losing fat/ gaining muscle mass simutaneously

Options

Replies

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ok, gotcha. I knew carbs and fats assist your body with rebuilding muscle, just thought it might primarily use the constant supply of protein and maybe turn to your stored fat and carbs if you're not supplying it with enough new ones. Definitely testosterone is key too. Was considering taking a test booster but a little fearful of messing with my hormones too much. Tried DIM for the first time yesterday, not a test booster but possibly blocks estrogen - wow I was progressively emotional and depressed as the day went on. Not sure I can handle that.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Ok, gotcha. I knew carbs and fats assist your body with rebuilding muscle, just thought it might primarily use the constant supply of protein and maybe turn to your stored fat and carbs if you're not supplying it with enough new ones. Definitely testosterone is key too. Was considering taking a test booster but a little fearful of messing with my hormones too much. Tried DIM for the first time yesterday, not a test booster but possibly blocks estrogen - wow I was progressively emotional and depressed as the day went on. Not sure I can handle that.

Don't take that stuff. Estrogen (although it's testosterones poor relative) plays it's part in building/maintaining muscle.

You'd be better off using gear than messing with your hormones (don't do that either though).

• rachstar77
    rachstar77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    there's no goal in here set to account for both losing fat and gaining muscle at the time, if I just lose fat, I'm just losing weight, if I just build muscle, I'm just gaining weight. I want to do both, so how do I make my goal? I will not do like all these other body buiilders and "bulk then cut" because I know it's possible to do both at the same time. So how do I set my goal weight and goal calorie intake and all that stuff?
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    It's a lie. You CAN build muscle and cut fat at the same time. The muscle burns calories faster anyway. It's not rocket science. Ignore the noise.

What does that have to do with losing fat and building muscle. I mean like how you do these goals because it seems you don't know?

• rachstar77
    rachstar77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What kind of training are you doing? Cardio? Weights? You will obviously need to lift weight to build muscle which in turn will help to burn fat because more muscle equals more fat being burned. The leaner we are the more calories we burn. There is such a thing as a clean bulk which means eating very clean and not eating "bad" foods. Check out bodybuilding.com. There are a lot of workout programs on there. I use Kris Gethin's programs and find they work well.

• irongrinder
    irongrinder Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ok, very hard to read all these and reply to everyone. So, I don't want you guys to think I'm not getting anything out of this because I really don't know anything about body building or working out, or the mechanics of the body when it comes to bulk and muscle and fat and nitric oxide and amino acids and all that.... I'm clueless, but I want to learn, ever since November I've been a mental sponge doing as much reading and watching videos on this stuff as I can.
    to Rachstar77, I do about 10 - 20 minutes of cardio to work up a sweat, then I hit weights.. I can't afford a gym membership so I workout at home with a plain jane flat bench (not exercise), a set of 1.5 lb dumbells, a set of 3 lb dumbells, a 30 lb set of dumbells, an ab wheel, 2 jugs of water, 2 spare tires, a bowling ball, (most of that is in my profile picture) a slab of concrete from an anchored pole, and a bucket of rocks hooked up to a rope and pully (for pull downs and whatever else I can think to do with it), and I recent added a 60 lb sandbag and a resistance band. but to tell you the truth I'm getting really bored with it. I put a cheap *kitten* Kmart weight bench on layaway so that'll give me some better weight training in a month when I pay it off.
    I workout in the basement that has a low ceiling and it's cold as hell down there even with a heater on, it's all concrete so I don't get internet to do youtube videos so I pretty much just do burpees and jumping jacks and mock jump rope and whatever I can (remind you it's a low ceiling so I can't jump without hitting my head or fully extend my arms up over my head)
    Like I said I have a goal, I have the motivation and drive, and at this point I'll do thatever it takes to get my dream body.
  • irongrinder
    irongrinder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm on bodybuilding.com, I use it every day along with this, it helps me a lot, my username is outtashape247 if you want to look me up
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The cold is a bonus! I workout in the garage and it's freezing just now but a nightmare in summer.

