Options

Replies

• aaron_larson94
    Options
    I think you're looking for steroids bro
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So this is a common issue. What you want to do is first bulk up, but you want to bulk up the best way possible, so yes you do want to eat as much as humanly possible, but that means you should try to eat as healthy as you can. You want your diet to still be well balanced with a reasonably high amount of protein as your muscles need protein to help repair. As for cutting that comes down to monitoring how much "water weight" you have ANDDD your body fat % as Mr. Allaboutmgains talked about. You should also be making sure you take measurements of different muscles in your body. Often times you may not see gains on the scale and you may not notice gains in the mirror, but you will see gains with the measurements and body fat % loss or gain. I recommend using the winter season to just focus on lifting heavy and eating high amounts of food, very minimal cardio like once a week if you're a hard gainer. When it comes time to the spring season, see where you're at with all of your measurements. Make sure your sodium content is not super high and that you drink MORE water. Often times your body retains water because there isn't enough water in the body. This seems confusing to people but water retention is huge when trying to look "more cut" which is why often times body builders will use drugs to urinate and get rid of excess fluid, to get more definition. Any questions you can message me. I'm no expert but I do plenty of research and am on my way to bulking up myself.
  • irongrinder
    irongrinder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Just tell MFP you want to maintain your weight. Or manually set your goal to your TDEE.

what the heck is TDEE?
  • irongrinder
    Options
    RHSheetz wrote: »
    OK, so I am in the process of doing this. I try and eat to maintenance level. My lifting creates a deficit, and I eat ALOT of protein. According to my body comps, I am losing fat and slowly adding muscle.

I eat normal portions if not more than I normally would, but I'm eating better stuff
  • irongrinder
    Options
    I think you're looking for steroids bro

I think you're on the crack boy, wrong place, I want nothing to do with that *kitten*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Just tell MFP you want to maintain your weight. Or manually set your goal to your TDEE.

what the heck is TDEE?

you know how to gain fat and lost muscle at the same time, but don't know what TDEE is??????? lol
  • irongrinder
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This ^

What is the issue? If you want to maintain at your current weight eat at a calorie level that achieves that over time (weeks not days!).
    Some experimentation may be required as all estimates are averages and your logging accuracy will have an impact.

BTW - How come your profile says "3lbs lost, 20lbs to go"?

because technically I need to lose 20 lbs of fat
  • irongrinder
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sorry, but you're technically on a cut. You'll see more definition and that will give the illusion you're adding muscle. Are your measurements going up? Biceps etc...

U can't add mass and lose weight at same time impossible. If u just eat protein your body can only digest so much and u will end up pissing the rest out and end up in the doctors. and u would probably stay same size for about 3 years before u added any #gains noticeable anyway if u done research correct like every body builder on the planet eat big get big cut the fat maintain LBM and u will be bigger in no Time getting big. takes time iv been gaining size for 2 years added 3 st now 13st and 14%body fat when I was 10st I was 7% ripped up just didn't work need if u can eat clean will happen fast but I'm bad at diet and u cant out train a bad diet

not trying to lose weight, trying to lose fat
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    so, doing some research, I found the answer I was looking for, but that doesn't help me with setting my weight goals accordingly

If you are recomping - your weight basically stays the same and you eat to maintenance.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This ^

What is the issue? If you want to maintain at your current weight eat at a calorie level that achieves that over time (weeks not days!).
    Some experimentation may be required as all estimates are averages and your logging accuracy will have an impact.

BTW - How come your profile says "3lbs lost, 20lbs to go"?

because technically I need to lose 20 lbs of fat

Honestly, if you have 20lb of excess fat you want to lose, I would cut - then recomp, or do a lean bulk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What point are you trying to make. Posting random links with no context is well...random.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's possible to do both but very complicated (nutrition/meal timing etc) and not as efficient as bulk/cut cycles.

The fact that you're asking how to do it on a forum suggests you might not be up to the task (that's not a criticism, I know I couldn't do it). It would need tonnes of research, work and dedication and/or cost money for a coach.

If you're going ahead, you'd just set MFP to maintain and crack on with your training and nutrition programme.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Okay, it's possible to do both but very complicated (nutrition/meal timing etc) and not as efficient as bulk/cut cycles.

The fact that you're asking how to do it on a forum suggests you might not be up to the task (that's not a criticism, I know I couldn't do it). It would need tonnes of research, work and dedication and/or cost money for a coach.

If you're going ahead, you'd just set MFP to maintain and crack on with your training and nutrition programme.

It's honestly not that complicated. Get enough protein and get on a good routine. The only real difference between that and a bulk is that you eat at maintenance and not at a surplus.

You do not have to so anything special re meal time etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

It's honestly not that complicated. Get enough protein and get on a good routine. The only real difference between that and a bulk is that you eat at maintenance and not at a surplus.

That's good to know Sara, as I'm going to take another crack at it myself next year. I tried it for around 3/4 months a couple of years back and didn't see any progress (hence the bulk/cut/bulk).

Programmes/sites I've looked at in the past looked overly complicated to me (and I put my own lack of discernible progress, at the time, down to not following them) but I could certainly be looking at the wrong ones. I have 4-6 weeks left of my bulk then god knows how long cutting before I decide so plenty of time for more research.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

That's good to know Sara, as I'm going to take another crack at it myself next year. I tried it for around 3/4 months a couple of years back and didn't see any progress (hence the bulk/cut/bulk).

Programmes/sites I've looked at in the past looked overly complicated to me (and I put my own lack of discernible progress, at the time, down to not following them) but I could certainly be looking at the wrong ones. I have 4-6 weeks left of my bulk then god knows how long cutting before I decide so plenty of time for more research.

Its not quick...that is one disadvantage.

IMO, it really depends on the preferences. In a way, bulking and cutting is more complicated as you have water/food weight swings that make working out trends hard and then you have the challenges when cutting of being hungry(er), possible gym performance issues, making sure you are on point to minimize and muscle loss, upping protein comparatively. The bulk part is pretty easy though lol. Recomp is relatively easy - eat at maintenance and lift some stuff - although, as I (and you) mentioned, it can be very slow going.