Judgmental confession about that non-judgmental confession thread

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Can we complain about other things?

WHO SAYS toys today are better than what we had in the 80's?

No way...the 80's toys were the best! I loved my Lite-Brite!

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    raw-1343585257.jpg

I'm really quite jealous of kids today.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Gosh yes. I had to wait until I was 12 to get my first game console. My kids are 6 and have tablets.

Get off my lawn! Pong was the new thing when I was in high school and we had to go to the mall (they were new then too) to play it.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

No way...the 80's toys were the best! I loved my Lite-Brite!

Lite Brites are much older than 80's toys. They were kicking around when I was a kid.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

kerbangers rocked in the 80's. i mean, they caused extreme pain when they inevitably bashed into my arms, but that was all part of the fun. then they totally wussified them after too many lame people cried.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

kerbangers rocked in the 80's. i mean, they caused extreme pain when they inevitably bashed into my arms, but that was all part of the fun. then they totally wussified them after too many lame people cried.

They were awesome! The challenge was not having them bang your fingers.

oh - if you want to take a nice walk down 80's memory lane, watch The Goldberg's...

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Considering so many people complain about not losing weight, it is a little weird that the one purpose MFP is primarily for, logging food, isn't used all the time for a lot of people.

I mostly agree, but I know when I first started here I just estimated and used cups and all that. When people talked about weighing precisely I thought it sounded crazy and like something I would never do, and if I'd thought it was required I would have been discouraged. (I didn't, since I'd been losing without logging at all.)

I had success, and continued and then caught the data bug and wanted to figure my TDEE and bought a scale. At that point I discovered that for me using the scale and having precise numbers was fun, didn't add much to cooking time (I was chopping anyway), and ended up being easier than trying to estimate (since I'm too obsessive and drive myself crazy second guessing the numbers).

But if you'd told me I needed to do that early on I'd not have understood or believed it was reasonable at all, so I understand why some don't, especially if it's working for them.

However, I never would have said "why am I not losing" if I didn't actually know the calories I'd been eating, and I would have been aware that I didn't have a good sense of those calories if just roughly estimating, especially if I didn't log anything. So why people ask when they don't know or think they KNOW they are eating 1150 under those circumstances, I don't really understand. Except, of course, humans.

Technically I do not measure things as accurately as I can, because I have been using measuring cups and spoons (though I did order a kitchen scale last week, yaaay!) and I have slip ups here and there. However, I also try to walk/jog/sprint intervals as much as I can at work and I try to be active at home.

Maybe it's just because I started out way bigger, but I have seen 95% down trends and I haven't been to the gram. I just eat smaller portions of the deathly delicious calorie bombs and eat more low-calorie nutrient-dense veggies and dark leafy greens.

I imagine it will be fun for me to weigh my food too! :smiley:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Considering so many people complain about not losing weight, it is a little weird that the one purpose MFP is primarily for, logging food, isn't used all the time for a lot of people.

I mostly agree, but I know when I first started here I just estimated and used cups and all that. When people talked about weighing precisely I thought it sounded crazy and like something I would never do, and if I'd thought it was required I would have been discouraged. (I didn't, since I'd been losing without logging at all.)

I had success, and continued and then caught the data bug and wanted to figure my TDEE and bought a scale. At that point I discovered that for me using the scale and having precise numbers was fun, didn't add much to cooking time (I was chopping anyway), and ended up being easier than trying to estimate (since I'm too obsessive and drive myself crazy second guessing the numbers).

But if you'd told me I needed to do that early on I'd not have understood or believed it was reasonable at all, so I understand why some don't, especially if it's working for them.

However, I never would have said "why am I not losing" if I didn't actually know the calories I'd been eating, and I would have been aware that I didn't have a good sense of those calories if just roughly estimating, especially if I didn't log anything. So why people ask when they don't know or think they KNOW they are eating 1150 under those circumstances, I don't really understand. Except, of course, humans.

Technically I do not measure things as accurately as I can, because I have been using measuring cups and spoons (though I did order a kitchen scale last week, yaaay!) and I have slip ups here and there. However, I also try to walk/jog/sprint intervals as much as I can at work and I try to be active at home.

Maybe it's just because I started out way bigger, but I have seen 95% down trends and I haven't been to the gram. I just eat smaller portions of the deathly delicious calorie bombs and eat more low-calorie nutrient-dense veggies and dark leafy greens.

nah, not really. i wasn't overweight when i started out and i still lost weight without logging religiously and with having cheat days where i didn't log at all.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you all why I don't log all of my shame treats. Because if it's not on my log when I'm successful at the end of my journey weight loss mission, then it didn't happen, because I was successful when it's all over, sometime in the future.
  • beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all.

