• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i tried it when i was a teenager

bad idea do not recommend
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I read something about when John Wayne and Elvis Presley died they had 18 to 20 pounds of waste inside them, so it got me thinking what is inside my body.

There's 18-20 lbs of crap in every discussion about cleanses being useful.

You have a liver and kidneys, unless they are compromised you are cleansing just fine.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Detoxing is a pointless endeavor. You have working kidneys and a liver that detox your body for you. Detoxes are just a money marketing attempt by scammers looking to make a quick buck off of the gullible.

Well agreed that's what I thought the liver was for. It was nothing bought online just ingredients in the store. I did see several lemon cleanse sites online. I read something about when John Wayne and Elvis Presley died they had 18 to 20 pounds of waste inside them, so it got me thinking what is inside my body.

Well, I don't know about John Wayne, but it is true of Elvis. Want to know why? HE HAD A LONG-STANDING DRUG ISSUE SLOWING DOWN HIS DIGESTIVE SYSTEM AND HE ACTUALLY WAS IN NEED OF A DETOX.

That said, what probably killed Elvis was not an impacted colon but polypharmacy. Again, this dude needed a detox. You and your coworkers probably don't.

edit for spelling

Yeah...narcotics + banana sandwiches=not good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried the salt water flush ONCE, it was the most disgusting thing ever!!!!
    If you want a to "empty out" , go to the pharmacy and get one of those mixtures they give to colonoscopy patients to clear their bowels. But be prepared to have to clean your toilet walls and ceiling afterward :open_mouth::cold_sweat:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has ever tried this. It says to do it for 10 days, but I was thinking of trying it for 3 days. A couple people at my work swear by it and says it gets rid of all the toxins in your body but I am very skeptical about it. I am not sure I could drink a quart of salt water in the morning...sounds horrible.
    Your skepticism is well founded. The basic premise is that more you elevate your blood's pH something happens and toxinz or something and something will happen something. Bogus claims.
    marlown wrote: »
    MFP forums are not a good place to ask about cleanses, detoxes, intermittent fasting, etc. Lots of haters out there on this subject. I'm about your age and I have done this and love it. Still go back to it occasionally if I start eating more unhealthy foods. I will send you a friend request and if you accept, I will let you know my experiences with the lemonade fasts. Have a good day!
    The guy asked about it and got a myriad of responses on why its bogus. That is not hate.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yep! I clean my copper pots with lemon.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    liver-detox-diet.png

You have a liver. It needs nutrients to function properly and detox normally.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Here's the thing toxinz people... Since the liver and kidney lock that crap up (mercury, lead etc), thus removing it from your bloodstream, why in the heck do you want to release it back into your blood stream? That is, if this woo actually worked - thankfully it does not.

That would be dangerous and stupid, and weapons-grade dumb.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    marlown wrote: »
    MFP forums are not a good place to ask about cleanses, detoxes, intermittent fasting, etc. Lots of haters out there on this subject. I'm about your age and I have done this and love it. Still go back to it occasionally if I start eating more unhealthy foods. I will send you a friend request and if you accept, I will let you know my experiences with the lemonade fasts. Have a good day!

Probably because they don't work...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Whaddyamean, Elvis is DEAD?????
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love how people who give credence to science are 'haters'...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mayo Clinic: Do Detox Diets Offer Any Health Benefits?

Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics: Staying Away From Fad Diets

The Detox Scam: How to Spot it, How to Avoid it

Lemons are good for cleansing... rub them on your stainless steel sink!
    And they make water taste good so you'll drink more of it.
    But drinking salt water?!?!?! :astonished: Ew. Pretty sure that could do nasty things to your body all by itself, depending on how strong the solution is. (For example, NEVER take the "chug a bottle of soy sauce" challenge!!! You can _die_.)

ETA: forgot one from SideSteel
    Looking for a detox cleanse?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Great lemon cleanses:

1) dip half a lemon in salt to shine a copper pot
    2) lemon juice and baking soda will remove stains from a white enamel sink.
    3) Cleanse your lemons before zesting for garnish or soaking in vodka to make limoncello.

You can also 'bleach' out stains on white clothing by rubbing lemon juice on them and letting them sit out in the sun. :)

SEE, PEOPLE? LEMON CLEANSES CAN BE A GOOD THING!

Sadly, that is a clothing cleanse using lemons.

Well, lemons are great for cleansing copper pots, sinks, and clothes.

Lemons themselves should be cleansed before consuming the zest.

That's as close as you are going to get to approval of a "lemon cleanse" 'round these parts.

