Options

Replies

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    terem00 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

But if you HAVE to do it and there are a million ways to do it, why wouldn't you find that something that you could love and enjoy so that you stick with it?
    If you hate it you will give up, simple as that! (As for pooping, if you don't do it, then I say good luck with the rest of your day ..hardly the same comparison)

I only used the pooping comparison because she used it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    OK, I get liking exercise. Totally. I love certain types of exercise. I do not get liking logging. It's tedious as heck. It's necessary, sure, and it's nice to be able to log and then come over and chat in the forums, but I can totally understand hating logging. It can be very involved depending on what you ate, and you have to keep doing it for an indeterminable amount of time. There is literally no end in sight.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Because high numbers are scary, and I know I'll go purge if I see them. It's not like I think it doesn't count, I just don't really want to torture myself about it. If you can just shrug and write it off as a bad day and get on with your life, that's great, but some people can't.
  • JSurita2
    Options
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Uh...No I'm not sorry and I'm not doing anything wrong. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm not extremely fond of pooping either but I still have to do it. I don't enjoy going out in the brutal cold to go to work but I still do it. But hey, if you only do things you enjoy then Kudos to you.

If you dislike your exercise, you're doing it wrong. Pick things you actually LIKE doing. I do as little cardio as I can because I don't really like it, although I'm starting to like it a bit more now. So I primarily lift because I love it.

And if logging is this torturous to you then you are clearly not tailoring your experience to make the time spent here reasonably comfortable.

AGAIN I'm not doing it wrong just because I dont' like it. That is your opinion and we all have those.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OK, I get liking exercise. Totally. I love certain types of exercise. I do not get liking logging. It's tedious as heck. It's necessary, sure, and it's nice to be able to log and then come over and chat in the forums, but I can totally understand hating logging. It can be very involved depending on what you ate, and you have to keep doing it for an indeterminable amount of time. There is literally no end in sight.

I enjoy logging because it's pretty simple (I created my own private database to further simplify it), helps me control my results, and enables me to eat whatever I want while still losing weight. And it only adds an extra few minutes to my day overall.
  • JSurita2
    Options

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.

Yes THIS...thank you! Although dancing is great and I like doing that.
  • ana3067
    Options

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be.

And why do you hate dieting? Is it because you eat 1200 calories? Cut out foods you love? Omit food groups? Have some crazy stupid rules that are not sustainable?

What about exercise? Is it because you do like an hour of cardio every day? OR do exercises you just dislike? Granted, I used to like doing an hour of cardio every day. now I like being able to deadlift 200lbs.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a freak. I log it all. Even creamer. I should say, especially creamer, I measure 2 tbsp of 1/2 & 1/2 into my coffee each and every time. I figure before I started doing that, I was likely consuming a minimum 1/2 CUP of cream every day. My freaky logging-it-all has produced stellar results for me. I have the time to log, so I make the time.
  • ana3067
    Options

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a good way to spin your wheels.

I didn't respond to that thread, but I don't log everything. Most days I'm good about it, but I take many days off from logging at all.

Why do I do this?

Because when I started here, weighing more than 300 pounds, I set out to not just lose weight but develop a system for maintaining that loss. When you have 130 pounds to lose, the mountain you've gotta climb is high. The idea of having to somehow log a Korean buffet or 13 course tasting menu or Christmas dinner seemed both annoying and pointless (how accurately would the log be anyway?).

Plus...I could not face logging every day for the rest of my life. I wanted to eat without concern for calories, sometimes. I wanted to enjoy a meal out without pulling out my phone to estimate the calories. I didn't want calories to rule my life, every day.

But! I figured I could probably log my calories most of the time without going insane. I precisely logged typically, but while losing I took a day or two off a month and ate how I pleased without bothering to try to guess calories. I planned these around events typically - holidays, weddings, reunions. Knowing I had these days off made it so much easier to stick to my plan, and the weight flew off.

So that's how I lost 130 pounds, and it's now I've maintained this loss for going on three years. Now I log weekdays at a deficit and don't log on the weekends. Voila - painless maintenance.

As you said, my body keeps a perfect record of what I eat for me whether I log or not. If my weight goes up, I tighten up the logging for awhile.

