Processed foods

Options

Replies

• Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Exactly! :) i would much rather eat frozen veggies than a box of hamburger helper.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

How long does it take to mill your flour for your pizza?

I would guess 7.5 minutes as it takes me about 15 minutes to mill a complete flour container from kernels using an electric mill.

I have a hand crank mill. It would take me a bit longer. Especially to grind it to a fine flour texture.
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Processed food is a spectrum, but is used as an industry term as shorthand for things like Doritos, hamburger helper, and all of those "convenience foods" that are prepared and available at the store.

As others have mentioned, I suggest being a label reader. If you're trying to lower your consumption of salt, sugar, or fat, it's very difficult, even if you buy "good brands" or "healthy food". If you're not careful, that can of beans has a lot of sugar and salt in it. Read those labels carefully so you know what you're getting into.

Unless you're a homesteader, you probably won't be able to remove every single processed item from your diet. The farmer's market was mentioned, and that is definitely a good option. I'd say whenever you can buy fresh meat, so much the better, but I do supplement with frozen when needed. I try to use fresh veg and avoid pesticides, but I do have frozen veg in the freezer just in case. We have brown rice and dry beans in the cupboards, and I usually make up a bunch or rice and veg at once to last for several meals. I plan out my meals on the weekend and make/buy for the week, so I'm not faced with "what's for dinner".. it's hard to make good choices when you don't have the ingredients or time.

I also make a dinner for 2 or 3 nights at once, and I make breakfast for the whole week on the weekend.

If you have concerns over processed foods, you should read "Salt, Sugar, and Fat". The book is Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Michael Moss, who interviewed food scientists and CEOs in those industries, as well as use of FOIA requests, to see the growth of the industry and their approaches through time of adding Salt, Sugar, and Fat. There is a "perfect amount" of these components for each food, called the "bliss point", which makes your body crave more and increase consumption of those foods (so they sell more). This bliss point affects people differently as far as strength of craving, and this even cuts along demographic lines by age group and ethnicity. It's extremely interesting, and it explains the biology, chemistry, and causes of the body's reactions, as well as the "safe levels" of having these things, according to independent studies. (Even red meat, processed meat, etc., as well as what conditions someone might have an increased risk of developing due to these items.)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do love sour patch kids, just pointing out how unhelpful people are, the OP asked for non processed foods. Making your own pizza dough from a recipe still requires use of processed ingredients.

Likewise, if I grow organic broccoli in my backyard and then pick it, there was still a "process" to picking it. Therefore it's "processed" and I might as well just eat twinkies and pop tarts instead b/c all food is processed. Great point . . . not.

FYI, when people talk about processed foods they're not using it as an all or nothing term. They're looking for less processed foods that typically have less unhealthy additives and more nutrients then their more processed counterparts.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Processed food is a spectrum, but is used as an industry term as shorthand for things like Doritos, hamburger helper, and all of those "convenience foods" that are prepared and available at the store.

As others have mentioned, I suggest being a label reader. If you're trying to lower your consumption of salt, sugar, or fat, it's very difficult, even if you buy "good brands" or "healthy food". If you're not careful, that can of beans has a lot of sugar and salt in it. Read those labels carefully so you know what you're getting into.

Unless you're a homesteader, you probably won't be able to remove every single processed item from your diet. The farmer's market was mentioned, and that is definitely a good option. I'd say whenever you can buy fresh meat, so much the better, but I do supplement with frozen when needed. I try to use fresh veg and avoid pesticides, but I do have frozen veg in the freezer just in case. We have brown rice and dry beans in the cupboards, and I usually make up a bunch or rice and veg at once to last for several meals. I plan out my meals on the weekend and make/buy for the week, so I'm not faced with "what's for dinner".. it's hard to make good choices when you don't have the ingredients or time.

I also make a dinner for 2 or 3 nights at once, and I make breakfast for the whole week on the weekend.

If you have concerns over processed foods, you should read "Salt, Sugar, and Fat". The book is Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Michael Moss, who interviewed food scientists and CEOs in those industries, as well as use of FOIA requests, to see the growth of the industry and their approaches through time of adding Salt, Sugar, and Fat. There is a "perfect amount" of these components for each food, called the "bliss point", which makes your body crave more and increase consumption of those foods (so they sell more). This bliss point affects people differently as far as strength of craving, and this even cuts along demographic lines by age group and ethnicity. It's extremely interesting, and it explains the biology, chemistry, and causes of the body's reactions, as well as the "safe levels" of having these things, according to independent studies. (Even red meat, processed meat, etc., as well as what conditions someone might have an increased risk of developing due to these items.)

you are focused on the wrong things when it comes to food. what does sugar and salt have to do with it...
    you really do not know what you are talking about.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any good tips as to how to cut out processed foods?

Stop buying them and eating them.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

Let's take pasta sauce, which I can at home. It is given a water bath, the skins and seeds removed, put in a pot with other ingredients, cooked, poured into Mason jars, then boiled. Each of these steps is a level or processing. Notice I did not add in evil.

I'm totally cool with processing if it just means chopping, peeling etc...

