What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• TricksterBreeze
    TricksterBreeze Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Having to have your prom dress taken in three or four sizes because you've lost too much weight to keep it up no matter how tightly corseted.

The stamina to completely run more than a lap.

Looking at itty-bitty clothes and thinking 'There's no way that's my size!', though it really is

Feeling much more confident

Receiving unwanted attention

Receiving wanted attention :^))

Having to go thrift shopping for smaller sized clothing

Looking at all of the oversized clothing pile up

You have so much more energy!

Other people are too intimidated to ask you The Question.
  • TricksterBreeze
    TricksterBreeze Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Funsoaps wrote: »
    Buying clothes in a small size...not feeling guilty about it! Instead of avoiding mirrors while nude, actually checking out how much thinner I am. Lol.

I thought I was the only one who did this! Constant bod-checks.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Snipsa wrote: »
    I only started January this year and am not quite a third of the way to my goal, but a few things I have noticed:

The boobs are the first to go :neutral: And as someone who didn't have a lot of it to begin with, that's not good news...

If only that had been true for me. :weary:
    katy_2810 wrote: »

Going to the gym makes you randy as hell!

THIS! NO ONE talks about this! WHY?!
    It's a thing!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Just how much sleep (or lack of) affects self-control! Very tired today - hope I make good choices!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Buying clothes in a small size...not feeling guilty about it! Instead of avoiding mirrors while nude, actually checking out how much thinner I am. Lol.

Awesome! I attend an aquatics center,so there are people that walk from the shower to their area (behind a cloth screen to put on (or take off) clothes. To me, they are my goal weight, but here I am walking around nude from point A to B. I am more comfortable in my skin than they are, and its plain sad. For me its mostly a great way to completely dry off, (after actually drying off with a towel) and yep when there aren't people in there, I do check my naked self out in the mirror to reaffirm what I look like, to what my brain is looking at. To be in sync.

I'm curious as to why you find this sad? I'm comfortable in my own skin, and I'm pretty sure I'll never walk naked through a change room no matter my weight. We're all comfortable with different things, and I don't believe it makes anyone 'sad'. All part of You Do You.
  • Fey118
    Fey118 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wanted to make this thread for motivationial purposes more than anything but they don't all have to be super positive!

I hate to say it, but...saggy-baggy skin and stretch marks. I lost 80 pounds and was kind of dismayed by these. Who knows, my skin may tighten up a bit, but at 45 I know I can't expect miracles (you lose elasticity as you get older). As for the stretch marks, cocoa butter has helped, but I have had to accept the fact the battle scars from my war on overweight will always be with me, and to learn to love the skin I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, though – it's totally worth it, and I definitely feel and look better than before!

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SMA1986 wrote: »
    I used to be like a lot of people and thought I needed some expensive shake or pill or something else to help me lose weight. I've lost over 25 pounds just tracking calories and using this free app and a friend of my sisters was telling her how she lost weight with this new, expensive, pill. Well...i lost more weight then her in that time frame and I did it for free! If someone told me a long time ago counting calories was this easy and I would see this weight loss I would have done it!

I totally agree!! 100% free. Who knew!? :) and congrats to you
  • 2307dee
    2307dee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That is takes a while to realize I am not always the biggest girl in the room. I will still pick out people and ask my husband, "am I the same size as her?"...he laughs and tells me I am delusional. I have no perception of my real size.

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758 This helped me, you might find it useful.

Wow! What an eye opener! Everybody who has lost weight, is losing weight, or is unsure whether they need to change their life really does need to look at this. It certainly gave me some perspective, and 40kg lighter has opened my eyes to re-think exactly what others are now seeing. One day soon I hope I can see the real me that I have worked so damn hard for. Thank you xx
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Awesome! I attend an aquatics center,so there are people that walk from the shower to their area (behind a cloth screen to put on (or take off) clothes. To me, they are my goal weight, but here I am walking around nude from point A to B. I am more comfortable in my skin than they are, and its plain sad. For me its mostly a great way to completely dry off, (after actually drying off with a towel) and yep when there aren't people in there, I do check my naked self out in the mirror to reaffirm what I look like, to what my brain is looking at. To be in sync.

I'm curious as to why you find this sad? I'm comfortable in my own skin, and I'm pretty sure I'll never walk naked through a change room no matter my weight. We're all comfortable with different things, and I don't believe it makes anyone 'sad'. All part of You Do You.

@Angelfire365 Maybe sad wasn't the word I was searching for. I think women have opportunities they aren't aware they have, in teaching other women empowerment. In locker rooms there are many shy, embarrassed, ladies with low self esteem. So I walk bare-skinned and maybe, just maybe, those women that seem so self conscience will realize that we are all the same. Human.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    fireheart5 wrote: »
    -how bad you actually felt before. You get used to not feelin good but when you lose weight your realize what it actually means to feel good.

this!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

@Angelfire365 Maybe sad wasn't the word I was searching for. I think women have opportunities they aren't aware they have, in teaching other women empowerment. In locker rooms there are many shy, embarrassed, ladies with low self esteem. So I walk bare-skinned and maybe, just maybe, those women that seem so self conscience will realize that we are all the same. Human.

While I tend to agree that many ladies in general could use more confidence, I think there's a big difference between low self-esteem and modesty.

This is where I'm leaning as well. While there are women who cover up due to low self-esteem, there are just as many who cover due to modesty. Shyness also does not indicate low self-esteem. Without asking them directly, one just doesn't know why someone walks free as a JayBird, or why they wrap the biggest, fluffiest towels they own around them.

That being said, if someone feels just a little bit more empowered seeing your confidence, then all's good! :)
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When you tell someone you are making a life change and they see you slimming down but they keep offering you junk food or asking if you want to eat out when you have your healthy lunch.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    All my clothing seems longer. Very weird. Even my cardigan sweaters at work - the sleeves are getting longer!! Would have never imagined that!
  • MommyLoo
    MommyLoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options

misjent wrote: »
    Your morning breadth will be just horrific!

Take chlorophyll tablets - they are life changing for breath or body odor!
  • aprilmerritt434
    aprilmerritt434 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    How emotional it can be. Realizing you're almost 30 and you are smaller and weigh less than you did in middle school gets those feels going.

Oh my god yes! I found pants in an old storage bin that are way too big! I guess I remembered being pretty small when I was a teenager. Apparently not!
  • stickkop
    stickkop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to sleep with a fan - winter and summer - I was just so damn hot and summers we brutal. Now I am cold in the winter, don't sleep with a fan and can tolerate the summer heat.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That going from sedentary to working out at the gym+ 3 days a week is a process that sneaks itself into your lifestyle...
  • K10D2015
    K10D2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No one told me I would literally be cold all the time. Guess I never realized how warm that extra layer of fat was.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!