I wonder if they realise…

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How many calories they are clocking up. Today it is one of my colleagues birthdays, although all birthdays are special, it isn’t a big one so to speak. She is turning 27 and to celebrate she brought in a selection of cakes and treats and asked a handful of her favourite colleagues to have a dominos for lunch. Then another colleague brought in a load of chocolate ice-creams since it’s great weather here in Glasgow today.
    Now I realise the girl whose Birthday it is has every right to indulge on her special day however I wonder if the others realise quite how many calories they are clocking up whilst indulging with her. I can’t imagine over indulging to that extend in my work place, particularly a fairly sedatory drawing office. A quick round up of the calories is below but boy it seems extreme!! I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!
    Chocolate fudge cake: 344 kcals, 19g fat, 40g carb, 13g sugar
    Half a dominos pizza: 750 kcals, 20g fat, 90g carb, 13g sugar
    2 Chicken strippers: 224 kcals, 12g fat, 13g carb, 8g sugar
    Chocolate icecream: 220 kcals, 15g fat, 19g carb, 18g sugar
    Total: 1520 kcals, 66g fat, 162g carb, 67g sugar

Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

chickenstripper.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????????
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sa
    orry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.
    Well technically I'm 21 as of 10 hours ago so idk why you're saying I'm not 21 yet. Aesthetics aren't the only thing in life that matter but it's made a huge difference in my life. Just through day to day life people treat you differently. Of course there are the obvious ones like people at the gym asking for tips and advice but there's much more than that. Last week I was walking over to my therapy group and it was hot out so I took my shirt off and some girl comes up to me and asks about my diet/exercise. Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

You keep using the word aesthetic, yet I really don't think you know what the word means. Aesthetic simple means appearance. IT IS NOT A WORD THAT DESCRIBES A CERTAIN LOOK! Someone can be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, aesthetic can also mean a not so pleasing appearance, but one can not just be aesthetic.

Plus looks will only get you far and no it doesn't give you a free pass to act any way you want.

Actually, that's not what aesthetic means either.

aes·thet·ic/ɛsˈθɛtɪk or, esp. British, is-/ Show Spelled [es-thet-ik or, esp. British, ees-] Show IPA
    adjective
    1. pertaining to a sense of the beautiful or to the philosophy of aesthetics.
    2. of or pertaining to the study of the mind and emotions in relation to the sense of beauty; of or relating to the science of aesthetics.
    3. having a sense of the beautiful; characterized by a love of beauty.
    4. pertaining to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality.
    noun
    5. the philosophical theory or set of principles governing the idea of beauty at a given time and place: the clean lines, bare surfaces, and sense of space that bespeak the machine-age aesthetic; the Cubist aesthetic.
    6. Archaic. the study of the nature of sensation.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    How many calories they are clocking up. Today it is one of my colleagues birthdays, although all birthdays are special, it isn’t a big one so to speak. She is turning 27 and to celebrate she brought in a selection of cakes and treats and asked a handful of her favourite colleagues to have a dominos for lunch. Then another colleague brought in a load of chocolate ice-creams since it’s great weather here in Glasgow today.
    Now I realise the girl whose Birthday it is has every right to indulge on her special day however I wonder if the others realise quite how many calories they are clocking up whilst indulging with her. I can’t imagine over indulging to that extend in my work place, particularly a fairly sedatory drawing office. A quick round up of the calories is below but boy it seems extreme!! I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!

Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

chickenstripper.jpg

Molly, I :heart: you....I knew it would be full of indignant "mind your own business" responses, but I was seriously hoping someone was going to pick up on "chicken strippers" in this thread :laugh: :laugh:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

U are 100% correct!
    If only it were so simple to say " no thank you" Office Politics!!!
    It is so hard to always avoid those calorie traps, esp when it seems rude to explain your way out of it. You are in a difficult situation because the bar has been raised and the next person's birthday is probably next month---- refuse ...yet remain friends, not so easy, and the workplace is a landmine of innuendo, emotions , feelings being bruised, take care, good luck.

????☺????☺????
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My boss eats four times the amount I do, and is still struggling with becoming too lean (marathon Training).
    Why be so judgemental? - I never knew how many calories were in peanut butter, mayonnaise or maple syrup, that didn't keep me from being slim until I hit 30. I didn't need to know. Now I do, and I get jealous of those metabolic wonders that can afford to eat whatever they like, and I admire the athletes who earn the right to do so as well.
    Yeah, it's different with my friend who's 5'5", 240 lbs and has coke for breakfast, but still I shut up and smile. Not my battle to wage. People know what they ought to be eating, the rest is choice.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    the only time I get annoyed at my co-workers overindulgences is when the keep snarfing the cakes and donuts and then whine about their high blood sugar readings because they are all diabetic. I just don't get that.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The only error I see is in the way you think.

Maybe if you elaborate you could teach me something...