QFT

• ogmomma2012
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

nah, not really. i wasn't overweight when i started out and i still lost weight without logging religiously and with having cheat days where i didn't log at all.

Good for you! :smiley: Maybe it's just because of how I have ingrained logging into my head, I am afraid that if I start slipping, I won't be able to recover. Even when I did accidentally miss a day, I still logged what I ate the next day... but I still lost my streak. :'(
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I started out logging fanatically, but I do it because I got to my weight by not KNOWING what I was eating. I was miscalculating things badly. So I am very strict about new things, and to learn portion sizes - to educate myself on realistic sizes and caloric amounts. I don't think or indeed want it to be something I do every day of the rest of my life; I don't like the power to make every calorie a war. So I do it enough to educate myself, but not so much to obsess over it.

And I agree, MFP is awesome for barcodes. Not so much if, like others on here, I make almost every thing I eat from scratch. I abandoned recipes almost as soon as I tried them; now I just log separate ingredients and do it according to ratios consumed.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it. At the worst of times - when I had depression and an injury and couldn't exercise and didn't care what I ate because everything sucked and chocolate is yummy - I gained about 15 pounds over the course of 9 months. That means I was eating an average of 200 calories more than my TDEE. Which isn't that much more.

Currently, I'm eating ~ 350 calories below my TDEE when I log my food. So even if I'm eating 200 calories above when I don't log (which I doubt I am, since I'm more active now), I'm still going to be in a deficit for the week. And I've lost every week since I've been back, usually more than I expected, so it's working for me.

If it stops working for me, I'll tighten up my logging.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Zaftique wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.

*kitten* yeah! In fact, I haven't been over to the feedback forums to *kitten* icantbelieveyoufuckerscensorbitch about the recipe builder in a while. Thanks for reminding me.

Recipe builder is why I still maintain a sparkpeople acct in addition to this one. My original intention was to just switch here completely, but I have to keep going back over there to calculate anything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »
    now I just log separate ingredients and do it according to ratios consumed.

I do this probably 80% of the time.

• anacd
    anacd Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think the OP is talking about people who confess to not logging every single thing every day. But there were a lot of people who said something along the lines of, "I ate an entire box/bag/gallon of <insert "bad" food> and didn't log it." Or, "If I know I'm going over my calorie goal, I stop logging for the day." I think those are the kinds of comments the OP is referring to.

That's exactly what OP is talking about and I totally agree with OP's point. Regardless of me logging that ice cream I ate yesterday (it was soooo good), the calories and fat and sugar are going to my body anyways. I think what happens to those people who don't log these items is that they are in denial trying making themselves not to feel bad for what they did wrong. In my opinion this is a huge red flag is regards to the commitment they have to reach their goals. In my experience, when I'm in this denial mode trying to hide my fattening mistakes is when I end up giving up and not going anywhere. Once I decided to be honest to myself and admit that what I eat above my calorie goal or that is unhealthy is not hurting anybody but me, only then I started to lose weight and feel more confident that I can actually reach my goal (I still have a loooong way ahead of me, but I'm progressing :smile: )
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be. [/quote]

I <3 You! I hate it too!!! and yes I've tried a wide variety of exercises, classes and teams, blah blah blah...but I hate it! But I do it, because i hate my fat *kitten* even more. Just like you said, I hate it when it's balls cold outside and I have to go to work, but I do it. I also dislike the fact that my body rejects any form of dairy, but I'd rather eat pea protein than crap my brains out. So yeah...thanx for your perspective, glad I'm not the only one, and as for the other posters, super happy you are amazing and you have truly found what you love.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I often don't log when I go over, and I'll freely admit it's sheer bloody laziness and a symptom of my "F**k it, I'll get back on it tomorrow" attitude.

And all of that is precisely why I haven't actually lost ANY weight since November last year.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I often don't log when I go over, and I'll freely admit it's sheer bloody laziness and a symptom of my "F**k it, I'll get back on it tomorrow" attitude.

And all of that is precisely why I haven't actually lost ANY weight since November last year.

I'm not trying to be snarky at all, but if you know the answer to your problem, why not use it?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What part of non judgemental don't you understand OP? The thread is highly successful because it allows people to have their say without judgement.

Don't take that away from them. By voicing their secret cheating and having it out in the open will possibly allow them to see how pointless it is when they don't log honestly.

Tread carefully with this thread.