I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmbdu00FvG1rlyseko1_500.gif

i worry about calories and macros (and micros) and don't worry what any self-appointed food shamers have to say about anything... ever.

i see lots of people on this site wear "how clean their diet is" as a badge of honor. it's not. it just means you've been hoodwinked into thinking that your success/failure is fully tied up in your food choices. it's not.

if i want rice, i eat rice. if i want an apple, i eat an apple. if i want a piece of pumpkin pie, i eat a piece of pumpkin pie. i don't eat the whole pie. this is how you lose weight and get fit. you don't do it by adhering to lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods.

maybe i'm too easily irritated this morning, but i'm just sick of seeing people get sucked up into this fad (and related ones) and lose sight of the big picture in the process.

call people food shamers, then go on and bash anyone that does something different than you.

Sounds about right, on this site.

OP: If you don't want to "eat clean," don't. If other people do...how does this affect you? Unless you are living with them and eating meals together, why worry so much about others? I personally don't eat very "clean" but I certainly wouldn't judge my many friends who do...their eating habits don't affect me!

i'm not judging the people. i'm judging the mindset/concept and the current prevalence of this concept in the media today. it does have a real affect on lots of folks who have spent years yo-yo dieting. now they have this new clean (or paleo or primal or whatever) regimen bandwagon to jump on that teaches them that anything that comes from a box MUST be avoided. how is that helfpul? how is that in anyway supported by real science?

ETA: i do judge the people who write books to promote it and try to make a quick buck off of it. in that sense you are correct.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with my success... I just don't want to eat foods processed in a lab.... our bodies are NOT meant to process that crap!!

Just an example.... did you know that Pringles contain one of the SAME chemicals they use to perm hair?? Yep... you eat perm.... (along with 12 other additives created in a lab)

OH and doritios contain Red #40.... and Red #40 uses a type of bat poop to get it's color... yep... bat poop....

There are so many things wrong with this post that I do not know where to begin.

Let's hear them... I get my info from a nutritionist....

Ok, let us begin with the glaringly obvious.

Insinuating that because Pringles use some of the same chemicals used in hair perms, thus making Pringles "icky", is worthless without stating what those chemicals are. Some pesticides contain water. Is water unhealthy?

Why is bat poop unhealthy? Do you realize that poop is sprayed on organic vegetables as a fertilizer?

Logic. It can be scary.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with my success... I just don't want to eat foods processed in a lab.... our bodies are NOT meant to process that crap!!

Just an example.... did you know that Pringles contain one of the SAME chemicals they use to perm hair?? Yep... you eat perm.... (along with 12 other additives created in a lab)

OH and doritios contain Red #40.... and Red #40 uses a type of bat poop to get it's color... yep... bat poop....

Good thing I don't eat pringles or doritios then (Cause they're disgusting), while still maintaining my deliciously 'dirty' diet. Also good thing I'm perfectly healthy while sucking down enough sugar and salt to make some of the people on MFP pass out from pure shock. Still there is a lot of space between "Eating clean" and 'Eating doritios' I think. I could be wrong.

I keep my diary friends only because of the so called clean eaters. I mentioned I wanted a bacon burger from Wendy's once and was told I should see a Doctor because my blood pressure was probably through the roof and blahblah. Cause of a burger. A singular burger, on a day where I'd had a sensible omelet with veggies and cheese, a protein shake and bar, grilled chicken with asparagus, some ten glasses of water, and a grapefruit. (Never mind the fact my blood pressure tends to skew low. That gentlemen wasn't aware of that, so I won't hold it against him.) I've also been told I'm probably pre diabetic (I'm not.) an that my weight loss won't be sustained (Because counting calories and working out is unsustainable just because I don't eat clean? Gee.) All three of these incidents were in threads that A. Weren't about me and B. were unrelated to food.

By contrast I've never seen anyone jump on a person and go "What? You eat clean organic food? What a moron" in an otherwise unrelated thread.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey, I feel the same as you! Well, I just really don't care, and no, I will not succumb to this "fad." The irony - people 'think' they're clean eating, when in reality, they have NO CLUE what's in the 'good food' they are eating... People need to pay attention to all labels and educate their selves, then they wouldn't act so vulnerable.

I used to avoid particular foods for a couple years (due to my anxiety disorder), but then it donned on me that all stores/restaurants gather their supplies from the same vendors in particular areas. So, unless you have buku bucks to splurge on pricey foods, you're doomed and might as well give up on the whole clean eating thing...
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    if i want rice, i eat rice. if i want an apple, i eat an apple. if i want a piece of pumpkin pie, i eat a piece of pumpkin pie. i don't eat the whole pie. this is how you lose weight and get fit. you don't do it by adhering to lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods.

Not sure the OP understands what "eating clean" actually means. :huh:

OP is not sure anyone understands what "eating clean" actually means.

