Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options

Replies

• apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This is MFP dude. As long as there are people saying x food is evil there will be war amongst users.

[/quote]

Ok have fun then.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg
    Maybe this will help?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    capriqueen wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

Just being nit-picky, but have you looked up the chemical composition of a blueberry? MANY words that are hard to pronounce. For a single blueberry.

19cththprtrp4png.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why CHOCOLATE!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Then he said if I want to lose weight I should not be eating eggs because eggs make you fat! I told him eggs don't make us fat, it's the excess calories that make us fat, to which he retorts, protein right after a workout can cause muscles to form. At this point I just lost it.

And the problem is... ?

I put a fair bit of work into causing muscles to form, including a nice protein shake right after my workout. And, FWIW, I'd have to eat about 300 g of Greek yogurt to get the same amount of protein as my shake provides, no way I could gag that down in the morning.

I've heard eggs get a bad rap for high cholesterol for many years but never for making people fat, that's a new one.

OP, you are right. Your friend is misinformed.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

Just being nit-picky, but have you looked up the chemical composition of a blueberry? MANY words that are hard to pronounce. For a single blueberry.

19cththprtrp4png.png

Oh for the love of science, sugar is the 2nd ingredient! Better not eat it. ;)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

LOL so true! This reminds me of the study that showed that 80% of Americans would support mandatory labelling of DNA in food.

There really is no cure for stupid.

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    This is why CHOCOLATE!

Chocolate needs no why. Chocolate is awesome.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

LOL so true! This reminds me of the study that showed that 80% of Americans would support mandatory labelling of DNA in food.

There really is no cure for stupid.

This is why CHOCOLATE!

Chocolate needs no why. Chocolate is awesome.

I saw this thing where people were signing a petition to ban di-hydrogen monoxide (water) because you can over-dose on it and even die, and it's in everything! :wink:
  • ana3067
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Then he said if I want to lose weight I should not be eating eggs because eggs make you fat! I told him eggs don't make us fat, it's the excess calories that make us fat, to which he retorts, protein right after a workout can cause muscles to form. At this point I just lost it.

And the problem is... ?

I put a fair bit of work into causing muscles to form, including a nice protein shake right after my workout. And, FWIW, I'd have to eat about 300 g of Greek yogurt to get the same amount of protein as my shake provides, no way I could gag that down in the morning.

I've heard eggs get a bad rap for high cholesterol for many years but never for making people fat, that's a new one.

OP, you are right. Your friend is misinformed.

I WISH protein right after my workout somehow magically made my muscles form, because I WANT to have more muscle. Stupid being-in-a-deficit thing, I just want to bulk nooooow :( Gah, cutting is a necessary evil.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, if you're cutting calories, you want more protein to preserve the lean mass you already have. You will probably form very little, if any, new muscle. (The formation of new muscle is a big part of why there's a GAINING weight board here.)

Your friend is a moron. To be honest, his nutritional guidance isn't even the most offensive part of what you've relayed to us. If he's trying to shame or police your body, kick him to the curb.

BTW Eggs are pretty much the best food for a dieter (I'll fight anyone who disagrees). They're about 75 calories a piece and are packed with vitamins, fats, and protein. I love them.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I saw this thing where people were signing a petition to ban di-hydrogen monoxide (water) because you can over-dose on it and even die, and it's in everything! :wink:

Yeah I remember that. It started as an April Fool's prank, didn't it? And it spread like crazy, and I believe this was back in the 80s, which proves that stupidity existed even before the internet.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Daaamn. wasn't expecting THAT to happen lol.
    apple173 wrote: »
    OP: Eggs don't make you fat. I don't eat alot of meat but i do eat natural foods and i do have a protein shake a day. I do what is right for me and it's all about learning what can and canmot do in regards to your own health. Good luck.

Everyone else if you stay on track with your posts to whats being asked without getting heated it would be more helpful to anyone new to this lifestyle.

