Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    His friend count has doubled in the last hour, all girls. Hmmmmm......

Well that is what he wanted right?

And his first friend hasn't logged on for 24 months. So, yeah, how did this person accept a FR from a new member?

I saw that, weird.

I would called it an error that they have not logged in 24 months.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is amusing. I never knew so many females were offended by being called "girl". I refer to myself as a girl often. So do my friends. Sometimes we even refer to each other as "chick".

Also a big thanks to whoever posted the Booth pic. B)

Would you be offended by a male stranger who walked up to you, called you a girl, and started treating you as if you were ignorant and who didn't know anything and had to be coddled and must have her hand held as you walk across the street?

Probably not. I have had many men call me girl, but never had anyone treat me as if I didn't know anything. I don't offend easily.

I see comments similar to the OP re: weight lifting on MFP all the time from both men and women, so I just kind of ignore the "you won't get bulky" crap. Bulky is such a subjective term anyway.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options

And his first friend hasn't logged on for 24 months. So, yeah, how did this person accept a FR from a new member?

That's the missus, she don't use the app anymore

Technically, if your posts and comments are seen as harassment or misinformation, you can be banned from the site. Honestly, I doubt that will happen but you should be aware of the possibility.[/quote]

I dont think I've harassed or give any misinformation, but thanks for the info

• rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a weight lifting female. I did pilates for years as my fitness method of choice, partly because I actually really enjoy it, and partly because I don't like gyms and it was easy for me to do in the comfort of my own home.

Circumstances changed after a long illness which came with an equally long period of bed rest and a house move to one with a gym. I now lift weights 3 times a week, partly because I knew it would help me gain back the lost muscle mass faster than anything else, and partly because I had the opportunity to do so without having to go to a gym. I now love it just as much as the pilates (which I still do partly as a warm up and often just as spontaneous sessions on non-weight days). I focus on the big compound lifts, it was as surprise to enjoy it so much, initially it was a means to an end and now I think it will be a life long habit.

Even my PT has been impressed with the rate in which I have gained the muscle back, I put that largely down to my enjoyment of it. I think the more you enjoy something the more effort you put in each time and that extra 5-10% that gives you rather than just 'going through the motions' makes all the difference.

Male or female, we should all do whatever exercise we enjoy, as long as it's medically appropriate of course.

And as for the 'getting bulky' part. If bulking up means increasing size - then yes I have "bulked up" and managed to put on almost 5kg plus inches. I've put on 2 inches on each thigh and 2 inches around my hips. I'm not entire sure though that anyone could describe me as 'bulky' at 45kg though! I still think I could do with another 3kg, hopefully as much of that will be muscle as is possible for me, as a woman, to pack on! I have obviously been eating like a fiend throughout the process and I am aware that it's impossible to bulk up for those on a calorie deficit.

YAY for bulking up!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

That's the missus, she don't use the app anymore

Technically, if your posts and comments are seen as harassment or misinformation, you can be banned from the site. Honestly, I doubt that will happen but you should be aware of the possibility.
    I dont think I've harassed or give any misinformation, but thanks for the info

And now we know why you've decided to become a female friend collector.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

classic MFP collector status.

borat_great_success.jpg
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I love lifting. I used to only be all about cardio, until I shattered an ankle so I started seriously lifting. Now my ankle is healed and all I do is lift with the occasional cardio sesh and I'm in better shape than I've been in my whole life, plus I can eat a whole hell of a lot more food. So basically I lift because I love being strong and I love food. Plus I enjoy watching people's eyes bug out when I start squatting and deadlifting more than my body weight. :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it, so.....?

So you speak for all women?

did I say that? no, I said i was glad I was normal and my opinion of normal is not reading into what every single person says. It is such a waste of time. Sure there are lots of people out there who do say flat out offensive things, but I think how this was written is not the intent.

But you say normal which like the other postersaid implies that normal women would not mind being call "girl". As you see from the thread if you read the whole thing(I did) that more say "girl" is offensive to them. So are these women not "normal?"

