I need clean eating motivation and friends!

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why this would offend anyone – it is my body, I will fuel it as I see fit. If your standards are different, great, eat the way you want – if you feel that you are being “judged”, perhaps it is time to reevaluate your standards.

No one is saying that what some individual does affects them. The assertion (ironically by someone--not the OP--who does not even eat according to her own standards) is that those who eat "clean" can judge those who do not. I have certain standards of my own that I try to follow (largely having to do with mostly cooking from whole foods and eating lots of vegetables and other nutrient dense foods, so hardly all that different), and sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. I've had friends who were on the same page on some of those, and we encouraged each other, and that's great. But "clean" eating is a murky thing and what you think is healthy (no processed or some such) might not be what I think is healthy, such that your deciding that it was sensible to criticize my diary or comment on it to others because I eat, for just one example, store-bought yogurt (plain Fage, which meets my personal standards, but is obviously "processed," etc.) would annoy me, since FOR ME that's not a slip up, but something I choose to do based on what I think is healthy. Similarly, being criticized for eating red meat, because someone else thinks that's bad for me or potatoes (same) or wheat or too many carbs or whatever it is, up to and including ice cream and chocolate, which I usually choose to include in my diet, would not be especially helpful. The point is that there can be valid, reasonable differences in what makes for a healthful diet. The idea that eating "clean" (especially when that has no meaning and seems not to be actually complied with) means you have higher standards is false.

Another, related point is that people may not find it helpful at all to have their diet commented on and may believe at this point in time that focusing too much on whole foods or the like isn't helpful for them or simply that being honest and seeing how they are eating and cutting calories is the absolute priority. Being judged and commented on by people who are supposed to be their friends doesn't help with this.

The world is riddled with murky terms that differ according to individuality – justice, honesty, love, persistence, success, honor, patriotism, loyalty, etc., don’t have universal meanings in functional terms (beyond the dictionary). Should we all stop using words that mean something a little different to everyone? Of course not.

Having standards that you can’t meet is great, as long as you are the kind of person who doesn't get discouraged by failing. I don’t. I have a ton of standards that I fall short of in fitness, at work, with my family, etc, because in some cases, my standards are impossibly high. If you have a standard that you consistently meet every single time, guess what – you can do better, raise it a little and try to improve. I fall well short of eating clean – that doesn't render the concept as meaningless, on the contrary, it motivates me to keep trying.

I am always looking for friends that put a different spin on things – reading your diary and that you eat pizza, donuts, and Big Macs all the time is not instructive to me, I know how to do that and log it, there is nothing for me to learn. If you make interesting recipes that improve upon traditional ones, if you replace processed stuff with unprocessed stuff, if you order certain things off of a menu that are better for you (as determined by my standards), that is useful to me. I am guessing that is what OP wants for friends.

So if you need to get ideas and ways to improve from your friend's diaries, that is who you friend. You don't friend someone, judge that they aren't eating up to your standards, and ridicule them in a thread for that. Delete them, don't judge them for not living up to your standards of how to do this right.

My diary is for me, it's my place to be brutally honest with myself. Some days are good, some not so good, some just out and out horrendous. But, luckily I don't have to worry about my friend's judging me for what I put there.

My other question is how you check all these "clean" eating diaries since from what I've seen 80% of those saying they eat clean keep them private.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Who are you to judge if they are doing it right?

What exactly is doing it right?

Can't we have one thread where someone doesn't pick a fight with the OP?
    Can't we have one thread where someone doesn't get so offended?

It's asking her to clarify, hardly picking a fight.

Exactly... She made a statement and that statement needed clarification.

It didn't. What she was saying was quite clear.

Sorry love but you are wrong... She said, "Does anyone do it "right?"

Obviously, the question, "what do you consider right?" was a request for clarification...

I love how some people came in to white knight the OP declaring how everyone is being ridiculous in their comments because the OP is "simply looking for friends" when the comments/issue have nothing about her choice to eat clean (which she doesn't) or for her search for fellow "clean eaters", but rather of her statements declaring it's the only right way while bashing the people already on her FL because they chose to eat something "not clean."

So I guess it's totally okay to be judgey (and to announce it to everyone on the site) and put down someone that you are supposed to be supporting but not okay for people to comment on that (in a public forum no less) because she eats clean (but not really) and is just looking for support (which I'm not surprised she doesn't have if that's how she treats people who make different choices than her or might have had an off day).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Obviously, the question, "what do you consider right?" was a request for clarification...

I love how some people came in to white knight the OP declaring how everyone is being ridiculous in their comments because the OP is "simply looking for friends" when the comments/issue have nothing about her choice to eat clean (which she doesn't) or for her search for fellow "clean eaters", but rather of her statements declaring it's the only right way while bashing the people already on her FL because they chose to eat something "not clean."

So I guess it's totally okay to be judgey (and to announce it to everyone on the site) and put down someone that you are supposed to be supporting but not okay for people to comment on that (in a public forum no less) because she eats clean (but not really) and is just looking for support (which I'm not surprised she doesn't have if that's how she treats people who make different choices than her or might have had an off day).

