She just doesnt get it!

Options

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    im from a big italian family, my ma could only really cook one thing: many differnt variations of the same pasta dish lol so i hear what you're saying. maybe have a big salad before what you and everyone else eats for dinner. I'm a mom and can see why yours gets upset her family wont eat what she thinks is good food. best of luck to you. if your dad is unhealthy maybe you can get mom on yourside or help her - give her a hand with a few dinners a week im sure that would be welcome. :) strike a balance and eat an amazing breakfast and lunch so you can afford a little grease at dinner. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Um it's pasta.. It won't kill you.

Plus there are no "clean" and "dirty" foods.. food is food.

As long as you are under calories, you will lose... end of story.

ETA:I see that you want a girl to ask you out and that you want to be in a relationship. What the hell are you going to do if the girl you decide to date says no to you? Whine and cry until you get what you want? Grow up

Ummm wrong...clean foods ='s unprocessed, no boxed foods, foods with no additives is clean foods. It's not about the diet part of this lifestyle change it's about getting rid of those pesky additives in your food. Yes you will lose if you eat less but to be the best you can be get rid of the stuff that's bad for you.
    Oh and what is so wrong about saying his mom just doesn't understand what he's trying to accomplish with her life. He probable loves his mother very much but when mom cooks she doesn't take his needs into consideration, so he's a bit peeved. He'll get over it or he'll start buying and cooking his own foods, really that is all the needed to be said, anything else is other people being in a bad mood and being grouchy or just wanting to start an argument.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    So...you buy your own groceries and make/cook your own meals and that's that.

Btw- I can't believe you hung up on your mom because she didn't cook something you wanted for dinner. How rude.

You are doing this for you. You cannot force your whole family to change just because you want to. Tell your mom you love her, but what she is making is too high in calories, so you are going to cook your own food. Or eat a small portion with your other food that you have made, as not to hurt her feelings. Or work out more and eat what you want. There are plenty of solutions here that wouldn't hurt your mom's feelings.

Most people won't get it. That doesn't give you the right to be mean to your mother (or anyone else) about it. Remember this is all about Your health and Your goals. If people don't get it, oh well, just keep doing what you are doing and let it go, don't be a jerk about it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Typical entitled Long Island young adult. You make the rest of us look bad, because this is exactly the reputation we have.

Eat the God damn pasta. What the hell is the matter with it? A serving of pasta is PLENTY of food. If it bothers you SO MUCH how about you buy your own? This way, you get to eat exactly what you want, and your mother doesn't have to put up with your entitled little **** attitude.

You're living in a house where your dinner is cooked for you, presumably rent free, and you have the nerve to be upset because the free food someone else is cooking for you isn't exactly what you desire? You're going to have a lovely time in the real world if that's your attitude to not getting what you want.

What you should do is apologize to your poor mother, and tell her how much you love and appreciate all she does for you, because one day she will not be here to coddle and take care of you, which means you will be alone and have to do everything for yourself. Including paying that "$1300" in rent (that's pretty damn cheap, by the way) that appears to be so repulsive to you.

Jesus, you act like you're 12.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

If I have a bad week and end up baking three different desserts on the weekend, say cookies, cupcakes, and cinnamon rolls, my bf will eat them, but swear at me the entire time for "making him fat."

I can dig it. I have my "Weakness" foods that I just cannot eat a few. I have told my sister-in-law to only offer me small amounts and to hide the rest. She doesn't have to work hard since I don't really know what/how she arranges her kitchen and fridge but its not really hard to get portion control.

These are the same people that sue fast food companies for making them fat btw...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You know, the more I ponder your entitled attitude and disrespectful behavior toward your mother who has housed, clothed and fed you for apparently far too long, I hope you GAIN weight instead of losing it.

talk about disrespectful, sheeesh she's a bit upset give her a break
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This dude is a troll, right?
  • LouisianaHott
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
    me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
    mom- Pasta with broccoli
    me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
    mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
    me- ::click::

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

All I can say #1 if I talked to my mom that way she would have beat the ****z out of me. #2 you are living under her roof and she is being kind enough to cook for you so RESPECTFULLY decline or eat what she makes #3 I spend more than $1300 on a house note per month and I know that is high. While living under there roof cook your own meals to fit your needs.

you might be a nice person but from what I read of your rant I think you are a *kitten*. I guess since I lost my mom 2 years ago and I miss and appreciated all she did for me. Seeing/reading you rant makes me want to f-ing slap sense into your spoiled whiney *kitten*
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    cook your own meals...and do something nice for your mother. jeesh. talk about ungrateful.