Rig up a pull-up bar in there - I love mine (various bits of pipe at all different angles my dad has screwed into the joists for me). I have a homemade bench and parallel bars (courtesy of my dad again) and a similar pulley system to yours, I just tie plates on.

I'd really recommend investing in a barbell, plates and squat rack. There are a lot more beginner programmes to pick from that way. It's well worth the money and you can buy gradually as you increase in strength.

Or google bodyweight programmes like YAYOG or convict conditioning, the guys who've designed these know what they're doing. Waldo's site is a great resource for bodyweight stuff too, strengthunbound.com
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »

As Elaine mentioned, don't use an estrogen blocker. Test boosters generally try to increase free test but really don't do anything for muscle synthesis. Of note, many have been shown to increase male libido for those with lowered test levels.

Any questions you have about supplements can generally be found at this site: examine.com/supplements/Diindolylmethane/ I've already did the search for DIM so you can see what the current research shows.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how slow it is? Is it known how much fat loss/muscle gain can take place in a year (a range since there will always be personal variables)?

I'm just curios since I've seen people recomp when they give up on the last 5 or 10 pounds, and it can take them several years. With 20 pounds, would it be possible if he gave it enough time (and is that likely to be 10 years or something ridiculous)?

I worked with a women for 18 months on her recomp. Started at 150 @ 26% body fat and is now 147 @ 14.5% body fat. And these were validated by a DEXA scan. But she was also very meticulous with her logging (in fact, ate rather boring as she as the same thing almost daily). But for the most part, recomps are taking 2 to 3 times longer than a normal bulk/cut cycle.

Updated numbers and routine on next page...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how slow it is? Is it known how much fat loss/muscle gain can take place in a year (a range since there will always be personal variables)?

I'm just curios since I've seen people recomp when they give up on the last 5 or 10 pounds, and it can take them several years. With 20 pounds, would it be possible if he gave it enough time (and is that likely to be 10 years or something ridiculous)?

I worked with a women for 15 months on her recomp. Started at 150 @ 26% body fat and is now 147 @ 14.5% body fat. And these were validated by a DEXA scan. But she was also very meticulous with her logging (in fact, ate rather boring as she as the same thing almost daily). But for the most part, recomps are taking 2 to 3 times longer than a normal bulk/cut cycle.

Man. I don't know if I have the patience for this.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I worked with a women for 15 months on her recomp. Started at 150 @ 26% body fat and is now 147 @ 14.5% body fat. And these were validated by a DEXA scan. But she was also very meticulous with her logging (in fact, ate rather boring as she as the same thing almost daily). But for the most part, recomps are taking 2 to 3 times longer than a normal bulk/cut cycle.

Is she eating at maintenance? Just wondering what your method is here...like what are her macros etc?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

So she gained 15 lbs of LBM in 15 months and lost 3 lbs of FM. Doesn't seem slow to me in the end it looks like she is were she would have been if she had have done the traditional bulk/cut cycle. Yes, it seems slow because the scale doesn't move and you don't see yourself blow up and shrink down but in the end it looks like she is right where she would have been anyway.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

So she gained 15 lbs of LBM in 15 months and lost 3 lbs of FM. Doesn't seem slow to me in the end it looks like she is were she would have been if she had have done the traditional bulk/cut cycle. Yes, it seems slow because the scale doesn't move and you don't see yourself blow up and shrink down but in the end it looks like she is right where she would have been anyway.

Well...when you put it that way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

IDK if i could be that meticulous with my logging for 15 months straight…I feel with a bulk/cut cycle you have a little more room for error…

but I could be wrong...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

^ do it!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Opps should have been 3lbs of total weight FM was about 18lbs lost.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IDK if i could be that meticulous with my logging for 15 months straight…I feel with a bulk/cut cycle you have a little more room for error…

but I could be wrong...

It's really a preference I guess.