What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• NancyWilper
    NancyWilper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    -You will discover bones you forgot (or never knew) you had.

I have a long way to go this time around, but you reminded me of once years ago, I had reached a 40 pound goal and couldn't figure out what the bumps below my rib cage were. Turns out, I had hip bones. We'd never met.
  • NancyWilper
    NancyWilper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Something I am looking forward to is clothes shopping. The clothes I buy now are ones I hope will hide myself. The thought that I could actually see something beautiful on the rack and have it fit me is almost unimaginable--almost.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Courage! People will eventually notice, but it may take a lot longer than you expect.
    But tell us and we'll cheer for you. Friend me and i'll see your achievements and cheer. I lost 30 or 40 lbs over one summer and expected people in the chorus i sing in to n9tice - after all, it was septrmber ahnc they hadnt seen me since June. Didnt happen. But a fewf months further on, i got lots of compliments.
    Dont give up! You can do it. Do it for yourself.
    Me, im almost 64. Started losing in 2013. Just in the last month or two found myself running places (okay, still really short distances) just because i can. I'd never have expected that, or believed it might happen.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I need constant reinforcement from people saying I look thinner or I get discouraged. I've lost 15lbs and not a word from anyone.

My above msg is for you. ☺
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Something I am looking forward to is clothes shopping. The clothes I buy now are ones I hope will hide myself. The thought that I could actually see something beautiful on the rack and have it fit me is almost unimaginable--almost.

It will happen. Not without time and work, but it will happen.

Me, i unearth my waist after decades, want belts and tucked in blouses ... and the stores are full of tunics!
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    this thread is very motivating! Thanks for everyone who is sharing.

I'm yo-yoing a lot with diet, so my weight has not been consistently going down, but I have been working out regularly and even though my weight has not changed dramatically I still can tell that my body shape is changing. I'm also feel more comfortable in my clothes and have a better sex drive.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I need constant reinforcement from people saying I look thinner or I get discouraged. I've lost 15lbs and not a word from anyone.
    Be patient - I've lost 24 lbs and I'm juuuuust starting to get the occasional comment from people who haven't seen me in a month. And you also should accept that some people in your life aren't ever going to encourage you. Good thing you're doing this for YOU, and not them, right? If you need encouragement, we're here.

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »

It will happen. Not without time and work, but it will happen.

Me, i unearth my waist after decades, want belts and tucked in blouses ... and the stores are full of tunics!

I went to a clothing party last night and was just thinking the same thing!

I am finally fitting into size 8 and sometimes size 6 and the clothes are flowing hippy tops and the pants are high waisted "mom" jeans!! And the 80's are back in a big way!!

Oh well since this is a lifestyle change and fashion is cyclical I'll be around for the next style change too! ;-)
  • louise_m_lessard
    Options
    Thank you to all who have shared! This has been a bit of a roller coaster and gaining back a simple pound this am threw me for a loop!
    I have had chronic stomach problems most of my life. Over-medicated as a child to remedy problems that good nutrition most likely would have solved. As a result, my metabolism and hormones went for a whack the last few years and I gave up on nutrition and exercise. Scared to admit I needed help to start. I started six weeks ago with not a lot to lose (SW 157 - GW 125 - CW 146) but much to gain.

I am saying "Now is the time" for both my health and ability to have a healthy child one day.

Start new each day! Chin up and face forward. Don't look back :)

• Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    AubreyWestwood - Remember you are doing it for you! Also I agree with JanetMMcC -- tell us, we will be your cheerleaders. I love having the MFP community behind me on my journey. It is amazing to have everyone tell you what a good job and keep up the good work.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    How much I touch myself. (Not like that, pervs!) But I just find the new contours of my body fascinating. My collarbone, knuckles, my legs look/feel completely different, I can feel my ribs and hipbones when I lie down. It's crazy.

Not being a perv, but sex is better. I feel like I am physically closer to my hubby when our hip bones can touch, whereas before my belly was in the way. There is also something to be said for flexibility and stamina.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    the reason your belt won't go to the next hole is not because there is too much belly in the way, but rather there is too much waistband all bunched under the belt due to looking like a bag lady (I hate shopping, I never find anything quickly that fits even when I know my size.)
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bungie01 wrote: »

@AubreyWestwood Some people don't notice things like this (myself included). My Dad lost almost 60 pounds before I actually noticed he had lost weight (terrible I know, but it's just not something I look at in the people I love)

And sometimes people may notice but not comment on it because they're uncomfortable doing so. I honestly feel really uncomfortable commenting on someone else's body if its not invited by them and I know others do to. We don't want to cause offense or draw attention to something that might upset them.

I find the best way to get positive comments is to bring it up yourself. Let them know you've been working to lose weight or talk about your food choices, then you're inviting them to congratulate you. And you can always tell us on MFP, this place is full of cheerleaders!

I've lost about 15 pounds as well and nobody has noticed, but I can definitely understand why. Don't get disheartened! You got this girl!

You can do this! I know the disappointment. I have lost 10 lbs (with only about 20 in total to lose, so I thought/felt it was a big change), but nobody noticed. However, I've noticed, and I've found taking progress pics for myself has validated that I really do look and feel different. My clothes fit better, I no longer cross my arms in front of myself, etc. I think more than anything I was better at hiding being bigger than I thought. You got this - try to find validation in yourself and the change that you notice and feel.
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    How when you hit your goal weight you don't magically have a perfect bikini body, WHERE ARE THE UNICORNS I EXPECTED??????

Isn't THAT the truth!!! Hopefully the weight training will get me to where "I" want to be. :)

Hahaha so true!! For me it's thinking I have 10 pounds to lose, losing 10 pounds and realizing I really had more like 25 to lose!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Had to buy scrubs today. I wear medium pants and large shirts.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I get cold.easier
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!