I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Read what the OP just posted above. You're missing the point. And jesting about a group that spends their days admonishing others with warnings about how they're going to die of cancer because they're eating [insert your choice of demon-food here] is time well spent. I've been here long enough to know that many absolutely refuse to listen to peer-reviewed scientific studies from pubmed or other sources. What they will listen to is scaremongering from the likes of Dr. Oz. and Taubes. Once someone rejects science in favor of a "belief" that the boogeyman really is in that food, I lose all respect for them. And yes, that is plenty fair.

This. Every food has inherent risks and potential benefits. Most of the TRUE risks in food are completely natural and related to either microbes or chemicals inherent to the food (such as those produced/remaining from raw or not ripe foods).

Preservatives in many ready to eat foods are solutions to a bigger (potential)problem with food than they are problem causes themselves. That said, most of that same food is crap nutritionally, but it's safe to eat.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmbdu00FvG1rlyseko1_500.gif

There is a lot of irony that you would use Homey the Clown as your depiction. Homey always talked about not falling into the trap(s) of "The Man". In his case white folk of power. For clean eaters, they really see corporate conglomerates who buy the cheapest "food products" and market them like you Mother made it in a kitchen instead of the lab they were born, as the evil 'Man'. While I don't eat completely clean because I think it falls to an extreme, I think you are also a bit commercialized and blinded to the real message of clean eating.

But whatever. Fact is, it is a personal choice and either extreme will continue to villify the other to make their own choices justified.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    if i want rice, i eat rice. if i want an apple, i eat an apple. if i want a piece of pumpkin pie, i eat a piece of pumpkin pie. i don't eat the whole pie. this is how you lose weight and get fit. you don't do it by adhering to lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods.

Not sure the OP understands what "eating clean" actually means. :huh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The thing about this website is that day in and day out, people post threads about how GMOs are going to kill us, about how Wheat Belly is going to make us all sick, how me eating something from McDonald's means I don't care about my health. THAT is nonsense, and that is what is frustrating to OP and a whole lot of others.

I have gotten many PMs from people who have admonished me about making comments in clean eating threads because I had cancer once upon a time. I've had people tell me "shame on you" for eating some ice cream here and there and enjoying a Double Whopper that fit perfectly into my macros. I can't say I've ever sent a PM to a clean eater telling them they're going to go postal and binge on 300 chicken nuggets or eat an entire box of Entenmann's chocolate coated donuts some day. But it doesn't stop people from feeling like they have the right to PM me about my eating habits (which are pretty close to impeccable) just because they disagreed with something I wrote in a thread.

I'd put my diet up against anyone's in a heart beat. Do I buy organic? No way. Do I eat at Burger King? Sure do. Do I do it all the time? Of course not. Point is, I'm not going to deprive myself of anything. I just figure out a way to balance a major splurge with a cilantro salad or something.

And likewise, I have had people wave pizza pics in my face or scorn someone in the threads who said that they were trying to resist a piece of cake at the office. It goes both ways. I don't mind people calling out "clean eaters" if they are being jerks... but own up to the IIFYMers being jerks as well.

How does someone wave pizza in your face on MFP? You mean someone posted a picture of pizza in a thread? Or suggested that it isn't an evil food? Or told you that if you only have 1 slice it will likely fit into your diet? Or with regard to the cake, told someone to go ahead and have a small piece to be social with their co-workers? You're comparing that to PMs literally telling people "shame on you" for eating regular food? Or people scare mongering about cancer? Really?

Seriously? It's not "scare mongering" its what they truly believe. Yes. I am comparing the two. You can make one sound like a worser evil.. but both would be wrong. If someone truly feels the need to resist cake and feels the need to post about it on here (I, personally, wouldn't) then why tell her how she just needs to eat it and be social? I agree that "shame on you" PM's about food is wrong, but equally wrong is the jesting that takes place at the clean eaters expense (or anyones expense.)

Read what the OP just posted above. You're missing the point. And jesting about a group that spends their days admonishing others with warnings about how they're going to die of cancer because they're eating [insert your choice of demon-food here] is time well spent. I've been here long enough to know that many absolutely refuse to listen to peer-reviewed scientific studies from pubmed or other sources. What they will listen to is scaremongering from the likes of Dr. Oz. and Taubes. Once someone rejects science in favor of a "belief" that the boogeyman really is in that food, I lose all respect for them. And yes, that is plenty fair.

