I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    In 2006 I was on year 15 of an auto-immune disease that was eating me alive...At the advice of a doctor I began to eat "clean" about 90% of the time, as well as getting rid of many chemicals in my environment....shampoo, make-up, cleaning supplies, laundry soap...etc etc...and replacing them with chemical free alternatives....after all our skin is our bodies largest organ...within 3 months of doing this all my blood labs were closer to normal than they had ever been...Prior to doing this I was getting 3 IV's a week, 2 injections etc etc...the meds I was on just to keep things cleaned up and semi -functional was astounding....on month 4, (march 2007) I had my last injection.....listening to all that "HYPE" saved my life.
    As for why I am here...cause I know it will be brought up.....it don't mater how clean you eat, if it's 3 or 4 thousand calories a day...you get fat!

an auto-immune problem is an entirely different issue than what i posted about. if you had become sensitive to foods or products that you were coming into contact with, then that's a different thread and different subject matter. for example, i would tell anyone listening that they shouldn't be afraid to eat peanut butter because it's not bad for them. if somebody then jumped in and said, "NO! i am allergic to peanuts and might die!", then obviously they have a special issue and are the exception to the rule. the rule is still valid, but it's obviously left unstated that some specific foods may not be appropriate for some people for entirely unrelated medical reasons.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU ALL STILL HERE?

I just got back. Had to dry out my sandwich. Did I miss anything?

Just a bunch of clean eating types jumping up and down, red faced, that someone dared eat a potato chip without following up with hours of self flagellation and feelings of remorse.

<crunch, crunch, crunch>

Chips, you say?

How do you keep your chips crunchy in the shower?

Swirched to the tub. Only practical thing to do. Got a large rubber duckie that holds the chip bowl.

Clean eating!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean. Mmmmmm... pop tarts :heart:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In for "fit picks"

006aa583-7007-4ebf-8eef-673876228bcd_zps9d9db2f4.jpg
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In 2006 I was on year 15 of an auto-immune disease that was eating me alive...At the advice of a doctor I began to eat "clean" about 90% of the time, as well as getting rid of many chemicals in my environment....shampoo, make-up, cleaning supplies, laundry soap...etc etc...and replacing them with chemical free alternatives....after all our skin is our bodies largest organ...within 3 months of doing this all my blood labs were closer to normal than they had ever been...Prior to doing this I was getting 3 IV's a week, 2 injections etc etc...the meds I was on just to keep things cleaned up and semi -functional was astounding....on month 4, (march 2007) I had my last injection.....listening to all that "HYPE" saved my life.
    As for why I am here...cause I know it will be brought up.....it don't mater how clean you eat, if it's 3 or 4 thousand calories a day...you get fat!

an auto-immune problem is an entirely different issue than what i posted about. if you had become sensitive to foods or products that you were coming into contact with, then that's a different thread and different subject matter. for example, i would tell anyone listening that they shouldn't be afraid to eat peanut butter because it's not bad for them. if somebody then jumped in and said, "NO! i am allergic to peanuts and might die!", then obviously they have a special issue and are the exception to the rule. the rule is still valid, but it's obviously left unstated that some specific foods may not be appropriate for some people for entirely unrelated medical reasons.

Not to mention the 90% part of her comment. That gets right to the root of the issue. None of us are living on chips and Oreos. We just don't parade our "clean" diets around and tell everyone else they're going to be stricken with cancer. And, for the record, a couple of cancers are diet related but for most there is no evidence of such a connection. What we are saying is pay attention to your diet, but a little ice cream and a pop tart aren't going to sabotage your efforts if they fit into a well thought out plan.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

Not to mention the 90% part of her comment. That gets right to the root of the issue. None of us are living on chips and Oreos. We just don't parade our "clean" diets around and tell everyone else they're going to be stricken with cancer. And, for the record, a couple of cancers are diet related but for most there is no evidence of such a connection. What we are saying is pay attention to your diet, but a little ice cream and a pop tart aren't going to sabotage your efforts if they fit into a well thought out plan.