This!
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What's amazing to me is that Italy didn't really have an obesity problem until many Italians became 'Americanised' and started eating more and more fast food and American-style ready meals. Now Italy has the highest childhood obesity rate in Europe. If I were you I would eat what your mum cooked because it's actually HEALTHY!! I would also apologise over and over again for being so ungrateful and whiny. Then read some scientific literature regarding the importance of carbohydrates to the human body and the difference between complex carbs and simple carbs, and stop acting like an uneducated Dr. Oz fan who thinks carbs are BAD. Stop acting like a child. Start acting like an adult.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

There is nothing wrong with pasta and broccoli. Eat your mom's food and thank your mom every day for looking after you for all these years, you ungrateful little so and so.

Oh, hang on, that wasn't necessarily 'motivation and support'. Are you seriously suggesting your mom should cook you things that suit you? Are you twelve or something? You either eat what she cooks, or you cook for yourself and give her good warning that you're doing so. Or you move out.

But seriously; pasta and broccoli. I'm not Italian, but we eat food like that all the time. It's pretty much as clean as food gets. It's not the pasta and broccoli that's the problem here. Ask your mom what's in it, log the calories, fit it into your macros, move on. You can, absolutely, balance your days' meals around whatever your mom cooks you for dinner.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    This dude is a troll, right?

^Right? Though it has reminded me to call my Mom! :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what is so bad about pasta, a bit of olive (I assume) oil and lots of broccoli.

Me too. Sounds like a great meal to me.

Op- food isn't "not clean" unless you drop it in the dirt. Learn how to say no thank you politely.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First off /agree with all the comments about you being rude.

Secondly, if you are living there for absolute free you are being completely ungrateful. I live at home but still pay about $200/month, not because my mom demands it but because I know I used the water, the heat and the electricity. And before you say "I don't make enough" I don't want to hear it because I'm unemployed an living off student loans.

Thirdly, bring a scale. Measure out 4 oz. cooked pasta (it doubles in weight approximately when you cook it.) If you let it drain a bit, you shouldn't have more than half a tablespoon of olive oil on the pasta WHICH IS GOOD FAT.

Ok so now fill the rest of your plate with broccoli. Or if you need to have protein, bake some chicken. I just made 8 breasts today. I cut them into 4 oz portions and I plan on freezing them. Then I can thaw them when ever I need some meat. Now you have a little starch (200 cals), a little protein (120 cals); some good fat (60 cals); and your veg (100 cal). Practically a 500 calorie meal of awesome.

edit: Oh and say: "Thanks Mom, I appreciate the fact that you made me dinner. I love you."
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
    me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
    mom- Pasta with broccoli
    me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
    mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
    me- ::click::

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

WOW...I don't think you were patronizing enough in that post. please try again.

I thought it was a great post. And OP just say thanks but no thanks and be polite
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A little pasta isn't going to hurt you. I promise. I agree with your mom. Have a little and have something else with it. Olive oil is very good for you. And good for weight loss.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You don't have to explain it to her...just cook for yourself :)
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I hope you are getting the common denominator to all these responses!
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Just realized the OP is male (won't say "man").

Who raised you boy?
    Why didn't your daddy give you enough of an a$$kicking early in life to teach you respect for your mother?
    This!!!! When I met my husband and we decided to date I made sure to meet his mom before I truly commited.....why??? Because I wanted to see how he treated her. He was respectful, kind and funny with her. If I had seen him treat her the way you described treating your mom I would've been long, long gone. Shame on you.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pasta for dinner gives me energy for the gym in the evening. Love me some pasta. Just not A LOT of pasta, lol
This discussion has been closed.