What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    Nobody told me how jiggly I would get. At my heaviest, my skin & fat were tight. Now that I have lost a bit and have stronger muscles underneath, I can pinch/pull the actual fatty tissue out. It weirds me out, but shows visually how many calories I have yet to burn. I am sure this phenomenon is known, but I was/am surprised by it. It is weird to actually be able to almost see the fat as something floating around inside my body on top of the muscles.

I feel you there; I'm noticing the same thing now. I was all firm; now if I flex, I can just see the softer fat moving around to accommodate the muscles. I'm guessing that as my skin catches up with my weight loss that may change a bit though.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @Ms_LisaKay I've just reached that point in the last month and was feeling how weird it felt. Glad for the loss and happy to see there are muscles underneath. Lol
  • neethuct
    neethuct Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me how jiggly I would get. At my heaviest, my skin & fat were tight. Now that I have lost a bit and have stronger muscles underneath, I can pinch/pull the actual fatty tissue out. It weirds me out, but shows visually how many calories I have yet to burn. I am sure this phenomenon is known, but I was/am surprised by it. It is weird to actually be able to almost see the fat as something floating around inside my body on top of the muscles.

I feel you there; I'm noticing the same thing now. I was all firm; now if I flex, I can just see the softer fat moving around to accommodate the muscles. I'm guessing that as my skin catches up with my weight loss that may change a bit though.

^^true

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Yes I've noticed this too. Being able to see my 'fat suit' makes me want to work harder to lose it! So, so jiggly right now though :(
  • sweetlily2day
    sweetlily2day Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sc0tt14 wrote: »
    The confidence boost and projecting it onto others!!!

So true
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    hartmamp wrote: »
    hartmamp wrote: »
    Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

As I get closer to my goal weight, the plateaus last longer and the whooshes are bigger. I had a 5 month plateau late last year / early this year. When I posted on MFP after about 3 months, I would just get the response that I wasn't logging right. Seriously?! My logging method was working and then is wrong even when I didn't change anything?! In Mar., I got the "whoosh" of a several lb. loss in a few days. Now I've been in another plateau since Mar. and no idea how long this one will last.

Honestly, I think it's just a sensitive subject and people who aren't extremely close to you don't want to offend you by saying, "oh my gosh, you've lost so much weight and look great!", possibly implying that before you were fat/looked terrible.

I don't get how that is relevant. My point was that, on MFP, the conversation is that plateaus are extremely short lived. If you haven't lost weight after a couple of weeks, you are assumed to be incorrectly logging.

The reality is that plateaus last longer and longer each time... eventually lasting for several months. The "whoosh" is bigger after those months, but it can be very discouraging when nobody is willing to acknowledge that plateaus are real and they can last a very long time... it isn't always incorrect logging to blame.

Oops.. It's not relevant, I totally quoted the wrong person. My fault. I meant to quote the poster who said she was surprised more folks didn't comment on her weight loss!!

Ah... that makes sense.
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    That some people (friends/family) will start to ask you if you are sick, starving yourself, and/or are too skinny. This has been one of the hardest things, and it has only been happening recently. Right now I am in the middle of my healthy BMI (range 111-150 and I'm at 132) and I'm definitely not "too skinny". People had been very supportive when I was starting, but very quickly they have pulled a 180. Then when I say I want to lose just ~10 more (still within my healthy BMI, and I have a small frame) they tell me not to. It's unfortunate that people won't mention anything if you are too big but as soon as you start to be healthy they will start talking about it. I'm going to do what I want anyway lol.

Overall there are lots of good things too!
    * Shopping is WAY more fun, and things look better on me
    * I feel more comfortable sitting (jeans used to cut in to my stomach)
    * No more chaffing!
    * I feel less full, which was always so uncomfortable when I overate
    * My skin is super clear
    * I don't run away from pictures

My BMI range is the same. I also want to head for 120 (although I have more to go), I totally understand what you are going through! When I talk about getting to my goal weight, people always freak out... its in my health range and I will stop when I think it's enough.
    I completely support your decision! Its your body and you will know when to stop. Keep going, you're extremely close!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!