What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »

Also, this truly is something you have to do/want for yourself. No one else can achieve it for you or force you make this journey. You have to find your own motivation and keep pushing.

I LOVE this. Absolutely agree with you. You can have friends who support you, but unless you are truly committed you will fall short of your goals.
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »
    Also, this truly is something you have to do/want for yourself. No one else can achieve it for you or force you make this journey. You have to find your own motivation and keep pushing.

Top it off, my neighbor asked me what my goal weight is....I told her. She freaked out and told me I'd be wayyy to skinny and I should stop at a much higher weight. Ummmm no, it's my body, I researched BMI and weight ranges that are healthy. I set my goal. If I choose to stop before then it'll be because Im happy. Not because you think it's too small.

Hear, hear! We are totally on the same page! :smiley:
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

As I get closer to my goal weight, the plateaus last longer and the whooshes are bigger. I had a 5 month plateau late last year / early this year. When I posted on MFP after about 3 months, I would just get the response that I wasn't logging right. Seriously?! My logging method was working and then is wrong even when I didn't change anything?! In Mar., I got the "whoosh" of a several lb. loss in a few days. Now I've been in another plateau since Mar. and no idea how long this one will last.

Yep. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lb./week. In the last three weeks I've lost nothing, but four weeks ago I lost 4 lb. from Monday to Friday.

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That getting used to and even liking eating less calories and organic food didn't take that long. For me, at most, it takes about a week if I've fallen off the wagon. How bad my body feels when my eyes remember something being tastier than it turns out being.
    That I would use my miserly skills towards calorie counting. Some stuff is just too expensive, even if it's 50 cents...
  • MichelleRoderig
    MichelleRoderig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

hahaha this... My back is bruised from doing workouts on the floor because my shoulder blades stick out so much now.

No one told me how annoying buying clothes could be. It's great when they fit, but I keep going down sizes and needing to buy more and then not having a purpose for the larger sizes.

On a more positive note, I get hit on a lot more. Three different guys asked me out for Valentine's Day this year :)

• MichelleRoderig
    MichelleRoderig Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh Good Lord--- to Kelll12123--- I did not mean to copy your whole post as mine. I don't know what the hell I'm doing with all this!! Haha. I just wanted to make a comment on yours.... I don't see a downside to buying smaller clothes.......ever!!
  • AngeBee18
    AngeBee18 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    "I struggle with an irrational fear that if I miss a workout if I'm too tired or had to work late or something like that it will completely undo all the progress I have made and I will slip back into bad habits. the rational part of my brain knows it's nonsense and that sometimes you need an extra rest day, but it's still something that is lurking in the back of my mind and makes me anxious...I'm terrified to fail and go back to where I was..."

I thought I was the only one who felt like this way also. It has been the reason I have failed so many times before this journey. I would set out all the plans for working out and eating and then something or someone would derail them and POOF I would stumble. I know I was being too obsessive. This time I am much more relaxed about the whole thing. I am doing this for myself and have let go completely of the ocdness I once had.

I'm glad you have got past it! It's still a struggle for me. This week is a rest week in my training plan, so I'm still working out but at a lower intensity. I'm finding it hard to do that! Its good to hear other people are dealing with these feelings too - and winning!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    "I struggle with an irrational fear that if I miss a workout if I'm too tired or had to work late or something like that it will completely undo all the progress I have made and I will slip back into bad habits. the rational part of my brain knows it's nonsense and that sometimes you need an extra rest day, but it's still something that is lurking in the back of my mind and makes me anxious...I'm terrified to fail and go back to where I was..."

I thought I was the only one who felt like this way also. It has been the reason I have failed so many times before this journey. I would set out all the plans for working out and eating and then something or someone would derail them and POOF I would stumble. I know I was being too obsessive. This time I am much more relaxed about the whole thing. I am doing this for myself and have let go completely of the ocdness I once had.

I'm glad you have got past it! It's still a struggle for me. This week is a rest week in my training plan, so I'm still working out but at a lower intensity. I'm finding it hard to do that! Its good to hear other people are dealing with these feelings too - and winning!

I've been at this for over 5 years and still feel guilty when I don't workout for a couple days in a row and I am always terrified that I won't go back. I had hip surgery several years ago and could not work out for 6 weeks. I was not afraid to have the surgery, I was more afraid that I would never go back to working out.

• jennfeustel123
    jennfeustel123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 15# and I'm terrified I'll go back to where I was!! Once you get fed up, I think that (most of the time) good kind of fear sets in!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!