Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options
This is going to sound really lame, but my friend asked me what I eat for breakfast, and I said I sometimes have eggs, but I mostly have a protein shake for breakfast, with upto 25g of protein. He started lecturing me on how those can make me fat, and (I recently put on a lot of weight because of a lot of fast food) that is why I've gotten fat. Then he says it's not wise to have protein shakes on a day when I'm not lifting. I told him how you're supposed to eat 1g per pound of lean body mass but he didn't get the point.
Then he said if I want to lose weight I should not be eating eggs because eggs make you fat! I told him eggs don't make us fat, it's the excess calories that make us fat, to which he retorts, protein right after a workout can cause muscles to form. At this point I just lost it.

Here's a sample day of my diet:

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)
Lunch: Black bean salad (3/4 cup black beans, tomato, onion, 1tbsp guac ... approximately 250 calories)
Dinner: similar to lunch, or salad with an egg.
For a snack I usually have string cheese (50-80 calories, 6 g protein, 1-2 a day).

I have not started lifting yet, but I workout for an hour each day and I walk for 20 minutes. My protein intake for a day is 60-70 g of protein, and my lean body mass is 125 pounds. (I'm overweight at 180 pounds).
Am I really doing something wrong?

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    your friend is wrong. excess calories makes you fat, not protein.

if that's really what you're eating every day, that's only around 960 calories at most. that's not enough food.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, just ignore him, and definitely eat more food.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer to this question, so I'm not sure why you're asking.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    All of the above^
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Tell Him to go on MFP and read the stickies.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your friend shouldn't be hating on eggs, but there are good reasons to stay away from protein shakes. When you drink your calories, you may be hungry sooner and end up eating more.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I actually eat 1200 calories a day, the lunch and dinner is typically about 400 calories. Is my protein intake too high?
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Your friend shouldn't be hating on eggs, but there are good reasons to stay away from protein shakes. When you drink your calories, you may be hungry sooner and end up eating more.
    Actually the protein shake keeps me very full. I make it at home and I don't feel hungry until lunchtime.
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough food.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My apologies, my calorie estimates were off. I typically eat 1200 calories a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a new friend!
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    capriqueen wrote: »

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.
  • ana3067
    Options
    My apologies, my calorie estimates were off. I typically eat 1200 calories a day.

At your weight that's still not enough. especially if you aren't eating back your exercise calories. I'm guessing you set your goal to 2lb/week? I started out at 188, did my loss at 1lb/week or less and am 160 now or less (haven't weighed in a while). If I'd tried losing 2lbs/week I'd have been miserable.

You will not gain weight by eating x food. CICO. But you need to be eating enough food to make this into a lifestyle AND to actually stay committed to your weight loss efforts.
  • capriqueen
    Options

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

You're right.... but the thing is I don't eat meat, and I can't afford yogurt because I'm a grad student on a budget. Even the protein powder is the cheapest brand I could find (Body Fortress) which I use half serving a day. Any cheaper ideas?
  • ana3067
    Options

Doesn't matter if they have sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar doesn't make people fat or kill them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time worrying about what your friend thinks.

As long as you know what you're doing is correct for you, that's all that matters.

Some people (especially about weight loss) think they're experts because of one thing they read or heard. People don't like being wrong, lol. And they really don't like admitting it.

You know the science is correct. Calories in, calories out.
  • capriqueen
    Options

At your weight that's still not enough. especially if you aren't eating back your exercise calories. I'm guessing you set your goal to 2lb/week? I started out at 188, did my loss at 1lb/week or less and am 160 now or less (haven't weighed in a while). If I'd tried losing 2lbs/week I'd have been miserable.

You will not gain weight by eating x food. CICO. But you need to be eating enough food to make this into a lifestyle AND to actually stay committed to your weight loss efforts.
    Ok... I guess I will up my calories then. I have been targeting 2 pounds a week.... I set my lifestyle to sedentary and it gave me 1960 calories. Should I be eating at around 700 calories maybe?