Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Zaftique wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.

The recipe builder does suck, but it's usable on the website. At least it is with your own private database.

I have 10 recipes show up on each page, whether on my desktop or my ~14in laptop.

I still recommend editing existing recipes instead of having 9 versions of beef and stew.

I update the recipes I have, and I muddle through with the (old) builder on the website, but I think you've got fairly generous definition of "usable" when it comes to the recipe importer.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Is this thread just about those who don't log consistently? Or can I also judge people from that thread for other things? Like, seriosly, who the hell wraps themselves in glorified saran wrap and expects to lose weight? It[doesn't]Work!

I love how Kim Kardashian took something that was basically an urban legend and made it mainstream.

I live in Florida. It's too hot for that nonsense here.

I went to a "party" *ahemsalespitch* where me and other girls did this. I was the only one who "lost" inches and the girl was desperately trying to convince me how I had lost all these toxins, and can't you see the difference? Erughmmm, no, I can see how you're a terribly inconsistent measure-er, but that's about it. Terrible waste of time with terrible waste of people.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.

The recipe builder does suck, but it's usable on the website. At least it is with your own private database.

I have 10 recipes show up on each page, whether on my desktop or my ~14in laptop.

I still recommend editing existing recipes instead of having 9 versions of beef and stew.

I update the recipes I have, and I muddle through with the (old) builder on the website, but I think you've got fairly generous definition of "usable" when it comes to the recipe importer.

I don't use the importer, I just create the recipes by searching ingredients. The few times I tried out that importer it was....... poop lol. I've done everything possible to make logging here as seamless and simple for myself as possible, and one of those things was to create my own private database so I don't have to riffle through thousands of the same database entries. This likely makes my use of the recipe function a lot easier.

This is actually a function that I think MFP should include. People can still search the database, but they should be able to favourite foods or add them to their own database so that those things always come up first when searching and so they don't get erased. Like, I have 10+ pages of foods in my database compared to the limited 4 pages you get for Most recent and Most Frequent. I can always make sure the info is correct, it usually comes up right away in searches (some I've had to add my initials to though for this to happen), and it makes MFP easier to use. I think CalorieCount allows this, which I used for a short time but it doesn't allow internet-less useage like I can pull off with the MFP app. I did way prefer CalorieCount though.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

It's terrible. I'm too lazy to sign up at Spark to see what they've got.

The other day I made pancakes. Aunt Maple's buttermilk pancake mix and 1% milk.

My two results were maple candy and cream of wheat made with 1% milk MFP are you kidding me
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

Its not "my weightloss pal"...

Based on the amount of posts in the General Diet and Weight Loss forum, a large majority of users are here for weight management first. And most people unfortunately use/view exercise as being for/causing weight loss.

But the person you are discussing with might understand the utility of exercise and do it with that goal in mind. It sometimes takes a long time to get to the point of enjoyment. And yes, there are people that are motivated to get things done because they see it as a necessary evil. Enjoyment doesn't always help - sometimes it leads to inconsistency when it wanes.

Personally I function best on the enjoyment side but I'm wary because I know I need to do things I enjoy less. I hate stretching but it is scheduled and done as a necessity. As are warm-ups. Or I pay the price.

And lest we forget, logging isn't an obligation for weight loss, it's just a very very useful tool to learn new habits.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Yeah, 10 recipes may show up on the page as a whole, with lots of scrolling. But I can only see 5 at a time on my screen. It would be nice if they had a "compact" option, where I can see 15 or so recipe links in 6 inches of actual screen space. For comparison, I can see 24 emails in 6" of space in my Gmail. Save the cluttering picture space for the recipe itself when you click on it. I've just given up on editing old recipes, I'll just delete it and start over if the ingredients are varying beyond a few ounces.

Seriously, like I said, I can go on and on and on. ;)
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log *everything* until Apple invents the gadget you install in your mouth that automatically logs every calorie you eat to your iPhone. Can that be far away? Maybe a tooth implant or a sensor?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

I know it isn't, but it is required for bone health and to keep arthritis from becoming disabling. It's okay, though. Most of the things we do most days are out of being responsible, not because we love them.

+1

I don't mind (and actually quite enjoy) exercise, which is fortunate for me, but you know what I freaking hate? Taking public transportation, especially when it's this ridiculously cold. I do it anyway--just like I exercise when I don't feel like it and eat vegetables sometimes when I'm really in the mood for cookie dough--because that's life.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why not just log accurately and claim the choice that you have made?

(1) Sometimes logging can be a lot of work and isn't that accurate anyway. Logging that piece of chocolate cake may fall into that category. That's one reason I didn't log my office Christmas party. (I probably quick added, but it probably had no meaningful relationship to the actual calories consumed, a number I don't know.)