I just don't get the labels. It seems silly to me to have to label something right, or clean etc... " I eat "clean" 70% of the time with the occasional "cheat."" Is it just me or does that sound like moderation? Maybe the "clean eaters" are insecure and giving their diets a label or identity makes them feel better about themselves. To each his own...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why this would offend anyone – it is my body, I will fuel it as I see fit. If your standards are different, great, eat the way you want – if you feel that you are being “judged”, perhaps it is time to reevaluate your standards.

No one is saying that what some individual does affects them. The assertion (ironically by someone--not the OP--who does not even eat according to her own standards) is that those who eat "clean" can judge those who do not. I have certain standards of my own that I try to follow (largely having to do with mostly cooking from whole foods and eating lots of vegetables and other nutrient dense foods, so hardly all that different), and sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. I've had friends who were on the same page on some of those, and we encouraged each other, and that's great. But "clean" eating is a murky thing and what you think is healthy (no processed or some such) might not be what I think is healthy, such that your deciding that it was sensible to criticize my diary or comment on it to others because I eat, for just one example, store-bought yogurt (plain Fage, which meets my personal standards, but is obviously "processed," etc.) would annoy me, since FOR ME that's not a slip up, but something I choose to do based on what I think is healthy. Similarly, being criticized for eating red meat, because someone else thinks that's bad for me or potatoes (same) or wheat or too many carbs or whatever it is, up to and including ice cream and chocolate, which I usually choose to include in my diet, would not be especially helpful. The point is that there can be valid, reasonable differences in what makes for a healthful diet. The idea that eating "clean" (especially when that has no meaning and seems not to be actually complied with) means you have higher standards is false.

Another, related point is that people may not find it helpful at all to have their diet commented on and may believe at this point in time that focusing too much on whole foods or the like isn't helpful for them or simply that being honest and seeing how they are eating and cutting calories is the absolute priority. Being judged and commented on by people who are supposed to be their friends doesn't help with this.

The world is riddled with murky terms that differ according to individuality – justice, honesty, love, persistence, success, honor, patriotism, loyalty, etc., don’t have universal meanings in functional terms (beyond the dictionary). Should we all stop using words that mean something a little different to everyone? Of course not.

Having standards that you can’t meet is great, as long as you are the kind of person who doesn't get discouraged by failing. I don’t. I have a ton of standards that I fall short of in fitness, at work, with my family, etc, because in some cases, my standards are impossibly high. If you have a standard that you consistently meet every single time, guess what – you can do better, raise it a little and try to improve. I fall well short of eating clean – that doesn't render the concept as meaningless, on the contrary, it motivates me to keep trying.

I am always looking for friends that put a different spin on things – reading your diary and that you eat pizza, donuts, and Big Macs all the time is not instructive to me, I know how to do that and log it, there is nothing for me to learn. If you make interesting recipes that improve upon traditional ones, if you replace processed stuff with unprocessed stuff, if you order certain things off of a menu that are better for you (as determined by my standards), that is useful to me. I am guessing that is what OP wants for friends.

You failed to reply to any of the points that I made.

It's not just that "eating clean" is murky, but that reasonable people can differ on what "eating healthy" means. Maybe for you or OP it shouldn't include plain store-bought Greek yogurt or smoked salmon or chocolate because "processed" or sugar. Maybe for someone else it shouldn't include red meat or potatoes because saturated fat or "white foods" or some nonsense. On what basis is it reasonable for OP to judge me (as her hypothetical friend) for eating in such a way or to presume--since I said I was trying to eat in a healthful way--that I should be rebuked for having a steak or whatever?

Fact is, sometimes I do fail to meet my own standards (because that's life) and I'm not sure why it's supposed to be helpful to have someone shaking her finger at me and saying "no veggies at lunch today, very bad" when I am probably already aware of that more than anyone and perhaps my bigger struggle is logging honestly or not beating myself up over dumb things. But OP seems to be going beyond that and wanting to impose some unidentified standards that I may not even want to meet--personally, I think believing that potatoes are bad for you because "white" or "carbs" or "GI" or whatever or that greek yogurt is bad because "processed" or some such is wrong and that these foods are good for me. It's fine that people differ--I never tell people they should add potatoes to their diets although in the forums I might challenge claims that they are "bad"--but here OP is saying she's judging her friends on things like this. That's not a very appealing invitation. And finding it unappealing doesn't mean that I think my standards are lower than hers or yours or any other self-proclaimed "clean eater." That's ridiculous.

You have made a lot of assumptions about what OP is looking for that's not supported by her post (but could have been easily requested). Also, it's quite obvious to me that she's succeeded in making wary plenty of people who probably fit the category that you suggest she's looking for.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I just don't get the labels. It seems silly to me to have to label something right, or clean etc... " I eat "clean" 70% of the time with the occasional "cheat."" Is it just me or does that sound like moderation? Maybe the "clean eaters" are insecure and giving their diets a label or identity makes them feel better about themselves. To each his own...