...and what i would add is that if anyone has a little ice cream or a pop tart, that is nothing to feel shame or guilt about. in fact, having a little ice cream or a pop tart when you want it is a good way to avoid obsessing about ice cream and pop tarts and binging on a whole carton or box of them a week later.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, this thing rolled...

The reason I have the "I Fight Cancer" shirt on in my profile pic is that I lost a good friend and mentor to cancer last year.

When he was diagnosed, he switched to an all-organic vegan diet that fits even the strictest definition of "clean eating." Perhaps it helped extend his life by a few months... I don't know. But it certainly did nothing to put the disease in remission.

I'm happy to hear that others had different experiences... though I'd be curious to know what other treatments they were doing for their cancers.

I also don't believe that everyone who eats processed foods is destined to get cancer. I know people who have lived on them all their lives (and I do mean *all their lives*, formula from the can and baby food from the jar and all) and they are completely cancer free. I'll be Exhibit A.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

...and what i would add is that if anyone has a little ice cream or a pop tart, that is nothing to feel shame or guilt about. in fact, having a little ice cream or a pop tart when you want it is a good way to avoid obsessing about ice cream and pop tarts and binging on a whole carton or box of them a week later.

What about ice cream ON a poptart? That sounds heavenly.

P.S. I'm not a clean eater. I am a eat whatever I want within reason eater.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

Magerum is in charge of all threads/posts/questions on that subject.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

The reason I have the "I Fight Cancer" shirt on in my profile pic is that I lost a good friend and mentor to cancer last year.

When he was diagnosed, he switched to an all-organic vegan diet that fits even the strictest definition of "clean eating." Perhaps it helped extend his life by a few months... I don't know. But it certainly did nothing to put the disease in remission.

I'm happy to hear that others had different experiences... though I'd be curious to know what other treatments they were doing for their cancers.

I also don't believe that everyone who eats processed foods is destined to get cancer. I know people who have lived on them all their lives (and I do mean *all their lives*, formula from the can and baby food from the jar and all) and they are completely cancer free. I'll be Exhibit A.

I find it crazy that cancer has come up so many times in this thread... I try to eat clean, but I never give 2 thoughts to doing it because I don't want to get cancer. I eat clean because I like the way it makes me feel and I like how it makes my skin look. If I am going to get cancer, man, I'm going to get cancer. What would I do if I drove myself crazy everyday avoiding certain foods so that I wouldn't get cancer, only to find that I got cancer anyways?
    I do believe that there are great health benefits to eating clean, but some things are just out of our control.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

When my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, the first person I called was my aunt. She is a leading research scientist on the ties between cancer and nutrition. She received her Ph.d from Harvard at a time when she had to design her own program for this because it was such a novel idea. She has since then devoted her career to this exact link, with work both in the private sector and for the NIH. She has said to me on more than one occasion that it was frustrating work. The hope was that it would be key to many cancers, but it is not. Take BRCA1 and 2, for example. Those are genetic, not lifestyle, triggers. She told my wife to do what she has always told me to do, eat a well balanced diet, don't worry about food substitutions (if you want sugar then eat sugar just don't binge on it, for example), make sure her diet is rich in a variety of vegetables, lean meats, fatty fish, nuts, whole grains and dairy, eat less "junk food," enjoy some wine, and exercise daily. But at the end of the day, her advice was to find a surgeon and a oncologist who are damn good and with whom she could place her trust. Modern medicine provides the best chance of survival, not a vegan or any other diet. The most shocking thing we learned is that my wife shouldn't eat grapefruit and beets because they interfere with the chemo.