If super market tomato sauces just contained tomatoes and maybe some seasoning and herbs that would be cool.

The "processing" isn't the issue - it's the added sugar, completely unnecessary preservatives, colours and texture enhancers - why do we need them in our diet? Sugar makes us fat and it is addictive.

I buy fresh organic pasta sauces with no artificial ingrediants from time to time for convenience.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    af6afacd-d74d-4e2c-b5a5-12c1c4f483d3_zpsb363e9e3.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes us fat and it is addictive.

I know I am sooo fat from snorting lines of sugar
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are lots and lots of websites devoted to clean eating recipes and such... that's the best way I've found!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Build and run your own farm.

But in reality, there's really no big harm in processed foods. Eat whole food 80% of the time and 20% eat whatever you want within calorie range.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was talking about the crazy amounts of salt, sugar, and fat often added to processed foods. High levels of these things in our diet are not healthy. Sorry if I was being unclear.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

Haha. If God didn't make it don't eat is basically. Have you even heard of The Daniel Fast? It's a fast and no meat but it's kinda the same idea. Clean eating as much as possible. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who is hard core enough to mill their own flour for a pizza haha but it's still funny.

WHAT IS THE DANIEL FAST?

The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast. It is a method of fasting that men, women and young people all over the world are using as they enter into the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting.

There are two anchoring scriptures for the Daniel Fast. In Daniel 1 the Prophet ate only vegetables (that would have included fruits) and drank only water. So from these scriptures we get two of the guidelines for the fast:

Only fruits and vegetables
    Only water for a beverage

Then in Daniel 10 we read that the Prophet ate no meat nor any precious breads or foods and he drank no wine for 21 days. So from this scripture, we get a third guideline:

No sweeteners and no breads

Another important guideline is drawn from Jewish fasting principles, where no leaven is used during the fast. So that’s why yeast, baking powder and the like are not allowed on the Daniel Fast.

Finally, with all the above puzzle pieces, we conclude that no artificial or processed foods nor any chemicals are allowed on the Daniel Fast.

When asked about the eating plan on the Daniel Fast, I often say it is a “vegan diet with even more restrictions.”

Be sure to read the ingredients on labels of prepared foods to make sure they only include Daniel Fast friendly ingredients.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.

Sugar wasn't the problem. It was overeating. Sugar is not evil. Man I hate it when people demonize food.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP - no one here is going to argue that you should eat McDonald's every day or should eat nothing but canned foods. I find the convenience fact is increased many fold by keep frozen vegetables, fruit and meats in the house. When I come home late, or we have all been busy all day, it's easy enough to cook up a great meal with some key ingredients.

Too often "processed" food is given a bad rap because it all is thrown in the same box as Oreos. Canned low sodium tomatoes, for example, make a great base for puttanesca which works very well on chicken breast or fish.

Mmmm, Oreos.

Yea, that was definitely not an attack on the sacred Oreo. I love those things, but I don't make them the center of my diet.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Buy whole fruits and vegetables from the produce section at the grocery store.

2. Buy grains that you can recognize (like oats and rice) in bulk.

3. Purchase raw milk and honey.

4. Don't buy anything in a box that isn't refrigerated or loaded with preservatives.

5. Get your meats cut by the butcher.

6. Buy organic as much as possible.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Haha. If God didn't make it don't eat is basically. Have you even heard of The Daniel Fast? It's a fast and no meat but it's kinda the same idea. Clean eating as much as possible. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who is hard core enough to mill their own flour for a pizza haha but it's still funny.

WHAT IS THE DANIEL FAST?

The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast. It is a method of fasting that men, women and young people all over the world are using as they enter into the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting.

There are two anchoring scriptures for the Daniel Fast. In Daniel 1 the Prophet ate only vegetables (that would have included fruits) and drank only water. So from these scriptures we get two of the guidelines for the fast:

Then in Daniel 10 we read that the Prophet ate no meat nor any precious breads or foods and he drank no wine for 21 days. So from this scripture, we get a third guideline:

Another important guideline is drawn from Jewish fasting principles, where no leaven is used during the fast. So that’s why yeast, baking powder and the like are not allowed on the Daniel Fast.

Finally, with all the above puzzle pieces, we conclude that no artificial or processed foods nor any chemicals are allowed on the Daniel Fast.

When asked about the eating plan on the Daniel Fast, I often say it is a “vegan diet with even more restrictions.”

Be sure to read the ingredients on labels of prepared foods to make sure they only include Daniel Fast friendly ingredients.
    I am not religious,nor am I Christian...

but didnt jesus make fish multiple or something as a miracle
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

WHAT IS THE DANIEL FAST?

I am not religious,nor am I Christian...

but didnt jesus make fish multiple or something as a miracle

Daniel fast? Is that what you force lions to do when you outrun them?
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    I was talking about the crazy amounts of salt, sugar, and fat often added to processed foods. High levels of these things in our diet are not healthy. Sorry if I was being unclear.

This is also what I meant when I say sugar makes us fat.

It is added into so many foods now that it is easy for the average non calorie counting person to massively over-consume without knowing it.

There is a massive obesity crisis and sugar is a contributing factor in that.