I don't get it either.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IDK ..

I just eat the foods I like and fit them into my calorie/micro/macro targets...

I guess people need to demonize food as "bad" because they need crutch for why they become obese, and they then need a reason to get into a calorie deficit, so if you demonize said food as "bad" you avoid it and it is easier to get into a deficit...just a guess on my part...
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    I tried clean eating it was after I binged and I told myself I was just gonna drink water, eat fruits and veggies and nuts......that lasted about a day. But good luck!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Good to see all the 'clean' eaters friending each other so they can commiserate with each other when most of them crack, binge, and fail to meet their goals.

The rest of us will continue to enjoy cookies and pizza whilst losing fat.

Carry on carrying on, everyone.

They'll probably just make threads complaining about each other when this happens. Then when asked about it, they'll be all, "NO, I wasn't talking about you! No one is perfect! However, did you not read the label on that cookie dough you ate the other day? I mean, it should be ILLEGAL to put all those preservatives in there. Botulism is natural!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Good to see all the 'clean' eaters friending each other so they can commiserate with each other when most of them crack, binge, and fail to meet their goals.

They'll probably just make threads complaining about each other when this happens. Then when asked about it, they'll be all, "NO, I wasn't talking about you! No one is perfect! However, did you not read the label on that cookie dough you ate the other day? I mean, it should be ILLEGAL to put all those preservatives in there. Botulism is natural!"

don't forget all the evil added sugars...
  • PikaKnight
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and baking soda...(or was it baking powder?) :laugh:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Oh how could I forget those?

sugar_demon.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    What I find funny is the OP and the other "clean" eaters in here who think it's fine to judge other people's honesty in logging, don't have their diaries open.

This is what gets to me, also. It takes courage to be completely honest on your open diary. If I were OP's friend I'd be hitting that delete button so fast. I don't want to be coddled by my friends, but I don't want backstabbers either. So ridiculous.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    So, in place of a whole entire meal . . . .
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .
    As a whole meal . . . . ?

I think that was the part that made things a little more clear for me about the OPs meaning.

Nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not. Had valentines day candy this week, on multiple days. It was processed . . . and yummy. Also had protein bars (processed), protein powder (processed), vitamin supplement (processed) store bought almond milk (processed), and storebought bread (processed). I just don't think the post was meant the way some of y'all seem to think, IMHO.

But, the wild spraying of venom is entertaining. Please continue.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

and baking soda...(or was it baking powder?) :laugh:

HEY, those are alkaline at least, and we all know that living an alkaline lifestyle is the healthy way. :laugh:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .

I think that was the part that made things a little more clear for me about the OPs meaning.

Nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not. Had valentines day candy this week, on multiple days. It was processed . . . and yummy. Also had protein bars (processed), protein powder (processed), vitamin supplement (processed) store bought almond milk (processed), and storebought bread (processed). I just don't think the post was meant the way some of y'all seem to think, IMHO.

If her friend met her macros the rest of the day, who cares if she had cookie dough for lunch? Nothing at all wrong with that. That does not equal "all cookie dough, all the time."
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .

If her friend met her macros the rest of the day, who cares if she had cookie dough for lunch? Nothing at all wrong with that. That does not equal "all cookie dough, all the time."

Because thinking outside the box (well, in this case eating something outside the norms of what "lunch" is supposed to be) is bad...what next. Breakfast for dinner and pizza for brunch? Oh. My. God. The chaos...

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .

Because thinking outside the box (well, in this case eating something outside the norms of what "lunch" is supposed to be) is bad...what next. Breakfast for dinner and pizza for brunch? Oh. My. God. The chaos...

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .

Who cares what she decides to eat for lunch, it was her decision and hell I think the person should be congratulated on being honest with what she had, not made to feel like she did something wrong.

There's been days I've eaten ice cream for the day, it got logged, and I moved on, does that mean I failed because I had a bad day?

With friends like that who needs enemies :)
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha, ha! Love it.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    wow people are mean. Sounded to me like the OP was looking for support from others who want to do it the same way she does.

Who are all of you to hate on her for that. If you don't like it move on. I don't plan on doing the "clean eating" thing. I was on here to maybe pick up some tips all I see is others so insecure that they cant handle people doing something different than they are.

I believe she meant does anyone do clean eating right. That is a fair question.

If she had said: "I am into clean eating (insert helpful definition of her diet plan here since "clean eating is subjective). Any other clean eaters looking for friends to motivate them?" Then I would agree with you.

Criticizing others for the items they eat and log by saying they make her cringe and ending her request with a plea for friends who diet the "right" way is provoking deserved criticism. That isn't mean or hate. By the way. I feel you have every right to express your own opinion about this issue, but if I used the logic you presented here I would tell you: "Who are you to call these responders haters? If you didn't like what they said just move on." :D