This is MFP dude. As long as there are people saying x food is evil there will be war amongst users.

cause people really really seem to love to argue on here.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Love this part, I can imagine a Monty python sketch or Marx brothers, having a mass brawl over eating eggs, throwing protein powder in his face and cracking eggs over his head (please tell us all you did this to him)

Am I really doing something wrong?
    - Yes, you have an idiot for a friend (if he cannot support you when you trying to make the change then you don't need this friend all that much)

Next time this friend opens his mouth ask him what he is eating, then tell him he needs to stop eating that as it makes him stupid.... B)

• shaleeny88
    Options
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
    NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

You're the one labeling a carb as dirty ... then stating we're "making up" what you said. When one counters your points with science ... it's getting "scientific" which it seems you're against . Now you're saying people should eat natural even if they can't spell what's in those natural foods ... because apparently if you can spell what is in it only matters if it is a food you disagree with.

For those without medical conditions, it is simply calories in vs calories out without regard to food type. For those with medical conditions, it is still calories in vs calories out with a few caveats on the intake. There are some medications that alter how the body functions ... but when those are accounted for weight loss remains a function of calories in vs calories out. It is simple science.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    OP: Eggs don't make you fat. I don't eat alot of meat but i do eat natural foods and i do have a protein shake a day. I do what is right for me and it's all about learning what can and canmot do in regards to your own health. Good luck.

Everyone else if you stay on track with your posts to whats being asked without getting heated it would be more helpful to anyone new to this lifestyle.

lol lol lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter if they have sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar doesn't make people fat or kill them.

Err sugar is a dirty carb, that needs reducing just like any other bad carbs. I didn't say it makes you fat, its definitely not healthy
    Sugar is just a carb. Whether from fruit or a candy bar, the body doesn't distinguish source sugar gets digested from. Body just takes it, breaks it down to it's simplest form and then digests it. The problem with a candy bar vs banana is going to be calories and nutritional density.
    But the sugar in a candy bar isn't "dirty". The candy bar is just overly high in calories for small of a snack it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

lol lol lol

what?
  • ana3067
    Options

Get over it seriously

OP said she is neutral o. Sugar. Weight loss is all about CICO. Which is why not eating calorie dense food worked for you, not because it was low sugar.

So you don't eat e.g. canned tuna, which is basically just tuna and salt and maybe a preservative? Nothing bad about canned tuna. OPs friend is already telling her that x and y food makes people fat, which is 100% wrong. Your posts about dirty crbs and added sugar are basically doing the exact same thing. Since op made no mention of having trouble with carba and sugar specifically there was no reason to bring your view into it. I haven't told op that she can eat candy all day and lose weight, I'm not telling her to follow an iifym lifestyles. But I am confirming with her original thought that its all about calories, not a specific foods. She can eat how she pleases within her calories.

Also side note, people don't really have different metabolisms. They have different tdees from having different starting weights, lean body day mass, and different activity levels. Growing kids also differ a bit due to needing more energy. That's about it. If a friend stays skinny eating pop tarts all the time its because he or she simply eats within caloric needs on average despite the regular calorie dense intake
  • ana3067
    Options

Get over it seriously

You're the one labeling a carb as dirty ... then stating we're "making up" what you said. When one counters your points with science ... it's getting "scientific" which it seems you're against . Now you're saying people should eat natural even if they can't spell what's in those natural foods ... because apparently if you can spell what is in it only matters if it is a food you disagree with.

For those without medical conditions, it is simply calories in vs calories out without regard to food type. For those with medical conditions, it is still calories in vs calories out with a few caveats on the intake. There are some medications that alter how the body functions ... but when those are accounted for weight loss remains a function of calories in vs calories out. It is simple science.

What if I couldn't pronounce like .. Pineapple for some reason? Or what about ESL people, can they not eat a bunch of things when they are speaking English but they can eat them only when speaking their first language?