Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    How long til this thread gets shut down, anybody have a guess-timate?
    What reason would I be shut down for? never used forums before so I don't know the rules etc

notme.gif

He's going to go far.
    I'll put a tener this doesn't make page 20.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    What reason would I be shut down for? never used forums before so I don't know the rules etc

notme.gif

He's going to go far.

Page 15 for me
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

notme.gif

He's going to go far.

Page 15 for me

I read someone said page 10.
  • Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run, I lift, I play, I hike tall mountains. :) I'll never be a body builder girl (and while those are impressive and beautiful women it's not the type of body I want for myself anyway) but at my best I was squatting 150 lb which I was pretty proud of. I'd like to get to that again soon, now that I'm back into it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

notme.gif

He's going to go far.

Page 15 for me

oooo getting close!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    His friend count has doubled in the last hour, all girls. Hmmmmm......
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

notme.gif

He's going to go far.

Page 15 for me

That's @JoRocka.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I don't weight train for quite a variety of reasons:

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

4. Did I mention I don't enjoy it?

What sexist place do you live in!? Women can only go for certain hours!? Sheesh, you need to report that place. That's sounds so illegal.

She clarified later she's in the middle east, which would make a lot of sense actually. At least they are allowed in a mixed gym at all.

I missed that! It's so different over the world, isn't it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

notme.gif

He's going to go far.

Page 15 for me

Noted!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Well that is what he wanted right?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

What sexist place do you live in!? Women can only go for certain hours!? Sheesh, you need to report that place. That's sounds so illegal.

Again, it's the middle east. Many women are Muslim and would not like to be seen by men without their head cover (which they take off in the gym). Where there is demand, there is supply.. and there IS demand for female only gyms. Not all gyms are like that. There are mixed gender gyms, but the ones I have access to are either all-female or operated on equal time splits between men and women (men are not allowed in before noon).

That makes sense. Sorry!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow, this thread is amusing. I never knew so many females were offended by being called "girl". I refer to myself as a girl often. So do my friends. Sometimes we even refer to each other as "chick".

Also a big thanks to whoever posted the Booth pic. B)
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

yep yep yep
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

And his first friend hasn't logged on for 24 months. So, yeah, how did this person accept a FR from a new member?

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Usually reading the rules on how to use something is what you should do before you start using it.

You read the manual an T&C's of everything you do/use? Don't be silly

The manual, yes. Terms and conditions, not so much. They all say more or less the same thing. However, when using something that can burn you as much as this thread is (though your blatant ignorance is definitely shielding you), then it's wise to read the instruction first.

It cant "burn me" haha its an opinion forum, in reality what is said here causes not even a flicker on the fuckometer! Like has been said previously there is small bits of good info dotted around the thread that people can learn from(not just my posts haha) that I will look into.

Technically, if your posts and comments are seen as harassment or misinformation, you can be banned from the site. Honestly, I doubt that will happen but you should be aware of the possibility.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is amusing. I never knew so many females were offended by being called "girl". I refer to myself as a girl often. So do my friends. Sometimes we even refer to each other as "chick".

Also a big thanks to whoever posted the Booth pic. B)

Would you be offended by a male stranger who walked up to you, called you a girl, and started treating you as if you were ignorant and who didn't know anything and had to be coddled and must have her hand held as you walk across the street?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

And his first friend hasn't logged on for 24 months. So, yeah, how did this person accept a FR from a new member?

I saw that, weird.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

She clarified later she's in the middle east, which would make a lot of sense actually. At least they are allowed in a mixed gym at all.

I missed that! It's so different over the world, isn't it.

I go to a gym that has both mixed/women only classes. In France. Which would be illegal here except the teacher is open to having men only classes. Guess what, there is no interest.
  • rshear1026
    Options
    I love weight training, swear by it, and believe it is essential to weight loss in men and women!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Again, it's the middle east. Many women are Muslim and would not like to be seen by men without their head cover (which they take off in the gym). Where there is demand, there is supply.. and there IS demand for female only gyms. Not all gyms are like that. There are mixed gender gyms, but the ones I have access to are either all-female or operated on equal time splits between men and women (men are not allowed in before noon).

@amusedmonkey I hope you don't mind but I have some questions about Muslim women & the hijab.

Do all the women take it off to workout during the women only time? Or just most?
    I saw a lady at my gym wearing one last week or so, along with long pants & long shirt (I think even a long skirt over the pants). I couldn't help but wonder how hot she must be with all of that on. (but I also wonder how people workout at my gym wearing sweatpants & a t-shirt, I overheat in my tank top and shorts lol)
    I know only a little bit about Islam and this whole thing just fascinates me.
    Do they take off the headcover at home when they're alone with their husbands? (or is that a personal preference/family matter?)

I appreciate your time =]

@lishie_rebooted They do take it off in the gym (and wear shorts), they also take it off at home if she is not expecting male visitors other than the husband, the woman's brothers, father or young boys. Basically, they usually wear it to cover up in front of "foreign" males who are over a certain age (can't remember what age exactly - I'm not a Muslim).
This discussion has been closed.