Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options

Replies

• shaleeny88
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot. Find new friends.

You basically got it - you COULD get fat eating protein, apples, eggs, bananas, carrots, WHATEVER if it is over your TDEE for an extended period of time. It is calories in, calories out - always.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    capriqueen wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You're not eating enough food.
    My apologies, my calorie estimates were off. I typically eat 1200 calories a day.

At your weight that's still not enough. especially if you aren't eating back your exercise calories. I'm guessing you set your goal to 2lb/week? I started out at 188, did my loss at 1lb/week or less and am 160 now or less (haven't weighed in a while). If I'd tried losing 2lbs/week I'd have been miserable.

You will not gain weight by eating x food. CICO. But you need to be eating enough food to make this into a lifestyle AND to actually stay committed to your weight loss efforts.
    Ok... I guess I will up my calories then. I have been targeting 2 pounds a week.... I set my lifestyle to sedentary and it gave me 1960 calories. Should I be eating at around 700 calories maybe?

You should be eating the calories they advised, as the deficit is already built in.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My apologies, my calorie estimates were off. I typically eat 1200 calories a day.

At your weight that's still not enough. especially if you aren't eating back your exercise calories. I'm guessing you set your goal to 2lb/week? I started out at 188, did my loss at 1lb/week or less and am 160 now or less (haven't weighed in a while). If I'd tried losing 2lbs/week I'd have been miserable.

You will not gain weight by eating x food. CICO. But you need to be eating enough food to make this into a lifestyle AND to actually stay committed to your weight loss efforts.
    Ok... I guess I will up my calories then. I have been targeting 2 pounds a week.... I set my lifestyle to sedentary and it gave me 1960 calories. Should I be eating at around 700 calories maybe?

You should be eating the calories they advised, as the deficit is already built in.

1960 was my TDEE...not the calories I was advised.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

Doesn't matter if they have sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar doesn't make people fat or kill them.

Err sugar is a dirty carb, that needs reducing just like any other bad carbs. I didn't say it makes you fat, its definitely not healthy
  • capriqueen
    Options

NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

Right. Monetarily, the protein powder worked out cheaper for me as I bought Body Fortress. The greek yogurt is a little more expensive.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

What? you mean 1700? You don't NEED to up your calories, but if you are eating 1200 or less every day and not eating back exercise calories then you are not eating enough. Log your exercise, eat at least half the calories. If it set your net maintenance to 1960 then as long as you net below that you will lose. But honestly, at your weight there's no real need to aim for 2lb/week.

Also with such a low protein goal you should be able to reach that without protein powder. I can reach that in my first two meals wtihout powders, I only use powder when baking (not always though) or if I'm in a rush.
  • shaleeny88
    Options

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

Doesn't matter if they have sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar doesn't make people fat or kill them.

Err sugar is a dirty carb, that needs reducing just like any other bad carbs. I didn't say it makes you fat, its definitely not healthy

There is no bad food

just TOO MUCH is what can makes something unhealthy Thats all.

• ana3067
    Options

So you don't eat fruit then?

Healthy is subjective. I'm not going to bother getting into THIS again though, because I'm seriously done with people who think sugar is evil. Not even worth setting the record straight anymore.
  • ana3067
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

A dirty carb? Dirty, dirty carb.

o5CfM3w.gif?1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

WHAT??? There are no dirty carbs!
    mttueo0zjx7m.gif
  • shaleeny88
    Options

Healthy is subjective. I'm not going to bother getting into THIS again though, because I'm seriously done with people who think sugar is evil. Not even worth setting the record straight anymore.

Yes I eat fruits which have natural sugars.
  • ana3067
    Options

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.
  • shaleeny88
    Options

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously
  • capriqueen
    Options

My protein powder has just 1g sugar per serving... and I have just a 2/3 serving per day... so I guess it shouldn't hurt?
  • ana3067
    Options

Yes I eat fruits which have natural sugars.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12109-1366673254-1.gif

OP please disregard any anti-sugar advice you are given or read about on these forums.