I'd suggest all the clean eaters draft and post their own specific definitions of what "clean eating" means. I'd love to watch that discussion. Better in another thread though as I suspect there are as many definitions as clean eaters.

LOL No lie- I never tell people that I eat clean, because I have no clue where people draw the line. All of my groceries are normally organic and I make most things from scratch cause I like to feel like Suzy Homemaker. If I want pizza, I make it using organic ingredients, pie... cookies... fresh bread in my breadmaker anything really... and I eat like that if it fits in my macros.

this reminds me of the people who claim that they hate TV and never watch it, but only have a TV set in their house for the few times a year they want to watch something on PBS. i call shenanigans on this whole mindset that organic is better than non organic. everything you eat is organic (at least i can't think of any food that isn't, or it wouldn't be food). a bunch of hippies can't come along and steal the meaning of that word just to make a few extra bucks selling their tomatoes or spaghetti made from hemp. same thing with making everything from scratch... or having your own breadmaker... or whatever. it all smacks of some sort of elitism being applied to food... that what's in your food or how/where/when its made somehow can make one food better than another.

It's not so much that I eat organically for what's not it in (chemicals) but I eat it for the good stuff that I know is in it. I like the control that I have in cooking my own food.. I can control the macros that I eat in each meal and its just as easy for me to buy organic as it is to not buy unorganic. I buy organic chemical free meats because I read a book on how some of the bigger chains mistreat the animals. The book was trying to convice me to be a vegetarian... but instead I just buy organic. I buy organic fruits and veggies to support my local farmers market and because it's cheaper.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmbdu00FvG1rlyseko1_500.gif

i worry about calories and macros (and micros) and don't worry what any self-appointed food shamers have to say about anything... ever.

i see lots of people on this site wear "how clean their diet is" as a badge of honor. it's not. it just means you've been hoodwinked into thinking that your success/failure is fully tied up in your food choices. it's not.

maybe i'm too easily irritated this morning, but i'm just sick of seeing people get sucked up into this fad (and related ones) and lose sight of the big picture in the process.

call people food shamers, then go on and bash anyone that does something different than you.

Sounds about right, on this site.

<3
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    your body is like a car! if you don't take care of it, it will fall apart!!!!! Maintenance-maintenance-maintenance!!! come on keep eating the way you are and you'lll be wishing you had of been one to get hooked on that so called "fad" you said. It's common sense!

Except that the American lifespan has steadily increased since "processed, unclean foods" have become popular.

this is incorrect.... the CDC stated late last year that the babies born now are predicted to have a shorter life span than those born in the 1920's. Maybe you should do your research....

Predictions are worthless in the face of hard numbers. Those people born in the 20s are living longer than people born in the 1800s despite having eaten modern foods.

Also, the saying goes is that the first person to live to 150 has already been born, but I dont have time to cite a source.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My mother is a fabulous baker. She uses a breadmaker for the same reasons...and her bread is the BOMB! Way better than store-bought. I don't like bread that much but I LOVE hers. She's not a hippie and not "elitist," she likes to bake and it's simply home-made food.

Plus freshly baked (or baking) bread is one of the most heavenly smells you will ever smell.

I like my bread machine for the same reason I like my crock pot....

I can come home from work, a run, day trip, whatever.. and have it waiting for me, freshly cooked if I'm not late getting in. My bread machine is capable of having the bread be done in 13 hours if I need to wait that long, and my crockpot switches over to "keep warm" after the end of the timed cooking.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you ate clean you wouldn't be so grouchy in the morning.

Good One!!! :cheers:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If your gonna post a gif of Homey Da Clown use the animated one!!

tumblr_ltumkqU1X61qdlcfjo1_400.gif

I think thats bleached / processed white flour in there. Totally dirty. Baaaaaaaad Homie

Thanks for making me laugh, definitely needed it.
  • michelepulley
    Options
    I eat clean 95% of the time meaning organic fruits and vegetables and organic lean meats. However, if I want chicken wings or a burger I split it with my husband. I could not maintain clean eating 100% of the time because I enjoy foods that are not the best for me. One cheat meal a week is okay.
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In all fairness I eat clean and still enjoy my food. I don't obsess about it, I just do the best I can.

The benefits of eating clean for me, along with adequate exercise are 40 lbs lost, my migraines are much more rare and fewer respiratory infections.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    your body is like a car! if you don't take care of it, it will fall apart!!!!! Maintenance-maintenance-maintenance!!! come on keep eating the way you are and you'lll be wishing you had of been one to get hooked on that so called "fad" you said. It's common sense!

Except that the American lifespan has steadily increased since "processed, unclean foods" have become popular.

this is incorrect.... the CDC stated late last year that the babies born now are predicted to have a shorter life span than those born in the 1920's. Maybe you should do your research....

Odd, the CDC doesn't agree with that. I wonder if it's "the man". Or maybe Monsanto. Or Lucifer?

