She just doesnt get it!

Options
Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
mom- Pasta with broccoli
me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
mom- have a little
me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
me- ::click::

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
(rant over)

Replies

• anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I heart Italian food.

I have a friend with an italian mother...we're not allowed in the house without food being put in front of us! I get it...and it's just how they show they love us. Maybe eat a big salad before hand...and then have a little portion? I don't know. Mom's are hard to upset... :(
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Id rather have none than just a taste. To me a little is more of a tease. Even still, Im trying to lose a lot of weight and every calorie I cut has got to count, and the little Im going to have will do more harm than good for me I think.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Move out. Cook your own food. Problem solved.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So...you buy your own groceries and make/cook your own meals and that's that.
    I don't eat the same meals as my family because I come from a Russian household. We cook everything in oil and it's all junk. So, I take the liberty of buying all of my own things, cooking for myself and make sure that my meals are healthy.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.

Woe is me. Welcome to being an adult.

And if you're not in a position to move out, buy your own groceries and cook your own meals.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian (first generation) and also a vegetarian. I've always eaten my own food (still do as a married woman with two children who are meat eaters). My dad never really got it (always offered me fried veal - hello?) so I just ignored it and did my own thing. If you don't have the will power to eat a little, don't eat and eat your own food. Your mom will understand. She won't be upset for long and she'll get there.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- Pasta with broccoli
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Not exactly. What if you can't afford to move out?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    cook your own meals...and do something nice for your mother. jeesh. talk about ungrateful.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options

mom- Pasta with broccoli
    mom- have a little

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

WOW...I don't think you were patronizing enough in that post. please try again.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

...move somewhere cheaper to live.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Um it's pasta.. It won't kill you.

Plus there are no "clean" and "dirty" foods.. food is food.

As long as you are under calories, you will lose... end of story.

ETA:I see that you want a girl to ask you out and that you want to be in a relationship. What the hell are you going to do if the girl you decide to date says no to you? Whine and cry until you get what you want? Grow up
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Perhaps instead of spending time griping about his mother on a fitness website in hopes of receiving some coddling, he could use that time to grow a set of ***** and make a plan to save up to move out. You know, like grown ups do.

In the mean time, have a little pasta, load up on that broccoli and supplement with some food you cook yourself. It's easy if you stop making excuses and just choose to do it.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok....not moving out due to economy etc I can't really fault

However, if you don't like what is being cooked FOR YOU, buy your own stuff and cook yourself

Simple
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wow guy... first, your mother cooked for you, you either say thank you and eat it, or you say thank you and don't eat it. you don't like it, you get something else or go hungry. this will also come in handy when you are married... if

and i live in brooklyn. yeah, its expensive. but this is also america. go out and make more money.

and there is nothing wrong with pasta and brocolli.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Your mom told you what she was cooking and you said "ugh"?

The one time my husband said "ugh" to a menu, he found out what it was like to cook his own meal that night.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    How about I move in with your mom and you come out here and try to figure out what to feed two toddlers that is semi-nutritious and they'll eat?
  • mrs_gettingfit
    Options
    I definitely could NOT just have a little. I LOVE pasta and would have to eat a GOOD portion to make me happy (sad, I know.) Try to be easy on your mom, she's doing what SHE thinks is good for everyone. Have you had a heart to heart with her? Hispanic families are the same way in the sense that you really should eat something of what was cooked or it's kind of disrespectful (not hispanic but married into one/grew up with hispanics.) So, I get that....but have you REALLY talked to her about what your mission is and the definition of clean eating? Maybe she can make a regular kind for your dad and a modified version for you and maybe even her?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's your mom's house - she can cook whatever she wants and doesn't have to cater to your diet.

You look old enough to know how to prepare your own food.
This discussion has been closed.