What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Nobody told me I would be grossed out by my veiny feet! I'm exaggerating a bit but I was shocked by all the veins the other day LOL!
    For me it’s my neck.
    Me too!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Nobody told me I would be grossed out by my veiny feet! I'm exaggerating a bit but I was shocked by all the veins the other day LOL!

O M G... THIS. This, so much, lol. I don't remember my feet being this veiny before I piled on 80+ lbs. of fat, either. Because I know they weren't. Makes me want to go through and see if I have any pictures from back when I was 140 lbs. of my feet to compare the extent of it, lol.

I mean, I understand the physiology behind the expansion of the vasculature in adipose tissue via angiogenesis just fine conceptually. But to see it on myself? Freaky deaky, man...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

You can get the appearance reduced with laser treatments. My legs got really veiny a few years ago. I did it at a spa and it only cost 250. You can barely see them now. It was good money spent.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Fat brain has a long shelf life.

I decided to start running and went out Saturday and got professionally fitted for shoes. Clerk got down on ground and took a video of my gait, from behind, thighs down to feet, and played it back for me, so she could show me how my feet land, if they pronate, etc.

I thought she had replayed the wrong video and wanted to argue with her til I realized the woman in the video was wearing my shoes and socks.

That was the strangest sensation. Out of body, almost. Like, my brain was saying “hahaha, you know that can’t be you, fat *kitten*. Dream on!” while my eyes were saying, “but who else could it be?”

We are our own worst enemies.

Nice moment of realization of your achievements thus far - well done.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?
  • appledawn0422
    appledawn0422 Posts: 31 Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.

Wow!! I didn't realize that's why I go on the handicapped stall.

I just had the exact same realization!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!