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_03.pdf
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well, you dont usually eat pringles / fast food on a diet since its high fat and high carb, double whammy + insulin spike, makes you even more hungry. What makes you gain weight is the hunger issues with insulin (aka overindulging)... but if you can handle the urges and hit your macros, absolutely no diff. Even with your bacon cheesburger.

If someone could invent a product to control insulin after eating fast food, that be heaven.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I'd suggest all the clean eaters draft and post their own specific definitions of what "clean eating" means. I'd love to watch that discussion. Better in another thread though as I suspect there are as many definitions as clean eaters.

LOL No lie- I never tell people that I eat clean, because I have no clue where people draw the line. All of my groceries are normally organic and I make most things from scratch cause I like to feel like Suzy Homemaker. If I want pizza, I make it using organic ingredients, pie... cookies... fresh bread in my breadmaker anything really... and I eat like that if it fits in my macros.

this reminds me of the people who claim that they hate TV and never watch it, but only have a TV set in their house for the few times a year they want to watch something on PBS. i call shenanigans on this whole mindset that organic is better than non organic. everything you eat is organic (at least i can't think of any food that isn't, or it wouldn't be food). a bunch of hippies can't come along and steal the meaning of that word just to make a few extra bucks selling their tomatoes or spaghetti made from hemp. same thing with making everything from scratch... or having your own breadmaker... or whatever. it all smacks of some sort of elitism being applied to food... that what's in your food or how/where/when its made somehow can make one food better than another.

I use a breadmaker because kneading dough is a PITA and it is convenient for rising unless I want a specific bread type.

it's not eating homemade bread that i was objecting to. it's announcing to everyone that it's homemade bread. i'm just pointing out that even that lady that posted that has allowed some of that mindset to creep into how she describes her food.

if i invited you over for dinner and told you we were having spaghetti and meatballs (meal A), you wouldn't think twice.

if i invited you over for dinner and told you we were having gluten free pasta, locally grown organic tomato sauce, and free-range beef meatballs (meal B), wouldn't you think for a second why i felt the need to add those superfluous adjectives? well, i think some people believe that meal B is inherently better than meal A, and thus you're more virtuous for eating meal B
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. People take it a bit excessively, I think. I couldn't imagine focusing 98% of my life on what I'm putting in my mouth and whether it's natural, organic, 'clean', vegan, raw, WHATEVER. It's food. ****ing eat it.
  • ReddHott77
    ReddHott77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have truly enjoyed this laugh today. Thank you!!!!!:laugh:
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

just make your own stuff it tastes better than store bought any ways I hate store bought pies and cookies blah

That's an interesting definition. Anyone want to elaborate on that?

What if the pumpkin pie was made fresh in the store's bakery? Is that better than the Mrs. Smith's in the freezer section? Or are they both "unclean"? Nah.

Does pumpkin pie made at home out of a can and with a store bought crust qualify? You can make your own

Is it okay if you buy the flour, pumpkins and milk at the store and put it together at home? why not do it at home

What about the sugar? Is white sugar okay? truvia

And white flour. Is white flour clean? Brown Rice flower

Does one need to grow their own pumpkins, milk their own cow, and grow and grind their own grain? almond milk is good, find grains and pumkins at farmers markets

Wait! Is flour itself clean? Or is wheat not clean because it has to be milled? its just as easy to by coconut flour as it is regular flour.

Are non-organic pumpkins okay?yep... because you don't eat the outside.

Is milk itself okay? If milk is okay does it need to be from organic fed cows with no hormones? almond milk bro!

See answers above.

Interesting. Anything other than one word answers or explanation as to why milk, wheat and sugar are not clean? Or this your "belief" again? First off, I haven't called anything unclean.. This is just how I do it. I'm okay with having people disagree, this is discussion.

Any explanation of why almond milk is clean but not milk that is taken right out of a cow? Almond milk...milk right out of a cow.. tomato tomata.

Any explanation of why truvia is clean but sugar is not? Truvia is just ground up plant leaves. Again.. I haven't called anything unclean.

Have you ever eaten brown rice flowers? LOL flour.. that was a mistype
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mn6k66jTL11sn5h8so1_500.gif

Brainyburro....I like you.

tumblr_mno4wutGQl1rvqg49o1_500.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

It's not so much that I eat organically for what's not it in (chemicals) but I eat it for the good stuff that I know is in it. I like the control that I have in cooking my own food.. I can control the macros that I eat in each meal and its just as easy for me to buy organic as it is to not buy unorganic. I buy organic chemical free meats because I read a book on how some of the bigger chains mistreat the animals. The book was trying to convice me to be a vegetarian... but instead I just buy organic. I buy organic fruits and veggies to support my local farmers market and because it's cheaper.

Same here. Cooking from scratch gives one the control over what and how much of each ingredient is used. For example salt, I do not need to eat food that is so salty that my body retains fluid for days.