Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options

Replies

• meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    capriqueen wrote: »

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    meltedsno wrote: »

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

But that's not the protein making her fat* that's measuring incorrectly.

Op make sure you are weighing your foods - not using cups as a measurement as they are only accurate for liquids, not solids like protein powder and oats.

I just have a lovely protein shake that will keep me satisfied until I get home for dinner.

*not saying they are fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound really lame, but my friend asked me what I eat for breakfast, and I said I sometimes have eggs, but I mostly have a protein shake for breakfast, with upto 25g of protein. He started lecturing me on how those can make me fat, and (I recently put on a lot of weight because of a lot of fast food) that is why I've gotten fat. Then he says it's not wise to have protein shakes on a day when I'm not lifting. I told him how you're supposed to eat 1g per pound of lean body mass but he didn't get the point.
    Then he said if I want to lose weight I should not be eating eggs because eggs make you fat! I told him eggs don't make us fat, it's the excess calories that make us fat, to which he retorts, protein right after a workout can cause muscles to form. At this point I just lost it.

Here's a sample day of my diet:

Lunch: Black bean salad (3/4 cup black beans, tomato, onion, 1tbsp guac ... approximately 250 calories)
    Dinner: similar to lunch, or salad with an egg.
    For a snack I usually have string cheese (50-80 calories, 6 g protein, 1-2 a day).

I have not started lifting yet, but I workout for an hour each day and I walk for 20 minutes. My protein intake for a day is 60-70 g of protein, and my lean body mass is 125 pounds. (I'm overweight at 180 pounds).
    Am I really doing something wrong?

You're doing fine. Don't listen to your friend, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Your friend shouldn't be hating on eggs, but there are good reasons to stay away from protein shakes. When you drink your calories, you may be hungry sooner and end up eating more.

No, protein shakes are fine in addition to your other food. When you lift heavy, it's advisable to have a protein shake within the hour after a workout.
  • SLLRunner
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I actually eat 1200 calories a day, the lunch and dinner is typically about 400 calories. Is my protein intake too high?

You only have 30 pounds to lose. I suggest you raise your calorie goal to lose at a slower rate, maybe 1 pound per week. In the long run, it will be more sustainable, and in the here and now you will properly fuel your body for that weightlifting.

ETA: I see you decided to raise your calories too. Good job!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

Doesn't matter if they have sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar doesn't make people fat or kill them.

Err sugar is a dirty carb, that needs reducing just like any other bad carbs. I didn't say it makes you fat, its definitely not healthy

What? This is not true.
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Daaamn. wasn't expecting THAT to happen lol.
    apple173 wrote: »
    OP: Eggs don't make you fat. I don't eat alot of meat but i do eat natural foods and i do have a protein shake a day. I do what is right for me and it's all about learning what can and canmot do in regards to your own health. Good luck.

Everyone else if you stay on track with your posts to whats being asked without getting heated it would be more helpful to anyone new to this lifestyle.

This is MFP dude. As long as there are people saying x food is evil there will be war amongst users.

cause people really really seem to love to argue on here.

lol lol lol

what?

It stands for "laughing out loud." Written three times.
  • Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion and opinions are like you know whats, everybody has one. I don't really tell people much about what I am doing because I don't need to hear their opinion about what I am doing with MY body. I started doing Low Carb, my daughter told someone about it then I heard about how her friend did that and ended up in the hospital, blah blah blah...so yeah my advise is to not share too much info.
  • SLLRunner
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mistake

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Joe_Buck69 wrote: »
    OP: Eggs don't make you fat. I don't eat alot of meat but i do eat natural foods and i do have a protein shake a day. I do what is right for me and it's all about learning what can and canmot do in regards to your own health. Good luck.

Everyone else if you stay on track with your posts to whats being asked without getting heated it would be more helpful to anyone new to this lifestyle.

This is MFP dude. As long as there are people saying x food is evil there will be war amongst users.

lol lol lol

what?

yes, i know what it stands for. i didn't find my post funny, thus the "what?"
  • SLLRunner
    Options

But that's not the protein making her fat* that's measuring incorrectly.

Op make sure you are weighing your foods - not using cups as a measurement as they are only accurate for liquids, not solids like protein powder and oats.

I just have a lovely protein shake that will keep me satisfied until I get home for dinner.

*not saying they are fat.
    This.

No one food makes us fat, it's the over-consumption in general that does that.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.
  • capriqueen
    Options

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.
    EDIT: I meant 2/3 scoop... not cup. My bad.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

• capriqueen
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

I don't have a food scale..... kind of on a budget and pressed for time with grad school, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But I can assure you I was not on this diet when I was gaining weight. I was eating fast food left, right and center..... and much,much more than my TDEE.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

lol lol lol

what?

I believe that user wrote "LOL" because she found your statement that people love to argue on here to be ironic in the highest degree. Ironic in an Alanis Morrissette way.

Not so much.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

lol lol lol

what?

I believe that user wrote "LOL" because she found your statement that people love to argue on here to be ironic in the highest degree. Ironic in an Alanis Morrissette way.

it wasn't funny in an any sort of way.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Jakiepaper wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion and opinions are like you know whats, everybody has one. I don't really tell people much about what I am doing because I don't need to hear their opinion about what I am doing with MY body. I started doing Low Carb, my daughter told someone about it then I heard about how her friend did that and ended up in the hospital, blah blah blah...so yeah my advise is to not share too much info.

I don't want to come off as rude, but all an Internet message board is is people telling each other what they are doing and giving opinions. We argue, we go back and forth, we try not to go too far or take things personally, sometimes it happens. Only way to avoid it is to stay off the boards and not contribute and that's no fun. Join in!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

lol lol lol

what?

it wasn't funny in an any sort of way.

:laugh: