What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options

Replies

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When someone is too thin and bordering on unhealthily thin- we tell them- "honey you need help" or "please see a counselor." If someone is unhealthily overweight- we (as a society) look at them with disgust and assume so many things about their personalities that are just not true a lot of times- like they must be lazy, selfish and gluttonous, etc.

Isn't that the truth?! Never once has my husband, family, mother, or friends ever warned me about my weight creeping back up (I've done this so many times in my life I've lost count... the most recent was when I lost 60 pounds in 2010 but have since gained it all back, plus a few). Sometimes it makes me angry because if I was engaged in any other self-destructive behavior, my loving family and friends would have said something about it. But when it comes to weight gain, society, as a whole, is dead silent (pun intended).

• reeyonce
    reeyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everything. There are absolutely 0 positives to being fat. I can't wait to be a non-fat person :(
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Pictures, but not only the pictures. Knowing that I was walking around looking like that all the time (yeah, I'm vain) was horrible for me. I avoided a lot of activities with my friends.

Going to a place that was crowded and trying to follow a friend through the crowd, only I needed a lot more space to pass than any of my friends and would sometimes hit chairs with my hind quarters.

I never stopped running, but I was embarrassed to be seen at races because I got so big and so slow.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts just makes me wonder about all of the self-hatred surrounded by being overweight. I mean, even from very young ages, if you watch, you can see how children don't like the "fat kid" and don't want to be around him/her. Why is this? Do they learn it from their parents? The media? Or is it something ingrained in us as human beings that we are not attracted to people who are overweight or obese? I just wonder. I can understand all of the things people hate such as not being healthy, getting out of breath, joints hurting, not fitting into small chairs on planes, etc and not fitting into the clothes you like. But all the self-loathing makes me kind of sad. Can we just love ourselves no matter what our size and lose weight and get healthy because of all of the other reasons? Can we give ourselves a great big hug and squeeze- hug your belly fat!! Love yourself, no matter what size you are, because you know what? You are SO much more than your appearance. You are a complex, multidimensional person with their own talents, interests, abilities and brilliant minds (talking to all the self-haters out there). And yes, you can be healthy even if considered "overweight' by the charts the doctors have, just like you can be unhealthy and be thin. When someone is too thin and bordering on unhealthily thin- we tell them- "honey you need help" or "please see a counselor." If someone is unhealthily overweight- we (as a society) look at them with disgust and assume so many things about their personalities that are just not true a lot of times- like they must be lazy, selfish and gluttonous, etc. Accept yourself; love yourself; lose to feel better and lower health risks and exercise to feel great and have fun. That's all- end of my soap box rant.

^^^So this!

To the OP - I think two things for me have been the hardest:

1. Concern over health - I don't have health complications from obesity, but my dad did (type 2 diabetes) and passed away at 57. My mom developed diabetes in the past year or so, and she's in her 60s, and she has some knee and back issues that affect her mobility. My birth mother is in her mid-60s, and has type-two diabetes and heart problems and is currently on oxygen (a combination of lifelong smoking and the obesity). I want no parts of that when I'm older and I want to make the effort now to at least try to avoid it while I'm still youngish (30s) and healthy.

