Kicked out of gym for doing renegage rows????

Options
1234568»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    LOL.

I was never kicked out, but I was told to stop doing the following exercises at different times at planet fitness:
    Jump rope
    Handstand pushups on the back corner wall
    Treadmill sprints
    Deadlifts with the bar

A couple of the people were apologetic, but the lady who told me to stop jumping rope spoke to me like I was skinning live kittens. I finally quit because *kitten* them.

Well it isn't a CrossFit box….
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I call *kitten*. I belong to a PF as my backup gym and while I don't lift there, I can't imagine getting kicked out for that particular exercise.
    As mentioned more than once in this thread, different PF locations will tend to enforce the "no intimidation" rule with different degrees of passion and stridency.

Besides, if you can be kicked out for breathing hard (which is prohibited, according to the video linked to in this thread), then it's no stretch to suggest that one can get kicked out for doing renegade rows. Heck, we already know that deadlifting is prohibited because it makes some people feel bad about themselves. I can easily imagine people deciding that renegade rows should be prohibited as well.

Heck, someone was kicked out of a Planet Fitness because he wore a shirt that said "Pray to End Abortion." If such an innocuous statement can be considered so intimidating that it merits ejecting someone from the premises, then it's no stretch at all to suggest that a difficult exercise would merit the same treatment.

religion AND abortion together can be part of an innocuous statement?

I am atheist and pro-abortion (just for context) and it would never cross my mind that that statement is not innocuous. It does not call for any action other than prayer, it does not contain hate speech elements. It's their opinion, their religion, and their T-shirt. I would much rather they can wear their opinion proudly and I can wear mine and we prove the merit of our positions in the appropriate venues and ways.

However this Fitness Gestapo establishment is private and in their right to set rules and boundaries, be they ever so ridiculous. It is more concerning not that they do it, but that apparently it pays to do it since they're still in business, and that when the pendulum of public opinion swings too far in the effort to avoid one type of intimidation/repression, that usually takes it into the territory of another type of oppression.

• rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    The basic membership at my gym is $25 and includes working with a certified trainer. She has been great in helping me get started lifting (I just started in January after a year of almost exclusive cardio and not getting anywhere).

As for the "lunkheads" at my gym; I like them! They are some of the nicest, most supportive and helpful people. Unlike the catty girls that hog the elipticals. You call them 'cardio bunnies,' I have another name for them. I've only come across one guy that made an excessive amount of noise. It was on a Sunday, and the place was pretty quiet. I asked him if he had that kid yet and he shut up. One of the other guys laughed. LOL

That's why I'm glad I workout at home. I get noisy sometimes on the last couple reps. My house I can be loud if I want to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This wasn't just a little bit of grunting on the last couple of reps! He was also slamming all of the weights down; I pretty sure it was just for attention.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    He was doing something else. I go to Planet Fitness and I do them all the time nobody ever looks twice at what I am doing. I do take the dumb bells to the floor section designated for pushups etc adn not in the main weight area.
    As others have already said, some PF locations are more laid back than others. You're simply fortunate in that your particular PF facility is more reasonable.
    By the way your buddy did not get thrown out because he did that excercise. He got thrown out for being a jack hole. Nobody is ever thrown out for doing any excercise in any gym. The gym employee comes over and tells you to stop doing it. If you stop you get to stay if you don't then you need to go because you are a jack hole not because of the excercise.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Here's proof:

http://physicalculturist.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/warning-no-deadlift-gym-rules.jpgdw4y2ui13qwc.jpg

Wait a minute. There was a sign that said don't do it or you get thrown out on first offence and he does it anyway and it surprised him that he got thrown out. I am wrong he didn't get thrown out because he was as jack hole, he got thrown iut because he never learned to read.

Dude, he was just using this picture to illustrate just how wrong you were about " no one ever gets kicked out of ANY gym first time" besides, you have no idea what happened.

Im sorry. I tried to blame it on the poor public education system. Now I'm back to he got kicked out because he was a jackhole.

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    The basic membership at my gym is $25 and includes working with a certified trainer. She has been great in helping me get started lifting (I just started in January after a year of almost exclusive cardio and not getting anywhere).