So my answer to your question is: I use MFP in a way that is sustainable for me in the long-term. That means logging most of the time but not every time. It keeps me sane, happy, and healthy.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I only don't log spices or e.g. the one-fry type thing. Which doesn't happen often either. Otherwise if I'm not logging it's because I'm taking the night off for a party or something and I don't have any idea of what will be served ahead of time and it's a bother to interrupt my enjoyment just to log. Other times I will log estimates as best I can in those situations.

This is what I do as well. If I go over for the day, I don't always hit the finished logging for the day to let my friends know I went over, but I'm generally logging it anyhow. I want to know what worked and what didn't when I step on the scale every week.

For the record, I love almost every exercise I've tried. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes procrastinate or not do it, but when I'm doing it I always enjoy it. I can't imagine myself doing it if I hated it... to each his/her own I suppose. I think I'd keep trying new things until I found something I like.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Because high numbers are scary, and I know I'll go purge if I see them. It's not like I think it doesn't count, I just don't really want to torture myself about it. If you can just shrug and write it off as a bad day and get on with your life, that's great, but some people can't.

I hadn't thought of that. Yes, avoiding ED triggers would be a legit good reason not to log. Good luck in your recovery!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a psychological thing...people just don't like seeing what they've eaten when they've eaten badly, and it makes them more likely to do it again? I don't know. If they're still losing weight, then does it matter? And if they're not, then they know why not. I'm sure they don't do it every day.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, so sometimes at the end of the night, if I know I've got a few hundred exorcise calories banked I'll grab a small snack (usually less than 150 cal) and I may or may not take the time to log it.

I know it doesn't really help me keep myself honest with my macros, but when it's easy math, and I'm at the end of the day anyway, I'm willing to settle for "close enough," so long as I'm still certain I didn't go over for the day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Uh...No I'm not sorry and I'm not doing anything wrong. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm not extremely fond of pooping either but I still have to do it. I don't enjoy going out in the brutal cold to go to work but I still do it. But hey, if you only do things you enjoy then Kudos to you.

If you dislike your exercise, you're doing it wrong. Pick things you actually LIKE doing. I do as little cardio as I can because I don't really like it, although I'm starting to like it a bit more now. So I primarily lift because I love it.

And if logging is this torturous to you then you are clearly not tailoring your experience to make the time spent here reasonably comfortable.

logging is not torturous, but it's not always fun either. it's also not always necessary. when i was losing weight and had meals that were difficult to figure out the calories of easily, i just didn't log that day. i still lost a lot of weight anyway due to the days i did log. so, not sure how i would be "doing it wrong" if it worked.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Depends on how you're logging. I don't use the recipe builder because it's slow as hell and I have to turn off half my antivirus just to get it to show up. I write things down as I weigh, log them when I'm done. If it's a big batch, I use a site with a better recipe builder to get the info, and enter that as a new food with one serving of the total grams in the whole recipe. When I tried using the recipe builder, it would take 20 minutes. When I just log as I go, it never takes more than 2 or 3. If I'm using an ingredient I've never used before, I take a picture of the nutrition label while I cook, and if I can't find the right entry on the first try, just add it from the label (without sharing, no need to have 51 entries where there are already 50 bad ones).
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I'm one of the people in the other thread who confessed to not logging my Coke-And-Pie days, and those happen every Sunday.

I guess, to answer the OP, I know I'm not fooling myself, and I know the calories count. I tend to be under on those days (perhaps subconsciously to make up for my half a pie and 12 oz. coke). I'm also eating a decent deficit and am comfortable with the fact that the completion of my goal might be a bit delayed because I choose not to log about 300 calories once a week. It's a conscious decision and I'm okay with the consequences.
  • JSurita2
    Options

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be.

And why do you hate dieting? Is it because you eat 1200 calories? Cut out foods you love? Omit food groups? Have some crazy stupid rules that are not sustainable?

What about exercise? Is it because you do like an hour of cardio every day? OR do exercises you just dislike? Granted, I used to like doing an hour of cardio every day. now I like being able to deadlift 200lbs.

The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Those are NOT the reasons.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Also, I'm totally in. Dis gun be good!

giphy.gif