I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    damn you guys are quoting each other so much its messing with my eyes! lol how about to each their own stop telling people what to do and being so argumentative and go eat pie :heart:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I have not claimed any science at all. Just that in trusting in someone elses science you are using faith- unles you yourself are the scientist. Clean Eaters will post up a bunch of articles from other men with "scientific facts" saying that they are right. And IIFYMers will do the same... ultimately your trusting one mans "science" or the other. Just call it what it is. Faith.

Faith =\= Science. Faith is believing something without empirical proof. Science is proof. If you can't get your head around that...well, we've all burned a lot of calories typing and banging our heads on the wall at least.

Well aren't you a breath of fresh (and logical) air! :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    First, the phrase "clean eating" is really just a fancy term for eating good, whole foods. It's not a fad diet. It's a wholesome diet--diet here meaning the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats- the dictionary definition of the noun diet.

I recommend the documentary "Hungry for Change" then re-evaluate your concept of clean eating being stupid. As previously stated, many people eat clean to rid their body of toxins and chemicals that are found in processed food. Clean food isn't boring or gross. Pumpkin pie can be made using clean foods. Hitting your macros is great, meeting your calorie goal is great, but you'll feel much more satisfied if you're filling that with whole foods rather than Big Macs (not saying you do this, but in general).

it is a fad diet.
    The Eat-Clean Diet recommends avoiding all saturated fat, trans fats, overprocessed, refined foods -- especially white flour, sugar, sugar-loaded colas, juices, and alcohol.

The plan's guiding principles:

* Each meal should be between 200-300 calories.
    * Eat a complex carbohydrate with protein (20-21 grams) at every meal.
    * Drink at least 8 cups of water daily.
    * Never miss a meal, especially breakfast.
    * Consume adequate healthy fats each day.

“I recommend shopping at farmers markets or when at the grocery store, stick to the perimeter and choose foods with one to three pronounceable ingredients only, staying away from any food that comes in a box or bag that man has had a hand in creating or contains ingredients you can’t pronounce,” Reno says.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/eat-clean-diet-review

that's a checklist of do's and don't just like the sort you find with every other fad diet. i could debunk every single thing listed there except for the line about consuming healthy fats.

the Eat-Clean diet is not the same as clean eating....

would you like to try and explain the material difference between the two without calling all of the rest of us idiots?

i have yet to see anyone even attempt to define clean eating in this thread though, so good luck with that.

Clean eating would be to cut out as much processed/refined foods as you can and eat food AS IT OCCURS in nature. Think of a spectrum... at one end is a strawberry... picked from a plant.... grown in nature. In the middle of this spectrum is strawberry jam... so we done some things to the strawberry (cooked it, added pure sugar, etc). At the opposite end of the spectrum is strawberry fruit snacks which have very little strawberry left in them (it's mostly processed sugar or additives created in a lab). So clean eating would be those who want to stick to the "strawberry" and middle of the spectrum to cut out processing and additives. It's MUCH better to eat strawberries with a little raw sugar on them then strawberry fruit snacks (or so clean eaters think)

Cutting out all the processing and additives and eat foods as close to their natural state as they can.... does that make sense?

yes, but this is not what everybody means by that term and that's the problem.

also, additives and preservatives are there so that food is more readily available to more people. to try and adhere to your definition on a global basis would mean the deaths of many tens of millions of people due to starvation. it would also mean that foods are only available to people where the foods are produced. for example, nobody in Boston would be able to eat an orange anymore.

but my big complaint is with the idea that this ridiculous and in my view unnecessary standard is held out to people as a magic fix for obesity (just like every other fad diet) with the added component of shame/guilt when those people fail to meet the high standard. professional bodybuilders are obviously not going to have a problem eating "clean" while cutting for a contest. they are focused on the event and are willing/able to severely restrict their intake. however, an 18 year old woman can learn lifetime long food phobias because of the idea that some foods are inherently "bad" and must be avoided.

it's all so wrong and unnecessary. i stick by my statement that ALL foods are allowable in a diet. it's the variety, amount, and frequency with which they are eaten that dictates your weight and nutrition. if you don't like something, don't eat it. but don't avoid anything you do like. there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    17 pages huh? I didnt even get through page 1 and I already crave Easy-Mac
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I have not claimed any science at all. Just that in trusting in someone elses science you are using faith- unles you yourself are the scientist. Clean Eaters will post up a bunch of articles from other men with "scientific facts" saying that they are right. And IIFYMers will do the same... ultimately your trusting one mans "science" or the other. Just call it what it is. Faith.