As for the "lunkheads" at my gym; I like them! They are some of the nicest, most supportive and helpful people. Unlike the catty girls that hog the elipticals. You call them 'cardio bunnies,' I have another name for them. I've only come across one guy that made an excessive amount of noise. It was on a Sunday, and the place was pretty quiet. I asked him if he had that kid yet and he shut up. One of the other guys laughed. LOL

That's why I'm glad I workout at home. I get noisy sometimes on the last couple reps. My house I can be loud if I want to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This wasn't just a little bit of grunting on the last couple of reps! He was also slamming all of the weights down; I pretty sure it was just for attention.

How do you slam weights down doing renegade rows?

For the short time I used Planet Fitness, I did them a few times as part of a circuit that included squat thrusts with dumbbells, push-ups, and renegade rows. I never had anyone say anything to me, and I doubt I could have made any noise if I would have wanted to. They don't have enough weight on their dumbbells or barbells to make one have to grunt or slam anything.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've seen offensive at the gym and that isn't it! Are you sure it wasn't a liability thing as maybe he was doing it wrong and he could have injured himself and they asked him to stop? Because if he would've got injured in their gym after he was asked to stop they could have been held liable.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If it's a question of liability, then the correct response is to instruct the offender on how to do the exercise properly. Kicking them out is absolutely NOT the proper response.

Some of you folks are clearly trying WAY too hard to defend PF on this issue. Heck, we see that after his objections were shot down, cliffodom1 is now back to saying "He got kicked out because he was a jackhole." No, it can't possibly be because PF was being completely unreasonable in its "no intimidating exercises allowed policy," despite video and photographic evidence (not to mention numerous accounts in this thread!) of how extreme their policy is, In the eyes of some PF lovers, that can't possibly be true, so this fella MUST have been behaving like a "jackhole."

I repeat: We have a video that shows, using testimony from PF's own representative, that even a bit of loud breathing can be enough to set off their alarm. We have a news account wherein somebody was kicked out for something as intimidating as wearing a pro-life shirt. We have a photo which says that any sort of deadlifting -- no matter what the weight -- can be enough to get someone's membership terminated on the very first offense. We have an account from someone who says that she was disciplined for such harmless activities as jumping rope and doing barbell rows.

In light of this, is it really so hard to believe that a PF franchise would punish someone for doing renegade rows as well? I have absolutely no trouble believing such a thing.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Re: liability, this blog post does a pretty good job of explaining the liability waivers in the average US gym contract. A person doing exercises on their own with equipment that is not known by the gym to be faulty is not going to in a case against the gym. The gym doesn't even have to explain how to properly do the exercise--the client has assumed all of the risk in that situation.
  • jazzy550
    Options
    I feel like there is more to the story than what is being revealed.

I do too. And as for the liability issue… If there isn't anyone qualified in the gym as a trainer, as the trainers aren't always present, and the only personal there are front desk, and janitorial they aren't going to correct your form on the equipment. They'll just ask you to stop using it if they see fit.

• jazzy550
    Options
    Spartan... From what you described the reason that planet fitness has such a low membership cost could be because their liability insurance could be lower then other gyms thereby they have to monitor closely how people use equipment. I don't know about other things such as pro-life shirts and heavy breathing but maybe other gyms have experienced members suing them for being offended over such things. I can believe it because people will sue a corporation over anything…
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »
    I feel like there is more to the story than what is being revealed.

I do too. And as for the liability issue… If there isn't anyone qualified in the gym as a trainer, as the trainers aren't always present, and the only personal there are front desk, and janitorial they aren't going to correct your form on the equipment. They'll just ask you to stop using it if they see fit.

A trainer isn't going to walk by and correct some random's form either. Well, they might, as an opportunity to sell training. But helping randoms isn't part of their job description.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Wow. What kind of gym is this Planet Fitness? Obviously not a good one.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    How in the WORLD is this exercise dangerous, offensive, or anything else??? It looks entirely reasonable to me.
  • frendy21
    frendy21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Only in PF
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Well from the viedo above, apparently they do tell you up front they're not a gym :D