What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes in a small size...not feeling guilty about it! Instead of avoiding mirrors while nude, actually checking out how much thinner I am. Lol.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    machjas wrote: »
    I just read this entire thread over the last few weeks. Thanks for keeping me motivated, everyone! I'm down 16lbs since Feb 8th when I started getting serious. I changed my sleep schedule so I can wake up, make a proper breakfast, then walk 2 miles every morning, then after work walk another 2 miles, then dinner. I feel like it's working out pretty well, and staying busy keeps me from snacking or binging.

That's what I need to do ... follow your example and get up earlier and walk twice a day!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    4. Most people who don't know you very well are nicer. New people are nicer than they were. Now I've heard that "it's your self-esteem," and people are just responding to your newfound happy glow. Except, I haven't experienced a notable uptick in self esteem. I dont go out more, or date more. My self esteem was fine to start with. I was not an unhappy fat person; I was just fatter. No, I'm fairly certain that people are in fact responding to my smaller and more socially acceptable physical form. Which is actually a real bummer, to be honest, though it has made me very thoughtful about how I interact with other people.

How true! I've been very thin and very fat (truly!) And people are way nicer to me when I'm very thin, especially random people. I'm the same person inside either way.

However people who know me generally do not get to harbor illusions about my character, thin or fat!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    A few things (good and bad):
    1. Moving around is just easier. Everything physical that you do in a day... it's all easier than it used to be.
    5. I think about my physical and mental health a lot more than I used to. It is becoming a higher priority, and this is very good.

So true. Yoga has always been my favorite form of activity, and now that I weigh less, poses are so much easier. Also, in wanting to take care of myself, and making time for it, I feel so much better inside out.
  • maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

hahaha this... My back is bruised from doing workouts on the floor because my shoulder blades stick out so much now.

No one told me how annoying buying clothes could be. It's great when they fit, but I keep going down sizes and needing to buy more and then not having a purpose for the larger sizes.

On a more positive note, I get hit on a lot more. Three different guys asked me out for Valentine's Day this year :)

• Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I only started January this year and am not quite a third of the way to my goal, but a few things I have noticed:

The boobs are the first to go :neutral: And as someone who didn't have a lot of it to begin with, that's not good news...

You need a lot more washing powder and soap. I'm doing cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon (with an added walk at times) so my bathing and grooming schedule has had to change to twice daily, which has led to a noticeable increase in the use of cleaning products as well as an increased laundry pile.

People may not notice the weightloss immediately, but many do notice that something has changed. They may ask if you have changed your hair, or something in that vein, few immediately recognise it as weightloss, but do recognise a change...

Walking increases all aspects of cardiovascular health. I have been walking at least 5km daily and no running/jogging. This weekend I tried to jog for the first time in years, and where previously I could only jog for a minute and then have to walk for at least four minutes before I could attempt a jog again when I usually started to get into running, this time I could jog (slow pace) for fifteen minutes on end without needing to slow down! I can only attribute it to the walking I've been doing since January...
  • SMA1986
    SMA1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to be like a lot of people and thought I needed some expensive shake or pill or something else to help me lose weight. I've lost over 25 pounds just tracking calories and using this free app and a friend of my sisters was telling her how she lost weight with this new, expensive, pill. Well...i lost more weight then her in that time frame and I did it for free! If someone told me a long time ago counting calories was this easy and I would see this weight loss I would have done it!
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what a lot of people have felt about being encouraged by others commenting on their weight loss. It actually annoys me when someone says "oh you are looking skinny today" especially when they are much smaller than me. It almost feels condescending like they have said it to tick a box and make me feel good but I don't need that. Looking different and feeling healthy is good enough for me. I've lost 23 pounds since 3rd Jan just from monitoring food intake mainly how much of each macro plus the gym 3 times a week with one PT session a week.

I am cold ALL the time - the summer could not come sooner!

My boobs have evened out (one has always been bigger by a noticeable amount) so although they are smaller, I am chuffed!

I've become quite toned in a small stretch of time even though my plan is to lose another 28 pounds.

Going to the gym makes you randy as hell!

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    becbo22 wrote: »
    How depersonalizing your body change can be. Sometimes you feel like you're in the wrong body, like you snuck into someone else's. Last night I was casually grabbing my belly and there was much less to grab than before and it actually shocked me. Like my heart flipped over for a second. It was actually scary. Hopefully I'll get used to it. I've only lost ~15lbs total so far.

This happens to me all the time.

This. No one talks much about the disassociation. Sometimes, I'll just take a minute to stand in front of the mirror and think, "Oh, hi. That's me there, with the waist and the hipbones and the leg muscles." Since my partner and I are doing this together, it's not just my body I don't recognize. I'll hug him and he'll feel like a stranger in my arms. It's disorienting.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    katy_2810 wrote: »
    Contrary to what a lot of people have felt about being encouraged by others commenting on their weight loss. It actually annoys me when someone says "oh you are looking skinny today" especially when they are much smaller than me. It almost feels condescending like they have said it to tick a box and make me feel good but I don't need that. Looking different and feeling healthy is good enough for me. I've lost 23 pounds since 3rd Jan just from monitoring food intake mainly how much of each macro plus the gym 3 times a week with one PT session a week.

I am cold ALL the time - the summer could not come sooner!

My boobs have evened out (one has always been bigger by a noticeable amount) so although they are smaller, I am chuffed!

I've become quite toned in a small stretch of time even though my plan is to lose another 28 pounds.

Going to the gym makes you randy as hell!

Oh!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Funsoaps wrote: »
    Buying clothes in a small size...not feeling guilty about it! Instead of avoiding mirrors while nude, actually checking out how much thinner I am. Lol.

Awesome! I attend an aquatics center,so there are people that walk from the shower to their area (behind a cloth screen to put on (or take off) clothes. To me, they are my goal weight, but here I am walking around nude from point A to B. I am more comfortable in my skin than they are, and its plain sad. For me its mostly a great way to completely dry off, (after actually drying off with a towel) and yep when there aren't people in there, I do check my naked self out in the mirror to reaffirm what I look like, to what my brain is looking at. To be in sync.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    A few things (good and bad):

4. Most people who don't know you very well are nicer. New people are nicer than they were.

Truth. The biggest one I've noticed is that men always hold doors open for me now. Always.
    That never happened 30 pounds ago.

• mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    How uncomfortable my bed really is. After loosing 100 pounds I had to buy a new mattress. I no longer had the padding around my hips.

That is an amazing observation. I can't wait for a new mattress...maybe that is my discomfort in this process. I have a NEW goal other than smaller pants, something to look forward to. Plus a huge luxury

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!