The reality is that I've lived this approach my entire life and my wife has too. We both became overweight for a short period of time from too many calories. I can't emphasize enough that in all of this, that we do eat a very well balanced diet, but it does include pizza, chicken wings, ice cream, and even the occasional fast food hamburger and milk shake. By no means though does any of that form the core. And I will never be so bold as to tell anyone that I eat "clean." And I personally find that the food substitutions that are made to perfectly good food border on the absurd. There just doesn't seem to be any justification for thinking almonds make better milk than cows, for example. The human diet varies from culture to culture and from person to person. We are omnivores. There are always incremental improvements that can be made, but the holier than thou, "I eat clean" and "food is evil" crowd needs to step back and look at the big picture.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, the first person I called was my aunt. She is a leading research scientist on the ties between cancer and nutrition. She received her Ph.d from Harvard at a time when she had to design her own program for this because it was such a novel idea. She has since then devoted her career to this exact link, with work both in the private sector and for the NIH. She has said to me on more than one occasion that it was frustrating work. The hope was that it would be key to many cancers, but it is not. Take BRCA1 and 2, for example. Those are genetic, not lifestyle, triggers. She told my wife to do what she has always told me to do, eat a well balanced diet, don't worry about food substitutions (if you want sugar then eat sugar just don't binge on it, for example), make sure her diet is rich in a variety of vegetables, lean meats, fatty fish, nuts, whole grains and dairy, eat less "junk food," enjoy some wine, and exercise daily. But at the end of the day, her advice was to find a surgeon and a oncologist who are damn good and with whom she could place her trust. Modern medicine provides the best chance of survival, not a vegan or any other diet. The most shocking thing we learned is that my wife shouldn't eat grapefruit and beets because they interfere with the chemo.

The reality is that I've lived this approach my entire life and my wife has too. We both became overweight for a short period of time from too many calories. I can't emphasize enough that in all of this, that we do eat a very well balanced diet, but it does include pizza, chicken wings, ice cream, and even the occasional fast food hamburger and milk shake. By no means though does any of that form the core. And I will never be so bold as to tell anyone that I eat "clean." And I personally find that the food substitutions that are made to perfectly good food border on the absurd. There just doesn't seem to be any justification for thinking almonds make better milk than cows, for example. The human diet varies from culture to culture and from person to person. We are omnivores. There are always incremental improvements that can be made, but the holier than though, "I eat clean" and "food is evil" crowd needs to step back and look at the big picture.

[insert epic standing ovation gif]

^This. So much this!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I suddenly want a pop tart now...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

The reality is that I've lived this approach my entire life and my wife has too. We both became overweight for a short period of time from too many calories. I can't emphasize enough that in all of this, that we do eat a very well balanced diet, but it does include pizza, chicken wings, ice cream, and even the occasional fast food hamburger and milk shake. By no means though does any of that form the core. And I will never be so bold as to tell anyone that I eat "clean." And I personally find that the food substitutions that are made to perfectly good food border on the absurd. There just doesn't seem to be any justification for thinking almonds make better milk than cows, for example. The human diet varies from culture to culture and from person to person. We are omnivores. There are always incremental improvements that can be made, but the holier than though, "I eat clean" and "food is evil" crowd needs to step back and look at the big picture.

[insert epic standing ovation gif]

^This. So much this!!!

Excellent post!
  • magerum
    Options

Yeah it's pretty good

191685ce-4f4e-4c7d-8c38-c0b8003490cb_zps4faba0fc.jpg

1e5d25f4-0dbd-426e-9019-d360b129083f_zps9caf145c.jpg

ETA: That's a pumpkin pie pop tart with pumpkin cheesecake Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwich and red velvet pop tart w/ red velvet cake Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwich.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's pretty good

I feel like it would be good on a toasted brownie pop tart. I must try this.
  • magerum
    Options
    Yeah it's pretty good

I feel like it would be good on a toasted brownie pop tart. I must try this.

Pro tip: Use a spoon, trust me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This:
    6002537933_e8d711701d.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1312325953380
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    A-Freakin'-men!