What is your science? You are just trusting in another man's science and using your own logic to decide what you believe in FAITH that its true. That's exactly what clean eaters are doing; putting faith in another man's science.

anything that survives the peer review process is almost by definition, real science. the goal of peer review is to try to show that somebody else's conclusions are right, partially right, or wrong. books with fanciful claims that are not peer-reviewed? not science. studies that undergo rigorous and open peer review by established standards implemented by professional associations? science.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if i want rice, i eat rice. if i want an apple, i eat an apple. if i want a piece of pumpkin pie, i eat a piece of pumpkin pie. i don't eat the whole pie. this is how you lose weight and get fit. you don't do it by adhering to lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods.

OP is not sure anyone understands what "eating clean" actually means.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

LOL! I didn't even notice this! I make a pretty awesome "clean" pumpkin pie!
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat as long as you hit macros and food has been prepared in a way that follows safety standards. And thats a fact. All this eat clean nonsense is ridiculous.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dude, people keep posting this but still no one has posted a definition of what "eating clean" is. What gives?

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'd suggest all the clean eaters draft and post their own specific definitions of what "clean eating" means. I'd love to watch that discussion. Better in another thread though as I suspect there are as many definitions as clean eaters.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The fact that this thread is still going is making me stabby.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

I'd suggest all the clean eaters draft and post their own specific definitions of what "clean eating" means. I'd love to watch that discussion. Better in another thread though as I suspect there are as many definitions as clean eaters.

just make your own stuff it tastes better than store bought any ways I hate store bought pies and cookies blah
  • whierd
    Options

just make your own stuff it tastes better than store bought any ways I hate store bought pies and cookies blah

If someone used the reasoning that food from scratch is cheaper and often tastes better, it would be an argument I can get on board with.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

LOL! I didn't even notice this! I make a pretty awesome "clean" pumpkin pie!

Recipe please!! :flowerforyou:
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I buy my rotisiree chicken from the supermarket every two days and its damn delicious, cheap, and no time involved.

If someone used the reasoning that food from scratch is cheaper and often tastes better, it would be an argument I can get on board with.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

LOL No lie- I never tell people that I eat clean, because I have no clue where people draw the line. All of my groceries are normally organic and I make most things from scratch cause I like to feel like Suzy Homemaker. If I want pizza, I make it using organic ingredients, pie... cookies... fresh bread in my breadmaker anything really... and I eat like that if it fits in my macros.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmbdu00FvG1rlyseko1_500.gif

i worry about calories and macros (and micros) and don't worry what any self-appointed food shamers have to say about anything... ever.

i see lots of people on this site wear "how clean their diet is" as a badge of honor. it's not. it just means you've been hoodwinked into thinking that your success/failure is fully tied up in your food choices. it's not.

maybe i'm too easily irritated this morning, but i'm just sick of seeing people get sucked up into this fad (and related ones) and lose sight of the big picture in the process.
    ^^^^^ this yeah and well said, also goes for those that do not eat meat...I eat meat...I love meat...veggies and grains feed my meat..I am good!!!:laugh:
  • meeper123
    Options

Exactly plus you can make it a lot more that way for 1/2 the price that premade stuff isn't cheap!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

That's an interesting definition. Anyone want to elaborate on that?

Let's use pumpkin pie as an example because it was mentioned earlier.

What if the pumpkin pie was made fresh in the store's bakery? Is that better than the Mrs. Smith's in the freezer section? Or are they both "unclean"?

Does pumpkin pie made at home out of a can and with a store bought crust qualify?

Is it okay if you buy the flour, pumpkins and milk at the store and put it together at home?

What about the sugar? Is white sugar okay?

And white flour. Is white flour clean?

Does one need to grow their own pumpkins, milk their own cow, and grow and grind their own grain?

Wait! Is flour itself clean? Or is wheat not clean because it has to be milled?

Are non-organic pumpkins okay?

Is milk itself okay? If milk is okay does it need to be from organic fed cows with no hormones?
  • whierd
    Options

What if the pumpkin pie was made fresh in the store's bakery? Is that better than the Mrs. Smith's in the freezer section? Or are they both "unclean"?

Does pumpkin pie made at home out of a can and with a store bought crust qualify?

Is it okay if you buy the flour, pumpkins and milk at the store and put it together at home?

Does one need to grow their own pumpkins, milk their own cow, and grow and grind their own grain?

Is milk itself okay? If milk is okay does it need to be from organic fed cows with no hormones?

Great question. Where is the line drawn and who makes that detemination?
  • meeper123
    Options

Trust me I use to work for Mrs. Smith's pie factory it was not a pretty place. I don't use flour or milk farmers markets are a great place to start and you are being a bit over the top eh? Most people just do their bests :flowerforyou: You like to argue don't you :bigsmile: