Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Zaftique wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.

*kitten* yeah! In fact, I haven't been over to the feedback forums to *kitten* icantbelieveyoufuckerscensorbitch about the recipe builder in a while. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I log every binge for data purposes... I don't see the point of logging either if you're not going to log the big stuff... I like knowing where I stand and see my weight change do I can adjust my calories... that's the whole point!

I definitely log my binges. I don't care about the data, but seeing that number after eating 5000 calories in a day gets me right back on track.

A lot of the time I won't log in detail if I'm eating somewhere fancy and I can barely identify wtf is even on my plate, but I'll usually just dump a Quick Add Calories of 900ish even if it puts me way over. My problem is usually a pre-bedtime smidge of cheese or something, after I've already closed my diary 3 hours prior. SECRET EATINGGGGGGGG.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.

*kitten* yeah! In fact, I haven't been over to the feedback forums to *kitten* icantbelieveyoufuckerscensorbitch about the recipe builder in a while. Thanks for reminding me.

6ac996eba63befcc968edc3d9617f005a9a177165f025c473343029841771409.jpg
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I log every binge for data purposes... I don't see the point of logging either if you're not going to log the big stuff... I like knowing where I stand and see my weight change do I can adjust my calories... that's the whole point!

I definitely log my binges. I don't care about the data, but seeing that number after eating 5000 calories in a day gets me right back on track.

same
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Wow, this blew up while I was away.

I totally did not consider the ED perspective. That's not my struggle and I didn't consider that someone could be triggered by seeing the red. And I appreciate @ShannonMpls and the others who said they don't do it because it wouldn't be sustainable. @tincanonastring, I swear I wasn't sly digging your once a week treat--I just kept seeing people talking about not logging binges.

I should keep my eyes on my own paper, but I still felt the need to make a thread about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    These are the same people who post

"HELP ive been eating healthy and exercising for two weeks and ive gained 3 lbs nothings working"

They expect the weight to magically melt off if they simply log in and enter a couple of items a day....

They don't understand teh maths
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I ate three samples from nothing Bundt and a couple handfuls of hubbys frys....I'm not gonna log it. I also only do this every couple of weeks and I don't log dog walks. 3-5 miles a day so it washes out!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Wow, this blew up while I was away.

I totally did not consider the ED perspective. That's not my struggle and I didn't consider that someone could be triggered by seeing the red. And I appreciate @ShannonMpls and the others who said they don't do it because it wouldn't be sustainable. @tincanonastring, I swear I wasn't sly digging your once a week treat--I just kept seeing people talking about not logging binges.

I should keep my eyes on my own paper, but I still felt the need to make a thread about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No worries on my end. There's a certain level of cognitive dissonance that comes with not logging and I don't see any harm in calling that out. As long as the people who cheat are aware of the consquences and accept them, though, i'm pretty "meh" about the whole thing.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between not logging your cinnamon and not logging the 600-calorie sugary snack that you have late at night 4 times a week. I feel like there are a lot of people doing the latter.

Nobody's log is 100% accurate, but I feel like unless you can get it somewhere in the 90%+ accuracy range, it's really not worth bothering. There is no point in analyzing data unless your data has some reliability.

and if logging 50% of the time helps someone to lose weight and it works, who are you to tell them they did it wrong? the results are what matter in the end here, not the process.

I am the person who has lost/maintained 90 pounds for several years in spite of HUGE health issues. I weigh 30 pounds less than is supposed to be possible for someone with my challenges. I've learned things through accurate logging that I never would have been able to figure out without that data.

I'm also someone who understands how quantitative research is supposed to work.

People who are logging half-way are cheating themselves--not only in terms of the weight on the scale, but with respect to the learning experience that they are missing out on by cheating.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with eating disorders for years. I've found that I'm more likely to binge/purge if I don't log the binge. It's more secret that way. I've identified several of my triggers by logging the binge when it happened and what was happening in my life / how I was feeling when it happened.

I'm sure it isn't like that for everyone, but for me this is how my psych, counselor, nutritionist and I figured out a lot of things...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

I know it isn't, but it is required for bone health and to keep arthritis from becoming disabling. It's okay, though. Most of the things we do most days are out of being responsible, not because we love them.
    You don't need to be in pain, sweating ridiculously, or be exhausted from exercise. Go out for a nightly walk, ride your bike at a leisurely pace, go ice skating in the winter, etc. Find activity you actually enjoy, because what's the point in doing something for improved health if you aren't enjoying yourself while doing it?
  • tincanonastring
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is this thread just about those who don't log consistently? Or can I also judge people from that thread for other things? Like, seriously, who the hell wraps themselves in glorified saran wrap and expects to lose weight? It[doesn't]Work!
  • ana3067
    Options

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be.

And why do you hate dieting? Is it because you eat 1200 calories? Cut out foods you love? Omit food groups? Have some crazy stupid rules that are not sustainable?

What about exercise? Is it because you do like an hour of cardio every day? OR do exercises you just dislike? Granted, I used to like doing an hour of cardio every day. now I like being able to deadlift 200lbs.

The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Those are NOT the reasons.

Then what are your reasons? You'd do well figuring out your reasons for "hating" logging and exercise. If you simply hate logging, then opt for a different way of tracking intake that results in a calorie deficit - weight watchers, "eat clean," etc.

And for exercise... just don't do it if you're not willing to try different things to find something you enjoy.

Whatever my reasons are, they are MY reasons. Just because people are not like you does not make them wrong. If I choose to do exercises I hate then I will do them. I don't have to "find" anything. It doesn't mean I'm "not willing" it just means I'm a grownass woman and will do whatever I want and have to do. I don't have to like or enjoy every single thing I do. If you do, then again, GOOD FOR YOU! We are 2 different people.

I am not requesting that you tell me your reasons. I am saying "what are you reasons, you should figure them out for yourself." Many people have used methods they did not enjoy for weight loss and... well, it didn't stick. That's how I yo-yoed for 4 years and wound up regaining most of what I lost before joining MFP.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Easy answer to the OP...ignorance is bliss.
  • ana3067
    Options

Its not "my weightloss pal"...

Based on the amount of posts in the General Diet and Weight Loss forum, a large majority of users are here for weight management first. And most people unfortunately use/view exercise as being for/causing weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between not logging your cinnamon and not logging the 600-calorie sugary snack that you have late at night 4 times a week. I feel like there are a lot of people doing the latter.

Nobody's log is 100% accurate, but I feel like unless you can get it somewhere in the 90%+ accuracy range, it's really not worth bothering. There is no point in analyzing data unless your data has some reliability.
    I agree on the whole but I think there are a lot of people who have no intention of ever analyzing their data after the fact, they simply log to motivate themselves to eat according to plan. So after they go off the rails, why bother? The horse is out of the barn.

I too want analyzable data in the end, though. But I think many people don't do much post-analysis and don't want their slip-ups advertised to their MFP friends?

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Is this thread just about those who don't log consistently? Or can I also judge people from that thread for other things? Like, seriosly, who the hell wraps themselves in glorified saran wrap and expects to lose weight? It[doesn't]Work!

I love how Kim Kardashian took something that was basically an urban legend and made it mainstream.

I live in Florida. It's too hot for that nonsense here.
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I know you're not referring to every tiny little bite, occasionally I chew gum and don't log it. lol.

I read about half that thread and it really ticked me off because those are the same people that tell you how they tried dieting and it didn't work. I felt the same as you, you're not cheating anyone but yourself, they're your results.

I'm currently training to be a personal trainer and I made notes about some of the comments because I'll be ready to knock them out of the park before they are brought up, in a tactful manner not just to be a jerk.

I'm so proud of my success with my food intake (not diet) and my training performance.

I make mistakes and overeat sometimes, but I also log it and it shows I overate in my diary. There's no point in hiding it from anyone, they can see my waistline anyway.
    I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a good way to spin your wheels.

• ana3067
    Options

The recipe builder does suck, but it's usable on the website. At least it is with your own private database.

I have 10 recipes show up on each page, whether on my desktop or my ~14in laptop.

I still recommend editing existing recipes instead of having 9 versions of beef and stew.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything anymore. It's all in my head, and I like to keep tabs on what I'm consuming-but at a certain point in my day I'm like, "I have been up since 4, I haven't sat down yet today, and I still have another 100 things to do before I can go to bed. Eff it, I'm having a waffle."