What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Nobody told my that my community would benefit as well. Now that I walk around town instead of driving from one spot to another, I've taken up the habit of picking up trash and disposing of it.
    I find it strange though when some people look at me like "what is she doing?" They're probably the same people who just drop their trash where they want to.

If you have not read this yet, I think you'll really enjoy it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/30/stepping-out-3

Great read, thank you!

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    alohajls wrote: »
    The point is that I thought losing weight would make buying clothes easier, and it will eventually, but right now it feels like I am in no man's land. Just have to power through! Gives me something good to look forward to.

Exactly. This. I'm glad I'm not alone but sorry you're feeling this way as well.
  • tracywat30
    tracywat30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

So true.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I need constant reinforcement from people saying I look thinner or I get discouraged. I've lost 15lbs and not a word from anyone.

I'm feeling similar, I've lost 20+ pounds since Christmas, and...nothing. Nobody has said a word. So, I'm frustrated, but, I'll keep going until I find out just how many pounds I need to lose before somebody asks.

I think I lost 50 or 60 before people seemed to notice.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    machjas wrote: »
    I just read this entire thread over the last few weeks. Thanks for keeping me motivated, everyone! I'm down 16lbs since Feb 8th when I started getting serious. I changed my sleep schedule so I can wake up, make a proper breakfast, then walk 2 miles every morning, then after work walk another 2 miles, then dinner. I feel like it's working out pretty well, and staying busy keeps me from snacking or binging.

Way to go!
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    How much you'll roll your eyes at your coworkers when they say that this miracle thing or that miracle thing will help you lose more weight and how they can't wait to try it and how I should try it too. Um, I've lost almost 60 pounds just tracking calories and moving more, I think I'm good.

Also how jewelry (mainly rings) fit you differently. The engagement ring I still wear with my wedding band keeps flipping around so that it's face up on the palm side. Not quite loose enough yet to get it resized or wear a spacer with it, but just enough to be annoying.

Great loss!
    I found a package of different-sized plastic ring spacers. It was maybe six or ten dollars at most. Might be worth a look as temporary measure, until you get to goal.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    SMA1986 wrote: »
    I used to be like a lot of people and thought I needed some expensive shake or pill or something else to help me lose weight. I've lost over 25 pounds just tracking calories and using this free app and a friend of my sisters was telling her how she lost weight with this new, expensive, pill. Well...i lost more weight then her in that time frame and I did it for free! If someone told me a long time ago counting calories was this easy and I would see this weight loss I would have done it!

Whoo-wee! Way to go!
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    A few things (good and bad):

4. Most people who don't know you very well are nicer. New people are nicer than they were.

Truth. The biggest one I've noticed is that men always hold doors open for me now. Always.
    That never happened 30 pounds ago.

I haven't noticed more frequent door-opening. But then, I've also long been one to open doors for whoever is there, sometimes with a low bow and flourish. ☺
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Having to have your prom dress taken in three or four sizes because you've lost too much weight to keep it up no matter how tightly corseted.

The stamina to completely run more than a lap.

Looking at itty-bitty clothes and thinking 'There's no way that's my size!', though it really is

Feeling much more confident

Receiving unwanted attention

Receiving wanted attention :^))

Having to go thrift shopping for smaller sized clothing

Looking at all of the oversized clothing pile up

You have so much more energy!

Other people are too intimidated to ask you The Question.

Very cool!
    How long is a lap? The longest I've managed to run so far is about a half-mile. Am working reward the 15 minutes my fitbit will recognize automagically.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Nobody told me that it would be so hard finding clothes in smaller sizes. When I was a lot bigger, I knew I had the handful of stores I could shop in and the choices were limited. And you made it work because you had to. Now, in a size 16, XL shirt or 1X, there's either a no-man's land size-wise or these sizes fly off the racks. I don't understand how and where the line is drawn between misses and plus sizes, or that an XL and a 1X should be the same size (or XXL and 2X), but they're not! I'm clueless as to what stores/brands are good or reasonable or carry my sizes. I never thought it would be MORE difficult to shop for clothes, but it's actually getting harder every new size.

Women's sizes don't make sense because every brand has a different template. Men can buy pants by waist and inseam and be pretty sure they'll fit. After shedding 70-odd pounds, starting at. ... I think too-tight 20s, I can still wear some 14s, while others fall off me. I also wear 12s, 10s and the very occasional 8. And, tho the weight has been 140-145 since November, pants that were tight when I bought them then are now loose. At 63, I'm getting sorta toned! (But the midsectional skin is loose and weird-looking.)
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    KpopGrad92 wrote: »
    The emotional side of it all. Passing former lowest weights, Getting out of obese category, Getting out of plus size, Realizing how capable you are of physical activity. Realizing what people really support you, this is so huge! I realized how unsupportive my ex was of me and all I can think is thank god I got rid of him before we moved in or got married. I know in 20 lbs when I hit onederland there will be tears, I know when I hit normal BMI there will be tears. Goal weight I will just be such a mess. You learn a lot about your real self. You learn about the people around you. I learned I love running and that weight lifting doesn't suck that much. Weight loss is a lot of self discovery. I am excited what losing 80 more pounds will help me learn.

Super!
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    holmesj747 wrote: »
    going from being told at the doctors office that you have high blood pressure and them wanting to prescribe medication to (a new doctor) taking a double take looking at your chart and saying that everything is now right where it was supposed to be, no medication needed and asking what I've done to change. That felt damn good!!!

Huzza!
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    oh and no longer having man boobs that are bigger than some of the females I know. lol :D

• JanetMMcC
    Options
    How easy and effortless it is just to go from sitting to standing. You don't have to use your arms to push yourself up off the couch.

How your confidence shines and you learn to love yourself.

How sugar really affects your body and mood.

How amazing it feels to actually go after your dream of being fit and seeing that it is possible=)

No longer needing a cane to heave myself up from the ground if I got down to photograph a flower or lizard.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    oh and no longer having man boobs that are bigger than some of the females I know. lol :D

I
    don't know why my "waytago!" didn't show up.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    That you will walk out of a restaurant without ordering after looking at a menu and realizing they don't have anything that will fit your macros.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    That you will walk out of a restaurant without ordering after looking at a menu and realizing they don't have anything that will fit your macros.
    I am looking forward to the day I am confident enough to do this!! Working on it. :smile:
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I actually mentioned in one of my Facebook groups not too long ago about how your body goes through sort of transformation phase on the way to greatness where it looks 'different' and it's NOT a good different either. You have to push through that phase to get to the greatness, but it DOES come through eventually!

There IS light at the end of the tunnel! :heart: [/quote]

I LOVE this comment!! I was Literally telling myself this yesterday and it's great reading that someone else feels the same and can relate!! I have different parts of me that are fantastic while other areas.. Not so much. Lol But I see them TRYING to transform. Once I burn/lose the last of this fat on my upper body so that more of my muscles show through, I'll be home free. I look a little bulkier than I'd like to look on the top because I still have some fat to lose on my arms and upper back. It just doesn't go with the rest of my body. Smh. Folks don't see what I see, but what matters is what I think. Lol
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

I have just realized that's why I'm so cold, lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!