(Oh, and a bit of Woo Broscience on another matter: Alkaline diets don't refer to eating food with a low PH level. Lemons themselves are acidic, yes, but are considered an "alkaline food" because apparently the body produces base unicorn fluff to digest them. To wit: "Note: a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. Although it might seem that citrus fruits would have an acidifying effect on the body, the citric acid they contain actually has an alkalinizing effect in the system. " Lord knows what "the system" is. Sounds vaguely sinister, Orwellian almost)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Your skepticism is well founded. The basic premise is that more you elevate your blood's pH something happens and toxinz or something and something will happen something. Bogus claims.
    Yep, even quackwatch.org says The Acid/Alkali Theory of Disease is Nonsense
    In part:
    "no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes."

Your body maintains itself in a fairly narrow range of pH, other than in the digestive system (which goes from very acidic - close to 1 in the stomach - to somewhat basic in the intestines thanks to bile).
    If we get outside that range, the chemical processes which allow us to live stop working.
    Bad idea.
    So the body has elaborate & redundant systems to prevent that happening.
    Anything you eat or drink will have a direct effect on the stomach & start of the small intestine.

BTW, the problem with soy sauce or salt water or even too much water is not pH but electrolyte imbalance. That interferes with nerve conduction, which makes muscles act funny. Since your heart is a muscle, this is Bad.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Yep, even quackwatch.org says The Acid/Alkali Theory of Disease is Nonsense
    In part:
    "no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes."

Your body maintains itself in a fairly narrow range of pH, other than in the digestive system (which goes from very acidic - close to 1 in the stomach - to somewhat basic in the intestines thanks to bile).
    If we get outside that range, the chemical processes which allow us to live stop working.
    Bad idea.
    So the body has elaborate & redundant systems to prevent that happening.
    Anything you eat or drink will have a direct effect on the stomach & start of the small intestine.

BTW, the problem with soy sauce or salt water or even too much water is not pH but electrolyte imbalance. That interferes with nerve conduction, which makes muscles act funny. Since your heart is a muscle, this is Bad.

Plus, the sodium will make you "gain" weight and send you to the General Forum with a ZOMG PLATEAU EMERGENCY.
  • jcmorse563
    jcmorse563 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cleanses.. there are reasons for cleanse... for instance if your a virus carrier like hep b, and some c's, a liver cleans is very helpful. Most don't know that the hep virus is something that your liver lets in to help fight toxins in the liver, when you do a liver cleans such as the 8 oz fresh organic lemon with 8 ounces of organic virgin olive oil this is a big help to your liver. (after you take something to open the liver ducts) Another reason for a cleans might be a partial obstruction, a small intestine cleans such as 32 ounces of purified water with about 4 tablespoons of pink rock salt first thing in the morn on an empty stomach will cause your body to flush your intestines. However, in a perfect world our liver, kidney's and gallbladder is all we need for detoxification, however, we don't live in a perfect world and for most people the food they eat has all kinds of added toxins that our bodies where not meant to deal with on the levels we put in. Thanks to big industry, and supermarkets we have to have food that stores longer in shipment, and lasts on the shelf. If your a person that looks at this stuff, try's to buy organic, non genetically enhanced food, without pesticides, your ahead of the game.. Or even if you like to buy at your local farmers market its a big help. But if your buying all your produce at Walmart thats a different story. The day's of the Local store that sold locally grown stuff was the healthiest, but that's long gone. As a person that used to have these problems, thank you Jesus for healing me, I can attest that not all these are evil.. however, make sure you take it up with your nutritionist and or doctor first...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jcmorse563 wrote: »
    cleanses.. there are reasons for cleanse... for instance if your a virus carrier like hep b, and some c's, a liver cleans is very helpful. Most don't know that the hep virus is something that your liver lets in to help fight toxins in the liver, when you do a liver cleans such as the 8 oz fresh organic lemon with 8 ounces of organic virgin olive oil this is a big help to your liver. (after you take something to open the liver ducts) Another reason for a cleans might be a partial obstruction, a small intestine cleans such as 32 ounces of purified water with about 4 tablespoons of pink rock salt first thing in the morn on an empty stomach will cause your body to flush your intestines. However, in a perfect world our liver, kidney's and gallbladder is all we need for detoxification, however, we don't live in a perfect world and for most people the food they eat has all kinds of added toxins that our bodies where not meant to deal with on the levels we put in. Thanks to big industry, and supermarkets we have to have food that stores longer in shipment, and lasts on the shelf. If your a person that looks at this stuff, try's to buy organic, non genetically enhanced food, without pesticides, your ahead of the game.. Or even if you like to buy at your local farmers market its a big help. But if your buying all your produce at Walmart thats a different story. The day's of the Local store that sold locally grown stuff was the healthiest, but that's long gone. As a person that used to have these problems, thank you Jesus for healing me, I can attest that not all these are evil.. however, make sure you take it up with your nutritionist and or doctor first...

Those are some wild claims. Care to provide some science? Not a blog or random website, peer reviewed studies.

Also, if you had a partial obstruction of your intestine you would need medical treatment, not a salt water flush (which could cause damage).
  • SA_X
    SA_X Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's obvious their detox really didn't work because they are still full of *kitten*.
    This is amazing.
This discussion has been closed.