Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• vggbvggb Posts: 61Member Member Posts: 61Member Member
    sorchestra wrote: »
    That when you lose weight by dieting, that diet needs to become a permanent thing to keep the weight off. Maybe not exactly that diet, but if your caloric needs are 2500, and you lose 50 lbs, your caloric needs are going to be much lower, probably around 2000-2100, so, either you need to begin eating a lower amount of food permanently, or actually consistently exercise.

tl;dr dieting is not a one time occurrence, once it's started, it has to continue. You will never be able to go back to your old habits.

This is me, and I'm just getting to the new eating is now the way or "old habit" B)
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,425Member Member Posts: 12,425Member Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    I'm scared of maintenance. I'm still 35ish pounds away but I think I'll have to continue tracking. It's so easy to go from 1600 to 2000, it's a blueberry muffin at Panera. I know that I gained back half of the weight I lost the first time. I do NOT want to do that again. It's harder and slower losing at almost 50 than it was when I was in my 30s...

I'm finding daily weight tracking helpful in this regard. I did it while I was losing as well, so I'm used to my standard fluctuations. Now when I see my trend creeping up, I can easily adjust to get back to where I want to be.
  • kenyonhaffkenyonhaff Posts: 1,153Member Member Posts: 1,153Member Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    I'm scared of maintenance. I'm still 35ish pounds away but I think I'll have to continue tracking. It's so easy to go from 1600 to 2000, it's a blueberry muffin at Panera. I know that I gained back half of the weight I lost the first time. I do NOT want to do that again. It's harder and slower losing at almost 50 than it was when I was in my 30s...

Maintenance can seem daunting but you will quickly fall into a rhythm of continuously making healthy choices and intuitively eating foods that allow you to have more volume for your calories. And yes, you will eventually find a balance where you are able to remain healthy but allow yourself a little room in your calories for treats.

There are days where I waste an entire 500 calories on a frappaccino from Starbucks or Moka. But the rest of my day is carefully constructed around that so that I still hit my macros and I never feel guilty about it. It can be scary at first, but as you get used to it, it becomes second nature. It's not any different than tracking your food now, except you have more calories to work with. You'll find that balance.

Yeah I hear you. But the thing is, it's not so much a change from your weight loss plan than you might think. And you've established some good habits by then. I still log in...ok maybe not completely but being aware of my eating every day has kept me on track 2 years later!
  • Neightyre29Neightyre29 Posts: 47Member Member Posts: 47Member Member
    My underwear falling off. I don't want to buy new underwear yet, as I'm averaging a 2-3 lb loss per week... so I'm stuck with droopy drawers I have to surreptitiously hike up all day long.

This is great and a nightmare right?!
  • IsETHomeIsETHome Posts: 267Member Member Posts: 267Member Member
    My underwear falling off. I don't want to buy new underwear yet, as I'm averaging a 2-3 lb loss per week... so I'm stuck with droopy drawers I have to surreptitiously hike up all day long.

GO buy a pack of 2 sizes down, you will feel much better :)
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,425Member Member Posts: 12,425Member Member
    I replaced underwear 3 or 4 times through 55 pounds of weight loss. I can't stand wearing saggy undies! Agree with getting the multi pack of fruit of the loom or similar. No sense investing in fancy frills until you're done :wink:
  • ScareahScareah Posts: 40Member Member Posts: 40Member Member
    I can't wait to get to that level!! Thanks for sharing!!