(2) Human beings aren't always logical and sometimes find it difficult to do things that seem to others to be not difficult. Seeing that red line or listing various food items, even if only seen by them, may be such things. Personally, sometimes I think I'm not logging or weighing myself because I want to live in denial about my choices--I tend to denial as a defense mechanism in a bad way, so this is something I'm a bit wary of in myself. But sometimes I'm just being lazy or figure I know I'm over for the week and am not bothered by it, so why force myself. That doesn't happen much since I tend to be someone who uses the tool to focus on data, as that's what motivates ME, but not everyone is the same.
  • Poodles56
    Options
    Agree, we all fall of the wagon every now and then. It is an exercise in denial not recording most of the food that is consumed during the day.

There are people that are into eating healthy, and those that are into weight loss. In the end healthy eating leads to weight loss and feeling good.
    I realized today how much eating (and overeating) is really a mental process - and I am working in finding a way to suppress the "Look, sourdough bread! Look, chocolate brioche! Look, free food!" mode in my brain. The brain wants us to have fat because that is how we survived the ice age, period of hunger in our human history that goes way back, many, many tenth of thousands of years. It is hard to go against our own genetic make-up with all this abundance of food that surrounds us.

So, the previously mentioned thread was amusing at first, but then I realized it is not helping - except for making me more aware of my own failings, but - I still recorded everything I could remember I ate that I did not have too.

If one is not honest with oneself - then what is the point for doing anything?
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log *everything* until Apple invents the gadget you install in your mouth that automatically logs every calorie you eat to your iPhone. Can that be far away? Maybe a tooth implant or a sensor?

I like how you think ;) It would be cool.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I like logging. I like walking. I like my results. I try my best to eat what I can log the most accurately, and even if I can't, I'd rather log SOMETHING similar to what I ate than nothing. I always make new recipes because I LOVE all 8 of my breakfast potatos and 7 breakfast burritos. I have over 50 recipes because it's NOT hard to make a recipe! And it'll be even MORE accurate once I get that kitchen scale I ordered!

Considering so many people complain about not losing weight, it is a little weird that the one purpose MFP is primarily for, logging food, isn't used all the time for a lot of people.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Well, the bathroom scale does sort of give a reading, though the lag is annoying... ;)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Considering how many posts *kitten* about "loose" vs. "lose," I was surprised to see no one own up to it. It's a good thing, too, 'cause I would have judged those mfers...harshly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    In my case, if I don't log it's because I either had one of those meals with so many components it'd take an hour to log it all (if I can even guess what's in it semi-accurately), or because I went to something like a pot-luck or buffet and had a bite of so many different things that again, it'd take an hour to log it all.

Plus, I'm at maintenance and don't care much if there a small bump in my weight. It'll come right back off if I'm patient.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why not just log accurately and claim the choice that you have made?

(1) Sometimes logging can be a lot of work and isn't that accurate anyway. Logging that piece of chocolate cake may fall into that category. That's one reason I didn't log my office Christmas party. (I probably quick added, but it probably had no meaningful relationship to the actual calories consumed, a number I don't know.)

(2) Human beings aren't always logical and sometimes find it difficult to do things that seem to others to be not difficult. Seeing that red line or listing various food items, even if only seen by them, may be such things. Personally, sometimes I think I'm not logging or weighing myself because I want to live in denial about my choices--I tend to denial as a defense mechanism in a bad way, so this is something I'm a bit wary of in myself. But sometimes I'm just being lazy or figure I know I'm over for the week and am not bothered by it, so why force myself. That doesn't happen much since I tend to be someone who uses the tool to focus on data, as that's what motivates ME, but not everyone is the same.

Pretty much what I do. And if I do end up gaining some because of it, I know where it came from. I'm not in denial about that, just don't always want to dwell on it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Considering so many people complain about not losing weight, it is a little weird that the one purpose MFP is primarily for, logging food, isn't used all the time for a lot of people.

I mostly agree, but I know when I first started here I just estimated and used cups and all that. When people talked about weighing precisely I thought it sounded crazy and like something I would never do, and if I'd thought it was required I would have been discouraged. (I didn't, since I'd been losing without logging at all.)

I had success, and continued and then caught the data bug and wanted to figure my TDEE and bought a scale. At that point I discovered that for me using the scale and having precise numbers was fun, didn't add much to cooking time (I was chopping anyway), and ended up being easier than trying to estimate (since I'm too obsessive and drive myself crazy second guessing the numbers).

But if you'd told me I needed to do that early on I'd not have understood or believed it was reasonable at all, so I understand why some don't, especially if it's working for them.

However, I never would have said "why am I not losing" if I didn't actually know the calories I'd been eating, and I would have been aware that I didn't have a good sense of those calories if just roughly estimating, especially if I didn't log anything. So why people ask when they don't know or think they KNOW they are eating 1150 under those circumstances, I don't really understand. Except, of course, humans.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Can we complain about other things?

WHO SAYS toys today are better than what we had in the 80's?

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Is this thread just about those who don't log consistently? Or can I also judge people from that thread for other things? Like, seriosly, who the hell wraps themselves in glorified saran wrap and expects to lose weight? It[doesn't]Work!

I like where this is going.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Can we complain about other things?

WHO SAYS toys today are better than what we had in the 80's?

Gosh yes. I had to wait until I was 12 to get my first game console. My kids are 6 and have tablets.