2. Assumptions about the obese. People seem to think that being obese means that other character flaws must coexist when they really don't for me. I'm nowhere near lazy, I have been on my own since I turned 18, I have a job, I have an advanced degree, I am happily married to a man who loves me and isn't afraid to be seen in public with me, and I surely do not hate myself. TBH being fat doesn't mean I have to hate myself - it seems to be too many people internalizing societal prejudice against the obese. The reason why I am making the changes I'm making is because I love myself now - I loved myself at 334, I love myself at 308, and I sure hope I love myself when I make it to goal. But back to #1 - I just want to make sure my quality of life is high for a long, long time.
  • leeswain23
    Options
    Same for me I can't let anyone take a picture of me anymore not even with my children. It's so depressing :-( I don't like to go out either because I feel people will look at me. I used to be slim and active and gradually gained a lot of weight over 5 years and I'm now ashamed of
    Myself I'm also new here and I'm determined to get back to how I was years ago good luck to you xx
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The worst thing about being fat for me was being fat. I was the really skinny kid and never thought I'd ever be a fat adult. Gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant and did nothing about it for far too long. I will never go back there. I agree with others that said there is nothing good about being fat. Achy joints, lesser clothing options, etc. etc. etc. It really does limit life.
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yep. The lack of confidence .
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    So many things, but the worst is how it makes us feel bad about ourselves.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My gun jabs my gut when I squat.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Swamp butt.
  • Dolce_xxv
    Dolce_xxv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cloths being able to dress the way you want, looking the way you want. Also depends where you live or go, where I'm from it's all about what type of cloths you wear, how you look, everyone works out and are so into them selfs (how sad) but unfortunately they don't take big ppl seriously. Also depending on jobs. Damn people today are so materialistic and shallow !
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That feeling you get when you just cant fit into your clothes anymore. Or chafing, by god the chafing couldn't walk more than three miles without my inner thighs feeling like they were on fire. (thankfully neither one is a problem anymore, went a 11 mile walk today and boom no chafing) That and how much it costs to eat, seriously i was spending about £5-10 on snacks alone. Wow i cant decide whats the worst and i could go on and on but i'll refrain.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Ever having anyone think that I'm fat.

I'm not fat. I'm me. Know the difference.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Change1992 wrote: »
    I think for me, like other people have said, its the dropping out of fun, social events because of how embarrassed I am of my size. Plus, there's normally always someone with a camera!

Now I can;t to yo fun event with food because i am afraid i will go over my calorie count.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    whoops can't spell today, cant go to fun events with food because i am afraid i will go over my calorie count. I won't even go out to dinner at anyone's house or a restaurant because of temptation.
  • SkinnySierry
    Options
    •Shame related to size
    •Dependency on food to relieve stress and negative emotions
    •Not being able to fit certain sizes
    •Looking horrid in anything form fitting
    •Feeling selfish for gaining weight
    •Nothing looks right on me
    •Not feeling like myself anymore.

The last one has got to be the worst, I've never been this big in my life. It's uncomfortable and I'm embarrassed to be seen by anyone who doesn't know how fat I've gotten..:/
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    probably two things for me: seeing myself in pictures with my husband and walking way slower than my students on field trips...I'm not yet where I want to be weight-wise, but I am down two sizes and am starting to fall in love with my body now. I actually take selfies and gladly pose for photos with my husband.
  • wlee2089
    Options
    Here's mine:

1. Not having confidence in my looks and being afraid to approach women out of fear that they'll reject me for being too fat.
    2. Shopping. My body is weird in that most dept stores don't have my size but the big and tall stores are either too expensive or have clothes that are too big looking on me.
    3. Family. Weird because I'm probably in better shape than most of them but they seem to love making fun of my weight issues.
    4. Photos. I hate taking pictures and seeing how I look, especially next to skinny people.
    5. Sweating constantly. Even though I'm in decent shape for someone my size I sweat all the time. I may not even be tired but I'll start sweating if I walk too far, even in the winter. People have told me how gross I am when I'm all sweaty in the winter.
  • KungfuPanda14
    KungfuPanda14 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have so many to add to this list but the one thing that's motivating me at the moment is ;

it was my grandfathers 90th birthday on Aug 10th (Hes my whole world, he lives in the US and me in the UK, I am very close with him - he even adopted me for two years when I was a child) anyway, I went to see him for his 90th birthday (overseas) and I was too embarrassed to take a picture of just him and I on my phone because I knew I would look fat and ugly. He died on December 17th 2014 and I wish although I have the lovely memory of being with him, I wish I had that picture.
  • southofreason
    southofreason Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    smr09012 wrote: »
    Hands down, it's airplane seats. And the look that someone gives you when they're walking down the aisle and they realize they have to sit next to you.

This. I travel a lot and perpetually have bruises on my thighs from airplane seats.