Processed foods

Options

Replies

• joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is no packaged meals or snacks (we all, however, will have our cheat day every once in a while). I find recipes on the internet for muffins and snacks. People get fooled by those 100 calorie snacks which are such a scam. Look at the nutritional value in those. I can snack on a 1/4 cup of almonds and feel full and satisfied for a few hours. If you really want to go serious, check out the Paleo diet.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes us fat and it is addictive.

I know I am sooo fat from snorting lines of sugar

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.
    No I was never fat

Then you have no idea what it is like, easy enough to spout generic cookie cutter advice when you haven't been there. Sure someone who has a weight problem is 100% likely battling something mental and in turn can't "just have a little sugar"

Anyone who has battled any kind of bad habit/addiction whatever you want to call it can hardly take advice from someone who hasn't.

I have never been a smoker, yes I have tried them but I sure as hell am not going to say "that is why I don't buy that cigarettes give you cancer"
    I never was fat cause I moved around all the time while still eating TONS of sugar, which people seem to think and preach about making people fat. Also, it is not genetic. My youngest brother is over 300lbs. We grew up with the same diet but he was part of the "stay in and play video games" generation, while I was the "play outside from dawn to dusk" generation.

Wait till the Doc tells you that you are diabetic, All the running around you do wont mean a hoot. Keep pumping that suger and salt into your body, cause you will grow older and thats when the real fun starts !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    shop the outside asiles of your grocery store first. Lots of veggies. I also buy the big bag of birds eye frozen veggies from Wal mart.

And how do the veggies get frozen and bagged? Processing...
    Still better than a hot pocket.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.
    No I was never fat

Then you have no idea what it is like, easy enough to spout generic cookie cutter advice when you haven't been there. Sure someone who has a weight problem is 100% likely battling something mental and in turn can't "just have a little sugar"

Anyone who has battled any kind of bad habit/addiction whatever you want to call it can hardly take advice from someone who hasn't.

I have never been a smoker, yes I have tried them but I sure as hell am not going to say "that is why I don't buy that cigarettes give you cancer"
    I never was fat cause I moved around all the time while still eating TONS of sugar, which people seem to think and preach about making people fat. Also, it is not genetic. My youngest brother is over 300lbs. We grew up with the same diet but he was part of the "stay in and play video games" generation, while I was the "play outside from dawn to dusk" generation.

Wait till the Doc tells you that you are diabetic, All the running around you do wont mean a hoot. Keep pumping that suger and salt into your body, cause you will grow older and thats when the real fun starts !
    Yeah I will just like my 90 year old grandparents who eat the same way I do without health problems glad I am a special snowflake
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Implying that sugar intake causes diabetes irrespective of body mass and cardiovascular health
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Implying that sugar intake causes diabetes irrespective of body mass and cardiovascular health

Not implying anything , just telling what might happen !
  • Tigg_er
    Options

No I was never fat

Yeah I will just like my 90 year old grandparents who eat the same way I do without health problems glad I am a special snowflake

Hey its your life pal ! Make your bets !
  • jonnythan
    Options

You're saying that he's significantly more likely to become diabetic because of his sugar intake, despite his level of fitness and body composition.

There is pretty much zero data to support that claim.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

You're saying that he's significantly more likely to become diabetic because of his sugar intake, despite his level of fitness and body composition.

There is pretty much zero data to support that claim.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.

And if you cross the street during rush hour traffic you could just get hit by a car or a truck or a plane or a train, of coarse thats just my opinion
    its also called common sense.
    Are you saying that if your mass is big that it does not matter how much sugar or salt you intake it has no bearing on your health ?
    Where are you getting these facts from ?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Sugar does not cause diabetes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And if you cross the street during rush hour traffic you could just get hit by a car or a truck or a plane or a train, of coarse thats just my opinion
    Are you saying that if your mass is big that it does not matter how much sugar or salt you intake it has no bearing on your health ?

I'm saying that sugar doesn't cause diabetes. You are under the mistaken impression that it does.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

I'm saying that sugar doesn't cause diabetes. You are under the mistaken impression that it does.

Okay LOL Quote ( There is pretty much zero data to support that claim.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts. )
  • jonnythan
    Options

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts. )

Produce scientific data that sugar causes diabetes irrespective of calorie intake, body composition, etc. I'm expecting something like a randomized control trial, case control trial, or prospective cohort study.

Seriously. If you have solid data that establishes a causative link between sugar consumption and diabetes within the confines of a calorie-controlled diet in active people of healthy body mass and low body fat, I will eat my hat.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    double post
  • dayone987
    Options

According to Mayo Clinic main risk factors for diabetes include being overweight, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, inactivity, gestational diabetes, PCOS, race, family history.

Use of sugar and salt not in that list.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

According to Mayo Clinic main risk factors for diabetes include being overweight, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, inactivity, gestational diabetes, PCOS, race, family history.

There are no ingrediants on that list, what would be a contribution to high cholesterol, high trglycerides, high blood pressure, what are contributing factors to those conditions ?
  • dayone987
    Options

There are no ingrediants on that list, what would be a contribution to high cholesterol, high trglycerides, high blood pressure, what are contributing factors to those conditions ?

Eating too much of pretty much anything and not moving enough causes those conditions. Many people that eat sugar and salt have healthy weights, normal blood work and normal blood pressure. If you can't control your intake,then maybe you should avoid these substance as much as you can. Doesn't mean than others shouldn't enjoy them.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Produce scientific data that sugar causes diabetes irrespective of calorie intake, body composition, etc. I'm expecting something like a randomized control trial, case control trial, or prospective cohort study.

Seriously. If you have solid data that establishes a causative link between sugar consumption and diabetes within the confines of a calorie-controlled diet in active people of healthy body mass and low body fat, I will eat my hat.

There is your answer --within the confines of a calorie-controlled diet. I never said that you could not have sugar. If you are not in the confines of a calorie-controlled diet then over-consumption of sugar regardless of body mass and low body fat will over a period of time have an impact on your health and can be a contributing factor in having diabetic problems.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Mostly excess calorie intake and sedentary lifestyle.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Eating too much of pretty much anything and not moving enough causes those conditions. Many people that eat sugar and salt have healthy weights, normal blood work and normal blood pressure. If you can't control your intake,then maybe you should avoid these substance as much as you can. Doesn't mean than others shouldn't enjoy them.

You need to read all the posts. Never said nobody could not enjoy them. If you have total disregard to your consumption then so be it.