Judgmental confession about that non-judgmental confession thread

Options
14567810»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The bad thing about using meals over recipes is there is no 'number of servings'. Say you make a recipe and estimate it'll be six servings and it winds up being four. You can just go change the 6 to a 4 in a recipe and it re-does the math.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I admit I haven't read all of the other thread or all of this one. :blush: I think it comes down to what works for each person, and that's going to vary wildly. However, it's true that many of the folks who complain they're doing everything right and still can't lose weight are the people who don't log accurately. They claim to log religiously during the week and just cheat on weekends. But how do you know you didn't undo all your hard work during the week if you don't log your cheats? You don't. But it's true that your body remembers. ;)

Example 1 - Little things: I use full-fat milk in my coffee. I measure and add 40 mls per cup. That's 55 calories per day x 7 days = 385 cals per week x 4 weeks in a month = 1540 calories. Enough for almost half a pound of weight loss (or gain, if you're not counting). Do the same math with "little" things like butter or olive oil and it keeps adding up over time. The calories in my coffee milk alone are good for 5.5 pounds per year...mind boggling.

Example 2 - Splurges: Yesterday I enjoyed a small piece of walnut pie from a local restaurant. I have no idea how they made it, so I looked through other walnut pies in the MFP database, and settled on 350 quick-added calories as an average. Is it 100% accurate? Nope, but it's in the ballpark and by logging an estimate I have a better idea of calories for the week than if I just skipped adding it. I use quick-added calories for one-bites and the like as well.

Those red numbers are not defeating for me. They are motivating. They remind me I need to work harder because this fat is not going to disappear on its own. But I understand some people are recovering from EDs and have various other reasons for not logging and each of us has to find the sweet spot of what works for us. :)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Never mind. Messed up quotes.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    KrisAZ000 wrote: »

most cases? you know that many people can maintain their weight just naturally and based on intuitive eating, right? counting calories is not natural to begin with.

Yes I do, except that I thought we were talking about the specific people in the confession thread. Are we not? I assume if someone's on here trying to log and also posting about their bingeing cheats and struggles with weight loss, they probably *aren't* people who can intuitively maintain their weight.

i didn't realize this thread was specifically about that thread. i didn't read that thread. i was talking in general.

however, i could see people confessing to eating a cupcake, thinking it's a cheat, but in the end it does fit into their weekly calories if they don't do it all the time. as was said before, some things might actually have less calories than i originally thought.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sometimes i log just cause i feel like i owe it to my friends list or something even though i don't always really have to. i went without logging for a while back in the day and so many people dropped me! i was maintaining my weight though.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And while I'm at it, it drives me nuts when people confuse lose and loose! Or they weighted instead of weigh/weighed.
    Aaaahhhhh I feel better now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That bugs me too and I feel like it's contagious and I'll eventually mess words up. I wish people would stop doing that. I can't take any of their advice seriously when they start messing up words like that. Some of the self proclaimed experts tend to do that, and once they do, their opinions become useless to me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    However, it's true that many of the folks who complain they're doing everything right and still can't lose weight are the people who don't log accurately. They claim to log religiously during the week and just cheat on weekends. But how do you know you didn't undo all your hard work during the week if you don't log your cheats? You don't. But it's true that your body remembers. ;)

^^ that. we all see a LOT of posts ' i can't lose weight' or ' i stopped losing weight' or some similar variation, and in 99% its because of inaccurate logging. and then in the same breath they will swear up and down they are logging everything. using eyeball measurements and cups. :/

long story short, though, none of us are perfect. i didnt log the 2 potato chips my friends 2 year old handed me. they were good. (now if she had handed me her whole bag, i would have logged it ! ) ;) LOLOL

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise unless its a lot more than I normally do (eg long run day - am marathon training so that's now a loonnngggg run!) and will have the odd day or meal where I don't log or don't log accurately. Not through any denial but because I can't be bothered to weigh out a snack when I'm drinking or occasionally lose track of what I've drunk on a night out. As long as most of my week/ month is logged and the scales keep heading down then it works for me. I can kind of understand why people don't log - on the odd session where I have logged my drinks I do feel gulity that I look like a raging drunk LOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    And while I'm at it, it drives me nuts when people confuse lose and loose! Or they weighted instead of weigh/weighed.
    Aaaahhhhh I feel better now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That bugs me too and I feel like it's contagious and I'll eventually mess words up. I wish people would stop doing that. I can't take any of their advice seriously when they start messing up words like that. Some of the self proclaimed experts tend to do that, and once they do, their opinions become useless to me.

haha I pay special attention when I type "lose" now lol
    And yes, it is hard to take them seriously....

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    However, it's true that many of the folks who complain they're doing everything right and still can't lose weight are the people who don't log accurately. They claim to log religiously during the week and just cheat on weekends. But how do you know you didn't undo all your hard work during the week if you don't log your cheats? You don't. But it's true that your body remembers. ;)

^^ that. we all see a LOT of posts ' i can't lose loose weight' or ' i stopped losing loosing weight' or some similar variation, and in 99% its because of inaccurate logging. and then in the same breath they will swear up and down they are logging everything. using eyeball measurements and cups. :/

long story short, though, none of us are perfect. i didnt log the 2 potato chips my friends 2 year old handed me. they were good. (now if she had handed me her whole bag, i would have logged it ! ) ;) LOLOL

FTFY
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

^^ that. we all see a LOT of posts ' i can't lose loose weight' or ' i stopped losing loosing weight' or some similar variation, and in 99% its because of inaccurate logging. and then in the same breath they will swear up and down they are logging everything. using eyeball measurements and cups. :/

FTFY

i know, having completed the third grade is an accomplishment ;)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    So my answer to your question is: I use MFP in a way that is sustainable for me in the long-term. That means logging most of the time but not every time. It keeps me sane, happy, and healthy.
    This is my mindset as well. I did log my Christmas binge this year just to see how I did, but I do set aside a day per month to not log. It's worked fine for me so far and if I stop losing, I know that's something that could contribute to it.

I also didn't log recently because I was away from home due to medical reasons for nearly a month and didn't want to deal with MFP. I certainly ate more than I would have liked to during this time but I am okay with the idea of seeing a higher number on the scale when I can step on it again. There's no one else to blame for any recent weight gain but me and my lack of self control.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a good way to spin your wheels.

When I noticed that repeated confession, it was my hope that once the person had admitted it in a confession thread, they'd have made a crack in the dam of denial and it would open the floodgates to honesty and accuracy in logging.

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    To the people who asked why you would have to save face from yourself - I was assuming that at least some of the people who skipped logging certain things had open diaries. But yes, also I can understand not being a huge fan of seeing red numbers even if it's private and you know what you've done.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To the people who asked why you would have to save face from yourself - I was assuming that at least some of the people who skipped logging certain things had open diaries. But yes, also I can understand not being a huge fan of seeing red numbers even if it's private and you know what you've done.

I hate those damn red numbers, re:calories and carbs.
    I don't care if I go over fibre, protein or fat