Faith =\= Science. Faith is believing something without empirical proof. Science is proof. If you can't get your head around that...well, we've all burned a lot of calories typing and banging our heads on the wall at least.

Where is your proof? In the article that you put your faith in. For every "scientific" article for IIFYM or Clean eating, theres another "scientific" article against it. There's always a new study... a new "proof." It comes down to who's "scientific proof" you are going to believe.

There are many many studies that support eating a proper macro spread for maximum health benefits. What defines a proper spread is somewhat debatable, but it holds true. Your body needs carbs, protein, and fats for proper bodily functions. I doubt many will dispute that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you ate clean you wouldn't be so grouchy in the morning.

Agreed. :wink:
  • CalynZeigs
    CalynZeigs Posts: 34
    Options
    damn you guys are quoting each other so much its messing with my eyes! lol how about to each their own stop telling people what to do and being so argumentative and go eat pie :heart:

lol, shh on the sweets talk, I'm baking for my son's bday party and and having a hard enough time not eating everything....

Mmmm pie, now I'm going to have to bake a freaking pie ;-)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Show of hands...who hear used to follow Kevin Trudeau and is now a clean eater?

:laugh:
  • meeper123
    Options

lol, shh on the sweets talk, I'm baking for my son's bday party and and having a hard enough time not eating everything....

Mmmm pie, now I'm going to have to bake a freaking pie ;-)

hehe I have an apple one in the oven :D

:( its for a bake sale though but my hubby vows to buy it lol
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way: If what you're doing is working for you and you're meeting your goals, then keep doing what you're doing. However, if you don't feel good, are not meeting goals you set, are struggling with or suffering from various things, avoiding chemicals, processed foods, sugar/corn syrup, and gluten might help.

It is the same argument with smokers. They smoke because they want to. There has been a lot more research into the health issues, and they know the risk, but they don't care enough to change. You could do a 1000 studies that show corn syrup causes obesity, and they'd still eat it.

The only reason for this to involve anyone else is where health care costs are incurred by the public/tax payers. Some insurance companies now offer discounts if you go to the gym regularly. I expect you're going to see more discount/incentives around food choices as costs go up and insurance companies look for ways to deal with it.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Here, I'll help ya out.

Clean eaters are the devil. IIFYMers are scientific geniuses who are tired of Clean Eaters calling certain foods the Devil... so... they call clean eaters the devil.

Basically.. its the devil.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meeper123
    Options

Here, I'll help ya out.

Clean eaters are the devil. IIFYMers are scientific geniuses who are tired of Clean Eaters calling certain foods the Devil... so... they call clean eaters the devil.

ROLF
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Where is your proof? In the article that you put your faith in. For every "scientific" article for IIFYM or Clean eating, theres another "scientific" article against it. There's always a new study... a new "proof." It comes down to who's "scientific proof" you are going to believe.

There are many many studies that support eating a proper macro spread for maximum health benefits. What defines a proper spread is somewhat debatable, but it holds true. Your body needs carbs, protein, and fats for proper bodily functions. I doubt many will dispute that.

QFT
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Here, I'll help ya out.

I read that eating popcorn. Super appropriate for this thread. Also, it was cheddar cheese popcorn that is called "Smartfood" even though over 50% of the calories in it come from fat. Nom.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Here, I'll help ya out.

I read that eating popcorn. Super appropriate for this thread. Also, it was cheddar cheese popcorn that is called "Smartfood" even though over 50% of the calories in it come from fat. Nom.

Did you schuck the corn yourself? If not, you are the devil. <
    sorry I can't help it... I'm overcome with my devilish clean eating ways!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    First, the phrase "clean eating" is really just a fancy term for eating good, whole foods. It's not a fad diet. It's a wholesome diet--diet here meaning the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats- the dictionary definition of the noun diet.