They may be normal but it isn't healthy to get so offended by a term given by a perfect stranger on a general message board in a tone that was not meant to be offensive. If they truly get offended so easily then I envy them, because they clearly have no REAL issues to deal with in life. There are terms thrown around on this board that annoy or irritate me, but offend? I don't think so. Besides, he's apologized several times. Get over it people. Move on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Wow, this thread is amusing. I never knew so many females were offended by being called "girl". I refer to myself as a girl often. So do my friends. Sometimes we even refer to each other as "chick".

Would you be offended by a male stranger who walked up to you, called you a girl, and started treating you as if you were ignorant and who didn't know anything and had to be coddled and must have her hand held as you walk across the street?

Probably not. I have had many men call me girl, but never had anyone treat me as if I didn't know anything. I don't offend easily.

I see comments similar to the OP re: weight lifting on MFP all the time from both men and women, so I just kind of ignore the "you won't get bulky" crap. Bulky is such a subjective term anyway.

I guess I should correct that to say I've never had anyone treat me as if I don't know anything, unless I didn't. If a subject is new or foreign to me, I have no problem saying "I'm completely ignorant on this subject, so please walk me through it".
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »
    A woman lifting weights is incredibly sexy, not just to watch but the knowledge she is lifting to improve herself.

We're not talking women here. We're talking girls.

haveaseat-3b.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    9 pages and not a single picture of women lifting weights.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it, so.....?

So you speak for all women?

did I say that? no, I said i was glad I was normal and my opinion of normal is not reading into what every single person says. It is such a waste of time. Sure there are lots of people out there who do say flat out offensive things, but I think how this was written is not the intent.

But you say normal which like the other postersaid implies that normal women would not mind being call "girl". As you see from the thread if you read the whole thing(I did) that more say "girl" is offensive to them. So are these women not "normal?"

They may be normal but it isn't healthy to get so offended by a term given by a perfect stranger on a general message board in a tone that was not meant to be offensive. If they truly get offended so easily then I envy them, because they clearly have no REAL issues to deal with in life. There are terms thrown around on this board that annoy or irritate me, but offend? I don't think so. Besides, he's apologized several times. Get over it people. Move on.

lol lol lol
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

because we are discussing girls - not women.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did weight train but it's so discouraging when the only advice is NROL or Stronglifts that BOTH NEED A BIG BARBELL. I don't have access to them with the uni gym membership I have! If someone could give me a good dumbbell routine that will actually work I'd be all for going back to it, as I did quite enjoy it. I need to know something will work before I can commit to it, and me making up routines by compiling random exercises from the internet does not feel like it's gonna do anything, and will be a waste of time - hence no motivation....

Can anyone help with dumbbell ideas?

(Also anyone weighing in on the woman/girl thing who doesn't identify as female can frankly *kitten* right off)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    farberry wrote: »
    I did weight train but it's so discouraging when the only advice is NROL or Stronglifts that BOTH NEED A BIG BARBELL. I don't have access to them with the uni gym membership I have! If someone could give me a good dumbbell routine that will actually work I'd be all for going back to it, as I did quite enjoy it. I need to know something will work before I can commit to it, and me making up routines by compiling random exercises from the internet does not feel like it's gonna do anything, and will be a waste of time - hence no motivation....

(Also anyone weighing in on the woman/girl thing who doesn't identify as female can frankly *kitten* right off)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Gymnastics training or similar is probably your best bet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Check out Chalean Extreme. I think it's a Beachbody product. I haven't done it, but a friend of mine has had good results with it and it's all dumbbells.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You have to create a clueless sounding post so that the wimminz will feel sorry for you and PM the pics. Your ole lady will never know, she hasn't logged on for 2 years.

• Sugarbeat
    Options

That wasn't the impression I got from the OP at all. I think folks are being too sensitive. Should he grovel at the feet of the rest of the self-proclaimed "experts" posting here, just because they've been around awhile? I don't think so personally but to each their own.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I'm a woman and I love lifting. I used to only be all about cardio, until I shattered an ankle so I started seriously lifting. Now my ankle is healed and all I do is lift with the occasional cardio sesh and I'm in better shape than I've been in my whole life, plus I can eat a whole hell of a lot more food. So basically I lift because I love being strong and I love food. Plus I enjoy watching people's eyes bug out when I start squatting and deadlifting more than my body weight. :)

I like this. While I'm not interested in doing this myself I have a friend who lifts very heavy and I think its awesome. Glad to hear your ankle has healed.
This discussion has been closed.