Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• smantha32smantha32 Posts: 6,954Member Member Posts: 6,954Member Member
    Nobody told me I would be grossed out by my veiny feet! I'm exaggerating a bit but I was shocked by all the veins the other day LOL!

You can get the appearance reduced with laser treatments. My legs got really veiny a few years ago. I did it at a spa and it only cost 250. You can barely see them now. It was good money spent.
  • IsETHomeIsETHome Posts: 267Member Member Posts: 267Member Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    smiliekiwi wrote: »
    I heard recently that 80% of thin people did not have to work at it.
    We have different metabolisms and born into different lifestyles. I don’t think we should take the blame for how we got there .. but definitely take the credit for losing it and huge kudos for keeping it off ( the Biggest Loser never had a reunion show for a reason)

I was thin all my life and never had to work at it UNTIL my mid-40s. Went up two sizes that year and then another size the following year. Accepted it as the natural progression of getting older. Wore bigger sizes for at least 8 years (didn’t even diet for my wedding). Finally faced my 162-pound self (I’m 5’4.5” ) and was aghast when I looked at the pictures. Lost 27 pounds. Gained 10 back. Lost 5. Am now trying to lose again. It can become a real struggle EVEN for those who were previously thin!

Perspective ...your fat weight is my goal weight and I’m only an inch taller....oh my!!! Sigh....

• IsETHomeIsETHome Posts: 267Member Member Posts: 267Member Member
    Fat brain has a long shelf life.

I decided to start running and went out Saturday and got professionally fitted for shoes. Clerk got down on ground and took a video of my gait, from behind, thighs down to feet, and played it back for me, so she could show me how my feet land, if they pronate, etc.

I thought she had replayed the wrong video and wanted to argue with her til I realized the woman in the video was wearing my shoes and socks.

That was the strangest sensation. Out of body, almost. Like, my brain was saying “hahaha, you know that can’t be you, fat *kitten*. Dream on!” while my eyes were saying, “but who else could it be?”

We are our own worst enemies.

Nice moment of realization of your achievements thus far - well done.
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 4,214Member Member Posts: 4,214Member Member
    I love my veins now! When I was obese I had tiny veins. When I had my ovarian torsion they were trying to give me morphine and couldn’t find a vein and ended up giving it intramuscularly because I was literally screaming in pain! I think having big veins feeding into my muscles is cool. I have a really big one in my upper arm that only pops when I lift weights.
  • BethanyL2019BethanyL2019 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I've only just started, but one thing I've noticed right off the bat is how much BETTER I sleep at night. With my old diet I'd wake up really thirsty, or sweating- or would just lie awake from the sugar. Now I wake up much better!
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,422Member Member Posts: 12,422Member Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?
  • appledawn0422appledawn0422 Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.

Wow!! I didn't realize that's why I go on the handicapped stall.

I just had the exact same realization!
  • BattyKnitterBattyKnitter Posts: 502Member Member Posts: 502Member Member
    That the only body part I loved when I was fat (my boobs) would be my least favourite now (so deflated!) This happened the last time I lost weight and time + chest exercises helped perk things up a bit but this was 8 years ago, I am older now and not sure my skin is still as elastic.

My butt too is sad now but I know with weight lifting it can be back to it's nice rounded shape eventually.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 1,710Member Member Posts: 1,710Member Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?

I didn't always eat well, but there were long periods where I was overeating good, nutritious food, and my colds were just as bad.

I spent years believing I was somehow pathetic, judging from how people reacted to my taking days off work for a cold. I didn't realise that other people just weren't suffering the same level of illness.