I recommend the documentary "Hungry for Change" then re-evaluate your concept of clean eating being stupid. As previously stated, many people eat clean to rid their body of toxins and chemicals that are found in processed food. Clean food isn't boring or gross. Pumpkin pie can be made using clean foods. Hitting your macros is great, meeting your calorie goal is great, but you'll feel much more satisfied if you're filling that with whole foods rather than Big Macs (not saying you do this, but in general).

it is a fad diet.
    The Eat-Clean Diet recommends avoiding all saturated fat, trans fats, overprocessed, refined foods -- especially white flour, sugar, sugar-loaded colas, juices, and alcohol.

The plan's guiding principles:

* Each meal should be between 200-300 calories.
    * Eat a complex carbohydrate with protein (20-21 grams) at every meal.
    * Drink at least 8 cups of water daily.
    * Never miss a meal, especially breakfast.
    * Consume adequate healthy fats each day.

“I recommend shopping at farmers markets or when at the grocery store, stick to the perimeter and choose foods with one to three pronounceable ingredients only, staying away from any food that comes in a box or bag that man has had a hand in creating or contains ingredients you can’t pronounce,” Reno says.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/eat-clean-diet-review

that's a checklist of do's and don't just like the sort you find with every other fad diet. i could debunk every single thing listed there except for the line about consuming healthy fats.

the Eat-Clean diet is not the same as clean eating....

would you like to try and explain the material difference between the two without calling all of the rest of us idiots?

i have yet to see anyone even attempt to define clean eating in this thread though, so good luck with that.

Clean eating would be to cut out as much processed/refined foods as you can and eat food AS IT OCCURS in nature. Think of a spectrum... at one end is a strawberry... picked from a plant.... grown in nature. In the middle of this spectrum is strawberry jam... so we done some things to the strawberry (cooked it, added pure sugar, etc). At the opposite end of the spectrum is strawberry fruit snacks which have very little strawberry left in them (it's mostly processed sugar or additives created in a lab). So clean eating would be those who want to stick to the "strawberry" and middle of the spectrum to cut out processing and additives. It's MUCH better to eat strawberries with a little raw sugar on them then strawberry fruit snacks (or so clean eaters think)

Cutting out all the processing and additives and eat foods as close to their natural state as they can.... does that make sense?

yes, but this is not what everybody means by that term and that's the problem.

also, additives and preservatives are there so that food is more readily available to more people. to try and adhere to your definition on a global basis would mean the deaths of many tens of millions of people due to starvation. it would also mean that foods are only available to people where the foods are produced. for example, nobody in Boston would be able to eat an orange anymore.

but my big complaint is with the idea that this ridiculous and in my view unnecessary standard is held out to people as a magic fix for obesity (just like every other fad diet) with the added component of shame/guilt when those people fail to meet the high standard. professional bodybuilders are obviously not going to have a problem eating "clean" while cutting for a contest. they are focused on the event and are willing/able to severely restrict their intake. however, an 18 year old woman can learn lifetime long food phobias because of the idea that some foods are inherently "bad" and must be avoided.

it's all so wrong and unnecessary. i stick by my statement that ALL foods are allowable in a diet. it's the variety, amount, and frequency with which they are eaten that dictates your weight and nutrition. if you don't like something, don't eat it. but don't avoid anything you do like. there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods.

AND THAT....is the beauty of "to each his own" It doesn't matter what we all believe... just that we do what is right for us and our families....
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give a rats *kitten* what people choose to eat but I'll say again what's been said before. It's the pretentious, snobby attitude that always goes along with the clean eatin' clan. Can't stand it.

I don't give a rats *kitten* what people choose to eat either, it's the lumping everyone in together and getting down on everyone doing something because you don't like a few that do. Can't stand that.

It's a pretty widespread attitude actually...there's always an exception to the rule and I suppose you're it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Here, I'll help ya out.

Did you schuck the corn yourself? If not, you are the devil. <
    sorry I can't help it... I'm overcome with my devilish clean eating ways!

*kitten*...I knew I was doin somethin wrong
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    nmajbk.gif