days and I've been having great success maintaining within 1 pound of my goal on a consistent basis.

Everyone's average is different - understand yours and the rest is easy!

Oh and I eat anything I want - IN MODERATION including bacon, fast food, wine, ice cream - it can be done if you put your mind over the matter.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    I'm a 52 yr old female 5' 1", 114 lbs. If I go over 1200 calories I gain weight.

How sad! :(

I'm 42, female 5'2, 129 pounds. If I go over 2400 I gain weight

Wow, rude post

^ how is this rude? some people are active and their TDEE's reflect that, I also am 5ft 2, 45 yrs old, 134lbs and I gain if I go over 2300. Everyone is different. If your sedentary your TDEE is low, if your active its not,..so not a rude reply at all, just a different opinion.

Saying those two statements together was braggy and seemingly rubbing it in her face imo.

My maintenance calories are ~3400.

Or said another way, if I go over 3400, I gain weight.

(You're welcome, RunRutheeRun...because your post now seems comparatively less rude. :flowerforyou:)

<3 it's all in how you say it :smiley:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm a 52 yr old female 5' 1", 114 lbs. If I go over 1200 calories I gain weight.

Wow, rude post

^ how is this rude? some people are active and their TDEE's reflect that, I also am 5ft 2, 45 yrs old, 134lbs and I gain if I go over 2300. Everyone is different. If your sedentary your TDEE is low, if your active its not,..so not a rude reply at all, just a different opinion.

Saying those two statements together was braggy and seemingly rubbing it in her face imo.

(You're welcome, RunRutheeRun...because your post now seems comparatively less rude. :flowerforyou:)

True.

And as such, I would like to amend my previous statement:

My maintenance calories are ~3400...

...and that makes me better than everyone else.

:tongue:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

Wow, rude post

True.

LOL... some might say, lucky thing...but if you earn it ..you just go ahead and eat it :smiley:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wow, rude post

True.

LOL... some might say, lucky thing...but if you earn it ..you just go ahead and eat it :smiley:

These is my pre-exercise TDEE. There is no "earn" here...unless you count my generally active lifestyle and outgoing personality.
  • jor53
    jor53 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 54, are 1250 cal enough for me? I am always under, I feel like it's too much for me to eat, I exercise at least 5 days out of the week, sometimes 6.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

Wow, rude post

True.

These is my pre-exercise TDEE. There is no "earn" here...unless you count my generally active lifestyle and outgoing personality.

And you're a guy which means your TDEE is naturally higher anyway :smiley: .....I'll just have to take your word about your personality :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jor53 wrote: »
    I am 54, are 1250 cal enough for me? I am always under, I feel like it's too much for me to eat, I exercise at least 5 days out of the week, sometimes 6.

Are you making reasonable and satisfactory progress towards your goals? Are you goals reasonable? Are you confident (or at least as confident as you can be) in your calculation of calories consumed because you weigh and measure appropriately? Are you meeting your nutritional targets/minimum to avoid any deficiencies? Do you feel adequately fueled for your exercise? Are you sleeping well? Do you have any symptoms that might be attributed to insufficient calories/nutrition? Do you mean you "feel like it's too much...to eat" because of the quantity of food? If so, have you considered more calorie dense foods?

TL;DR - It depends.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

The 'average' intake guidelines (in the UK at least) are 2000 for women and 2500 for men. I am 5"8 (i.e. about 2 inches taller than UK average) for a woman and MFP calculates my TDEE to be 1950 at sedentary.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm 56 and my BMR was calculated by a device my trainer used as 1136 sedentary. I also exercise, so tend to eat between 1300-1400 a day. I have to admit that if I eat under 1200, I usually feel hungry, and I do try to keep to nutrient dense lower calorie meals and small snacks. The only time 1200 seems like "too much" is if I have a long day and am just too stressed and tired to cook.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

how tall are you and how much do you weigh and how much do you want to lose? it isn't just about your age.
  • sugar_fit
    Options
    The average person has less than two legs. Why do I have two legs?
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    WTF is an average person? Idiotic concept at best.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    WTF is an average person? Idiotic concept at best.

yeah, i said a bunch of times that 2000 is not average, but just a round number they came up with based on self reported data, but seems like everyone has me on ignore or something.
  • CataPopa
    CataPopa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!

try to use https://cronometer.com/ this site :smile: