Kicked out of gym for doing renegage rows????

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    So when you join a PF they never mention the 'lunk alarm' or what makes it go off? And then everyone is just shocked and embarrassed when they violate a rule that they had no idea even existed? I'm pretty surprised they're still in business.

When I hear things like deadlifts will make the alarm go off the party causing it should b proud, not embarrassed.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of any of this because there are no planet fitness gyms in my area but I found an article from Men's Health magazine talking about how a pf took out its only squat rack because someone complained it was intimidating.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Was he grunting or screaming? Slamming the weights hard on the floor? Everyone knows what the policy is at PF.
    If you can't abide by it go to a grunt/slam/screaming friendly gym and pay your 100 dollars a month with a 5 year contract or w/e. I love PF. It pretty much saved my life fo 10 bucks a month no contract.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Was he grunting or screaming? Slamming the weights hard on the floor? Everyone knows what the policy is at PF.
    If you can't abide by it go to a grunt/slam/screaming friendly gym and pay your 100 dollars a month with a 5 year contract or w/e. I love PF. It pretty much saved my life fo 10 bucks a month no contract.

I pay $5 more than you for a real gym. Just sayin'.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were just jealous
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    I always find it so funny how some people are all "eat all teh pizza...make it fit in" until it's a PF thread, and then it's, "ahaha gym that's supposed to be for being healthy actually offers pizza, what a joke they're the worst pizza is so bad"

she makes a fair point
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with this guy many times before. While he might occasionally grunt at the end of a hard set (a perfectly reasonable response when one is working hard), he's not the type to go screaming about.

As for slamming the weights down, I would challenge you to try doing that while doing renegade rows. It would be extremely difficult to slam them to the floor from that position.

This is what boggles my mind about many PF defenders. They just can't grasp how extreme PF's own policies can be, despite all the overwhelming evidence. Heck, as shown in the video below, their own representative said that even exhaling loudly is prohibited.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
    Newsflash: Most gyms do not consider screaming or slamming weights to be acceptable behavior. This is another one of those bogeymen that Planet Fitness likes to toss around. The result? PF lovers actually believe that this is commonplace behavior at such gyms, when in reality, it is rare and considered a mark of poor gym etiquette.

Many also think that you have to spend a fortune if you don't go to PF. In some locations, that might be true. Typically though, you might have to go to a gym that costs more (Anytime Fitness, for example), but seldom would have to pay anywhere close to $100/month.

As for the whole "it saved my life schtick," good for you. Few people here would deny that you can lose weight or otherwise make progress at Planet Fitness. This doesn't mean that their policies are sensible or any less derogatory, though. Unfortunately, many people don't care as long as they're not one of the groups (bodybuilders, so-called "hot" women, other physically fit people) that comes under the PF umbrella of ridicule and slander.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I've worked out with this guy many times before. While he might occasionally grunt at the end of a hard set (a perfectly reasonable response when one is working hard), he's not the type to go screaming about.

As for slamming the weights down, I would challenge you to try doing that while doing renegade rows. It would be extremely difficult to slam them to the floor from that position.

This is what boggles my mind about many PF defenders. They just can't grasp how extreme PF's own policies can be, despite all the overwhelming evidence. Heck, as shown in the video below, their own representative said that even exhaling loudly is prohibited.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
    Newsflash: Most gyms do not consider screaming or slamming weights to be acceptable behavior. This is another one of those bogeymen that Planet Fitness likes to toss around. The result? PF lovers actually believe that this is commonplace behavior at such gyms, when in reality, it is rare and considered a mark of poor gym etiquette.

Many also think that you have to spend a fortune if you don't go to PF. In some locations, that might be true. Typically though, you might have to go to a gym that costs more (Anytime Fitness, for example), but seldom would have to pay anywhere close to $100/month.

As for the whole "it saved my life schtick," good for you. Few people here would deny that you can lose weight or otherwise make progress at Planet Fitness. This doesn't mean that their policies are sensible or any less derogatory, though. Unfortunately, many people don't care as long as they're not one of the groups (bodybuilders, so-called "hot" women, other physically fit people) that comes under the PF umbrella of ridicule and slander.

The gym I go to now is across the street from pf. The basic membership there is also $10 pm.

The "platinum" membership, which includes classes, tanning, yoga classes, and free bottled water every day, is $45 pm, for me AND my wife.
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The basic membership at my gym is $25 and includes working with a certified trainer. She has been great in helping me get started lifting (I just started in January after a year of almost exclusive cardio and not getting anywhere).