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I see calories all the time now. I just had this problem yesterday at work. Donato's pizza, cake, and salad at work because of party. Cake and pizza are trigger foods for me...

Anyway - I killed 1100 calories at LUNCH and I felt so bad about myself for it. I used to be able to just say, no thank you.

A lot of them don't realize what they are doing or dont care - it becomes a herd mentality. ANd if you say no, you're "weird"...

It's one of the hardest parts of work social etiquette.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

chickenstripper.jpg

Molly, I :heart: you....I knew it would be full of indignant "mind your own business" responses, but I was seriously hoping someone was going to pick up on "chicken strippers" in this thread :laugh: :laugh:

gallery_42_2_446272.gif
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You realize that! Other people not so much. If they aren't mindful of what they eat on a regular day imagine a "special" day? If it's just 1500 cal for all that cake/ice cream/pizza, I would go for it and just work it off later. You just have to be active enough to counterbalance what you eat, to be able to keep yourself on track. On another note, I don't care what other people eat. I pay attention to my plate. THAT being said, I wouldn't say anything to anyone about their eating habits.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There is only 2 of us in my office & I have to say we do eat junk all the time.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    When I'm asked to bring in a "treat" for an occasion such as that, I bring in something healthy and/or organic. People are usually surprised when they find out that my goodies are made from REAL ingredients and not loaded with fat and sugar! I think it's okay to indulge every now and then, but people are good at using these get-togethers and celebrations as excuses to justify staying OFF track!
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.
    Well technically I'm 21 as of 10 hours ago so idk why you're saying I'm not 21 yet. Aesthetics aren't the only thing in life that matter but it's made a huge difference in my life. Just through day to day life people treat you differently. Of course there are the obvious ones like people at the gym asking for tips and advice but there's much more than that. Last week I was walking over to my therapy group and it was hot out so I took my shirt off and some girl comes up to me and asks about my diet/exercise. Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

Wow, those last two sentences say A LOT about you, my dear. You most definitely are in for a rude awakening some day. I hope that you do look up the word "as**e" and I hope you DO NOT ever use it in the same reference that you did in this thread. It's good you think your looks will get you far in life, because your brains obviously have taken a hit, as have your manners, your sensitivity and your self-control. Good luck to you, you will need it if you carry on with that mental attitude. And, you may be 21, but you still have A WHOLE LOT OF GROWING UP TO DO!
  • Lizadonovan
    Lizadonovan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This happens just about every weekend with my friends and also at work - foodies are everywhere - they are right here!!! Take the focus off the food and drink... We have choices my favorite is to arrive late cuz my will power isn't all that great, focus on conversations and distance myself from the food.
  • Lizadonovan
    Lizadonovan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, she absolutely right - people who are easy on the eyes get the job offers, better seats and general all around assistance.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.
    Wait, so are you actually trying to say its OK to be dumb as long as you look good? :laugh:

WOW...just.....wow :noway:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

Wow, those last two sentences say A LOT about you, my dear. You most definitely are in for a rude awakening some day. I hope that you do look up the word "as**e" and I hope you DO NOT ever use it in the same reference that you did in this thread. It's good you think your looks will get you far in life, because your brains obviously have taken a hit, as have your manners, your sensitivity and your self-control. Good luck to you, you will need it if you carry on with that mental attitude. And, you may be 21, but you still have A WHOLE LOT OF GROWING UP TO DO!
    >implying I care

Top lel

I spend a good amount of my internet time on /fit/ and people use "aspie" and "aesthetic" in the context I used them all the time. Both of those words have their own "slang" type meaning now.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

>implying I care

Top lel

I spend a good amount of my internet time on /fit/ and people use "aspie" and "aesthetic" in the context I used them all the time. Both of those words have their own "slang" type meaning now.

While I am sure I will disagree with random every now and then based off her posts.
    Working out is her hobby. it is more than something she "has to do"

I honestly worked out on my birthday. I didnt count my calories and it was just my preference.

If I am cutting and I am going to have a "cheat" day. You bet your *kitten* I will make sure the calories will be utilized to something other than fat.

But to each their own. Some people want a better body. some people want a better car, some people want to sit around and watch TV.

Its their birthday and they can enjoy it whatever way they please. Whatever is the most fun for them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.
    Wait, so are you actually trying to say its OK to be dumb as long as you look good? :laugh:

WOW...just.....wow :noway:
    Not dumb, but you can say ridiculous stuff that other people can't get away with. For example, let's look at the father of aesthetics, Zyzz. Show me an unfit person that can get away with saying half of the stuff he used to say.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My office is mainly filled with very over weight people. They do potlucks for EVERYTHING and go on "diets" regularly and give up quickly and rarely workout. I know it's a huge struggle for them and they aren't happy about it, but there is nothing I can do or say about it. I do answer them and teach them what I know when they come to me (I am known as the "fitness guru" at work)......but in the end they continue to make the lifestyle choices they make. I still care about them and hope one day they can make a true healthy change for themselves.