She just doesnt get it!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    If you're living at home at the age of 31 and having your Mom cook meals for you, then you really don't have any room to complain about either of your parents.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Il cocco di mamma... Ma i broccoli non te li potevi mangiare? Io mangio pure la pasta 3 volte a settimana peró porzioni piccole tipo 50-60 grammi, con formaggino e un cucchiaio di olio.. é poco per mi accontento oppure ti mangi un bel piatto a pranzo e poi un insalatina la sera. Io ho 23 anni sono mamma di una piccola e ogni giorno devo cucinare per lei, per lui e per me, penso che se parli con tua madre e le dici che non vuoi che lei ti cucina per te le fai anche un favore..... ciá
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's your mom's house - she can cook whatever she wants and doesn't have to cater to your diet.

You look old enough to know how to prepare your own food.

QFT!!
  • Mermerm
    Mermerm Posts: 5
    Options
    lol!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    your options, as I see it (without having read the 6 pages ahead of me). Obviously you won't LIKE some of these, but unless you have a magic wand handy, here's what you can do:

1- move out
    2- buy and cook your own food
    3- DO eat the broccoli and/or the smaller portion of pasta
    4- ask your mom if you can help her plan meals and/or shop for food, maybe by helping she might "get it" more
    5- you look like big semi-athletic guy, EAT the carbs, and go lift after
    6- ask her (nicely) to weigh/measure/ pre-plan your portion (small) of carby goodness and buy/make/add your own larger main
    7- get married and edumakate your hopefully rich wife
    8-bump her off and get a new mom
    9-get arrested for attempting to bump her off and go into the lovely prison system where all your meals will be pre-planned and you will have lots of time to go to the gym.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Move out. Cook your own food. Problem solved.

^ This!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I thought you were a 20 year old girl!!!

34rirzn.gif

2vljo0j.gif
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Il cocco di mamma... Ma i broccoli non te li potevi mangiare? Io mangio pure la pasta 3 volte a settimana peró porzioni piccole tipo 50-60 grammi, con formaggino e un cucchiaio di olio.. é poco per mi accontento oppure ti mangi un bel piatto a pranzo e poi un insalatina la sera. Io ho 23 anni sono mamma di una piccola e ogni giorno devo cucinare per lei, per lui e per me, penso che se parli con tua madre e le dici che non vuoi che lei ti cucina per te le fai anche un favore..... ciá

Woah wish I understood Italian sounds vicious something about cheese. Goes to show dont be saying nothing bout nobodies Mama not even your own or the wrath will fall.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My mom has never understood what "healthy" food is and it made it hard to eat at home, even after I'd moved out. When I went vegetarian, she thought at first I was going to die, but then started working to make options available to me, even if they weren't healthy, I could tell she was doing it because she cared. Your mom probably cares about you; feeding your baby is an instinct! And since my mom died two years ago, I'd give almost anything to have her cooking. Be thankful and just make the best choices you can.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Ok....not moving out due to economy etc I can't really fault

However, if you don't like what is being cooked FOR YOU, buy your own stuff and cook yourself

Simple

Or even offer to cook dinner together and cook with ingredients you want in the dinner. I don't know you, but if you're going to simply ask your mom "hey what's for dinner" and then get upset because it's not what YOU wanted then that does make you come off as immature and ungrateful.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Offer cooking for the family each night, and just make it how they like as well. And, it is really okay to eat small portions of pasta; it won't hurt you. You can even measure it. If you really can eat clean for the rest of your life then continue doing it, but only if you can do it for the rest of your life. If you can't then incorporate processed food into your diet, but only in small portions. You will drive yourself crazy not ever eating pizza, cookies, ice cream, chicken parm, etc. If you decide to not eat clean again one day after not eating clean for a long time, you can easily gain back the weight so that is why it is better to incorporate it into your diet. Those are just my thoughts.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yes, cook your own food.

As for living with mom & dad at age 31, good thing many of you don't live here in South Korea. The rents are low (outside of Seoul) but the key money (deposit) is high - about $20,000 key money on a 1 bedroom apartment if you're in a small-medium sized city.

But most apartments are on the Jeonse system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeonse

You may be MARRIED and living with your parents for several years to save up the money for a basic apartment.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.

Oh I'm from an Italian family so I feel your pain, and I still live with my parents so I get that too...It's SO not easy. Have you tried cooking with her? My mom's not bigger, but she's definitely one to cook anything and everything, but after I've tried to talk to her about my goals and such things have gotten better. The more I cook with her or go shopping with her the better.

But yeah, I feel your pain. Ill tell my mom I'm at the gym and she'll say "ok, well come home I've got pasta or burgers and fries on" and I just wanna scream. People you love will try to sabotage you without actually being conscious of it. You just have to either work with them (and trust me it's so NOT easy to get an Italian to cook a different way than her family recipe) but sometimes it works...or find healthful alternatives. Will she bake you some chicken to go with the broccoli, and the rest of the fam can have the pasta and broccoli? or...just cook your own. I've found when I started and everyone else was eating something awful for me, if I went and made a salad or baked chicken or something like that everyone just kinda looks and feels guilty.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.