As for the "lunkheads" at my gym; I like them! They are some of the nicest, most supportive and helpful people. Unlike the catty girls that hog the elipticals. You call them 'cardio bunnies,' I have another name for them. I've only come across one guy that made an excessive amount of noise. It was on a Sunday, and the place was pretty quiet. I asked him if he had that kid yet and he shut up. One of the other guys laughed. LOL
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Soooo stupid. If this IS PF we're talkin about, I go there....unfortunately. My local recs equipment was so bad, it was barely usable, and that's if little kids weren't crowding all around there, so the next closest and affordable thing was the 10 bucks a month at PF. I HATE going here. It's such a counterproductive environment to me. Not to mention how annoying it is having to make these alternatives to my regimen because they don't have the weight or equipment for the big compound exercises or a *kitten* barbell bench. Judgement free, unless you take weight training serious.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The basic membership at my gym is $25 and includes working with a certified trainer. She has been great in helping me get started lifting (I just started in January after a year of almost exclusive cardio and not getting anywhere).

As for the "lunkheads" at my gym; I like them! They are some of the nicest, most supportive and helpful people. Unlike the catty girls that hog the elipticals. You call them 'cardio bunnies,' I have another name for them. I've only come across one guy that made an excessive amount of noise. It was on a Sunday, and the place was pretty quiet. I asked him if he had that kid yet and he shut up. One of the other guys laughed. LOL

That's why I'm glad I workout at home. I get noisy sometimes on the last couple reps. My house I can be loud if I want to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Maybe he was blocking the path to the free pizza?

Omg I legit lol'd :D
  • pinkninjaattack
    pinkninjaattack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    LOL.

I was never kicked out, but I was told to stop doing the following exercises at different times at planet fitness:
    Jump rope
    Handstand pushups on the back corner wall
    Treadmill sprints
    Deadlifts with the bar

A couple of the people were apologetic, but the lady who told me to stop jumping rope spoke to me like I was skinning live kittens. I finally quit because *kitten* them.
  • pinkninjaattack
    pinkninjaattack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oops didn't mean to quote.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I call *kitten*. I belong to a PF as my backup gym and while I don't lift there, I can't imagine getting kicked out for that particular exercise.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    :) If I ever go to the states, I hope to go into a PF just to get the lunk alarm to go off for being too hardcore for that entire gym. Wouldnt take much, but damn that would be a proud NSV.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I call *kitten*. I belong to a PF as my backup gym and while I don't lift there, I can't imagine getting kicked out for that particular exercise.
    As mentioned more than once in this thread, different PF locations will tend to enforce the "no intimidation" rule with different degrees of passion and stridency.

Besides, if you can be kicked out for breathing hard (which is prohibited, according to the video linked to in this thread), then it's no stretch to suggest that one can get kicked out for doing renegade rows. Heck, we already know that deadlifting is prohibited because it makes some people feel bad about themselves. I can easily imagine people deciding that renegade rows should be prohibited as well.

Heck, someone was kicked out of a Planet Fitness because he wore a shirt that said "Pray to End Abortion." If such an innocuous statement can be considered so intimidating that it merits ejecting someone from the premises, then it's no stretch at all to suggest that a difficult exercise would merit the same treatment.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    LOL.

I was never kicked out, but I was told to stop doing the following exercises at different times at planet fitness:
    Jump rope
    Handstand pushups on the back corner wall
    Treadmill sprints
    Deadlifts with the bar

A couple of the people were apologetic, but the lady who told me to stop jumping rope spoke to me like I was skinning live kittens. I finally quit because *kitten* them.
    Such harmless, unthreatening exercises... And yet some people here insist that Planet Fitness would never object to anyone doing renegade rows. Hmmm....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As mentioned more than once in this thread, different PF locations will tend to enforce the "no intimidation" rule with different degrees of passion and stridency.

Besides, if you can be kicked out for breathing hard (which is prohibited, according to the video linked to in this thread), then it's no stretch to suggest that one can get kicked out for doing renegade rows. Heck, we already know that deadlifting is prohibited because it makes some people feel bad about themselves. I can easily imagine people deciding that renegade rows should be prohibited as well.

Heck, someone was kicked out of a Planet Fitness because he wore a shirt that said "Pray to End Abortion." If such an innocuous statement can be considered so intimidating that it merits ejecting someone from the premises, then it's no stretch at all to suggest that a difficult exercise would merit the same treatment.

religion AND abortion together can be part of an innocuous statement?